Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apparently, this isn't going to happen anymore.

Some argue (on the T-Mobile subreddit) that the CEO was forced to save face by calling it a 'test' when it really wasn't. Another that responded to a comment I made has suggested that this was the first test of several small tests that will collectively migrate all customers on old plans to new plans over time.

Only the CEO and those behind this really know. The rest of us just have to keep an eye on them and our plans.

Reactions: Rafagon

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Yea, T-mobile got caught with “their hand in the cookie jar”. And their response was, “I only put it there because my fingers were cold and I was just trying to warm them up”

Attachments

• IMG_6391.jpeg
    IMG_6391.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 26

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
After 16 years with T-moblie, I am fed up with them, I took my 3 lines to another company this week.

Like all have said in this post, the fact they lost my info 2 times and it wasn't just basic info and before that happened I always complained why did they need my SS number. Now taking away my auto pay for 3 lines and home internet so $20 extra a month. This would have been the 3rd time they made me change plans. The big decline in customer service over the last 5 years was really sad to watch.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Gandektempacc

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2023
T-Mobile retail stores went away in our neighborhood too. I recently talked with chat and they were able to knock our bill down (granted only for 2 months) and we are on the simple choice plan. I miss John Legere… seemed like a cool dude.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
After 16 years with T-moblie, I am fed up with them, I took my 3 lines to another company this week.

Like all have said in this post, the fact they lost my info 2 times and it wasn't just basic info and before that happened I always complained why did they need my SS number. Now taking away my auto pay for 3 lines and home internet so $20 extra a month. This would have been the 3rd time they made me change plans. The big decline in customer service over the last 5 years was really sad to watch.
I mean no offense, but this has been an interesting thing to watch on the T-Mobile subreddit over the last couple years or so. I've already been where you are after 16 years with Sprint (1999-2015). While not exactly the same type of things you experienced, I've had my own share of bad customer service and certain incidents.

The biggest thing Sprint taught me was that business is not a noble enterprise and that you the customer have no individual value. There is no loyalty in either direction and tenure has no value either. In short, if you have any sort of ethics, you can expect that the businesses you deal with do not hold those same values. I therefore learned from Sprint that as a customer only I cared about myself and so protecting myself from the business I was dealing with was the single best thing I could do.

That held me in good stead when I came over to T-Mobile in 2015 as they tried to screw me over on the first day.

Good luck to you, but I fear you will find wherever you go that things are pretty much the same.

Reactions: culo77 and Fred Zed

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting update from T-Mobile earnings call
Yes, this is the backpedaling CYA move that the CEO is trying. But lets look at how this breaks down…

• Employee releases internal documents on Reddit showing T-Mobile's intention to migrate customers on old plans. Instant outcry when the word gets out.

• Oh, but your price is not being increased! You are simply being moved to a plan with a different price rate. This falls flat as an excuse.

• T-Mobile, when it finally responds, says that this was only for a small group of customers. Notice that at this time they are NOT claiming it was a test.

• More internal documents released on Reddit. This is the first time it's claimed to be a 'test'. Nothing was mentioned about a 'test' in the original leaked documents. T-Mobile knew this second set of internal documents would be leaked so was already in damage control.

• Sievert claims this is a small test in a public statement. First it was a test. Now it was just a 'small' test.

• Then the earnings call where T-Mobile has decided what the CYA move propaganda will be. Small-scale test, limited amount of customers.

Limited they said to around 1% of total customers. With T-Mobile's customer base that amounts to about 1.6 million customers.

Now, here's the thing. Do you really NEED to conduct a 'test' to determine how customers will react to being automatically moved to a plan that costs more?

If you believe that this was a test, rather than a behind your back attempt to charge customers more, then you might believe anything.

T-Mobile got caught and they are making excuses.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Yes, this is the backpedaling CYA move that the CEO is trying. But lets look at how this breaks down…

• Employee releases internal documents on Reddit showing T-Mobile's intention to migrate customers on old plans. Instant outcry when the word gets out.

• Oh, but your price is not being increased! You are simply being moved to a plan with a different price rate. This falls flat as an excuse.

• T-Mobile, when it finally responds, says that this was only for a small group of customers. Notice that at this time they are NOT claiming it was a test.

• More internal documents released on Reddit. This is the first time it's claimed to be a 'test'. Nothing was mentioned about a 'test' in the original leaked documents. T-Mobile knew this second set of internal documents would be leaked so was already in damage control.

• Sievert claims this is a small test in a public statement. First it was a test. Now it was just a 'small' test.

• Then the earnings call where T-Mobile has decided what the CYA move propaganda will be. Small-scale test, limited amount of customers.

Limited they said to around 1% of total customers. With T-Mobile's customer base that amounts to about 1.6 million customers.

Now, here's the thing. Do you really NEED to conduct a 'test' to determine how customers will react to being automatically moved to a plan that costs more?

If you believe that this was a test, rather than a behind your back attempt to charge customers more, then you might believe anything.

T-Mobile got caught and they are making excuses.
Does look like damage control for sure.

Reactions: eyoungren

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
To keep my $10 per month autopay discount I had to move from credit card to bank account. The customer service guy said the cc cos raised their commission from 4% to 8%.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
To keep my $10 per month autopay discount I had to move from credit card to bank account. The customer service guy said the cc cos raised their commission from 4% to 8%.
Yes, this has been a much discussed thing on the T-Mobile subreddit for a few months now. There are multiple threads there and at least one new one created every day.

If you still want to pay via CC, the workaround is to login two days before your bill is due and then just pay with your CC. You keep the discount but still get to pay with your CC.

It totally defeats the very purpose of autopay though. I mean what's the point of having autopay if you're just going to login and pay two days early every month? But for some people, I guess, it was never about autopay. It was about getting the discount.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Having just gone through options since dropping T-Mobile a few months ago, the best prepaid options are Cricket if you're in a strong AT&T market or Visible+ and US Mobile if in a strong Verizon market. A single line on US Mobile is $40 including tax/fees for 50gb premium data and 10gb non-capped hotspot, on the same priority level as Verizon postpaid. I'm trying to get my wife to switch as well which will make it even cheaper. If you don't rely on domestic roaming, you can save a lot of money with prepaid. I've been on postpaid plans since as long as I can remember, seriously questioning ever going that route again. These companies don't need my bank account info or my SSN. It is just cellular service FFS.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.