Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
As a 20 year Sprint user, I noticed months ago that they cut my mobile hotspot speed and data limit. Then, they put it back to the enhanced version that Sprint set before they handed over the accounts. Truly, I'm not sure what good at mobile hotspot at 3G speeds could be today.

I know it's been difficult for them to keep us from being worried about the constant data breaches, but this isn't a way to distract us. I haven't seen any difference in my plan, but hopefully, they won't try that until next year when my iPhone SE contract runs out.

blinker

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
At least we can take some comfort in the fact that there is still some competition in the industry. There are choices we can make.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I haven't seen any difference in my plan, but hopefully, they won't try that until next year when my iPhone SE contract runs out.
Again, emails and texts are not going out until October 17th, assuming your account is flagged to be migrated. It's still two days early.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am currently paying $124 for 3 lines (and Apple Watch, and call block for 2 lines) and the new GoPlus 55 plan would be $26 more. Like I said, T-Mobile is lying to people claiming the migration won't cost more.
I just dropped two lines last night, not because of this but for other reasons. Although, that's two lines they can't hit me extra with now. I'm glad you were able to get your opt out, but I tried twice and they wouldn't let me add it until the 17th.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
This was posted on the T-Mobile Reddit today…

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/175egka
View attachment 2293163

You can get this added I guess by calling and opting out. It then becomes an option inside your account to prevent migration to a newer plan.

Note, this is NOT my account shown above, it's from the link.

Okay, so TMobile has removed front end visibility to this feature code to the customer (aka now when you login to TMobile.com or the TMobile app and go into 'Manage Add Ons') you will NOT see this feature code listed anywhere.

Here's the article (credit :JMan from Reddit ) stating this : https://tmo.report/2023/10/heres-how-to-opt-out-of-the-t-mobile-forced-plan-migrations#optout-check

Here's how to validate if the 'Migration OptOut' is added to your account (provided you called or chatted and were told it's been done)

I'm using a MBP and use FireFox (FF) but the steps should be the same in Windows as well..

Login to your TMobile account on FF > Click on 'Manage Add ons' > once that page loads, press F12 > Opens a split window to the right > Click on Network > Click on XHR in that window > Look under the 'Files' column for the file named 'get-odf' and d-click on it, and anew window should open. In that new window, there is a search box under ' Headers ' in that screen that reads ' filter properties ' Click in there and type ' optout ' ( no spaces )..

You should see ' allCurrentServiceDetails' populate under JSON.

Click on the play ' > ' button on the left to expand to reveal the OptOut details.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Okay, so TMobile has removed front end visibility to this feature code to the customer (aka now when you login to TMobile.com or the TMobile app and go into 'Manage Add Ons') you will NOT see this feature code listed anywhere.

Here's the article (credit :JMan from Reddit ) stating this : https://tmo.report/2023/10/heres-how-to-opt-out-of-the-t-mobile-forced-plan-migrations#optout-check

Here's how to validate if the 'Migration OptOut' is added to your account (provided you called or chatted and were told it's been done)

I'm using a MBP and use FireFox (FF) but the steps should be the same in Windows as well..

Login to your TMobile account on FF > Click on 'Manage Add ons' > once that page loads, press F12 > Opens a split window to the right > Click on Network > Click on XHR in that window > There's a search box under ' Headers ' in that screen that reads ' filter properties ' Click in there and type ' optout ' ( no spaces )..

Click on the play ' > ' button on the left to expand to reveal the OptOut details.

Hope that helps!
If I had to guess, I would say T-Mobile removed the visual display so people would be less likely to know there was a way to opt out moving forward.

Reactions: nxt3

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Login to your TMobile account on FF > Click on 'Manage Add ons' > once that page loads, press F12 > Opens a split window to the right > Click on Network > Click on XHR in that window > There's a search box under ' Headers ' in that screen that reads ' filter properties ' Click in there and type ' optout ' ( no spaces )..

Hope that helps!
Yeah, I gotta wait until the 17th. I tried twice and both reps said they could not/would not add the opt out. So, I can go look as suggested but if it's not been added it isn't going to be there, right?

Reactions: Chuckeee

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If I had to guess, I would say T-Mobile removed the visual display so people would be less likely to know there was a way to opt out moving forward.
Sprint had an ASUS-1900AU router they were offering once (I have it). They locked the firmware down, but if you use a similar method you can navigate around it and use the router as as regular router. Doing that, people were able to reflash these old Sprint routers and get rid of all the Sprint code.

T-Mob had a similar router at one point (confusingly called the Cellspot) and I imagine it was similar.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Yeah, I gotta wait until the 17th. I tried twice and both reps said they could not/would not add the opt out. So, I can go look as suggested but if it's not been added it isn't going to be there, right?
Don’t give up. It took me three tries. Once claiming it would not effect my current plan. Once claiming it was all a hoax, no one’s plan was going to be changed. The final time I had to sit through a long sales spiel that the update was a great deal.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just contacted T-Mobile via X (Twitter) DM.

Fortunately, T-mobile stated my plan will not be migrated.

I have Simple Choice Unlimited Promotion Plan with multiple lines. I'm thinking maybe cause my plan is a Promo, it won't be affected. So if anyone has a Promo plan, you might not up for migration.

I'm still not completely sold yet, until the 17th ends without receiving that text. 🤞

Here's the copy n paste of the Twitter response.
Hello ----, my name is ----, and thank you for taking time out of your day to reach out to us again in Social Media Care. I understand your concerns, and we always want to make sure that you have complete control and understanding of what's happening with your T-Mobile account and rate plan. The rate plan migration campaign hasn't started yet, however, I was able to review your current plan and I can say for certain that your account is safe from the rate plan migration change! This means that no system generated changes will be applied to your account, and no additional action (opt-out, or credit) is required to keep your plan as it is. Thank you for reaching out and taking time out of your evening to ensure your account is not impacted by this latest change

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No message for me yet. Even still, a little annoyed lol.
…and there won't be a message until at least October 17. Right now it's October 15th. How is it you're waiting for a message two days early?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Again, emails and texts are not going out until October 17th, assuming your account is flagged to be migrated. It's still two days early.
Thank you. I know that. I was mentioning that they've tried a few times to sneak changes to my account already. Under Sprint, I had the same plan so long that I had to explain to current Sprint employees what it was, and why there was a corporate discount for years.

T-Mobile doesn't seem to have any respect for anyone or their data.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you. I know that. I was mentioning that they've tried a few times to sneak changes to my account already. Under Sprint, I had the same plan so long that I had to explain to current Sprint employees what it was, and why there was a corporate discount for years.

T-Mobile doesn't seem to have any respect for anyone or their data.
I'm not surprised by this at all. Disappointed, but not surprised. I know a lot of ex-Sprint customers were really good or okay with Sprint, but that was never my experience. I was with Sprint from 1999-2015, so 16 years. During that time, dealing with Sprint was like dealing with someone that had a multi-personality disorder. You could talk to one rep and get several different stories from other reps. By 2012 I was done being yanked around and started to deal only with Sprint for my plan. That's when I started getting the iPhone.

Sprint's done a lot of boneheaded moves over the years and almost all of those moves impacted me negatively. I finally got out when my wife couldn't make phone calls anymore. That was the last straw, although you know, the Sprint employee that turned my in-person bill payment into his own short-term loan was pretty high up there. :rolleyes:

So yeah, T-Mobile doesn't seem to have any respect for anyone. Been there, done that, have the Sprint phones and old bills to show my 16 year stint of not being respected.

About the old good thing I got out of Sprint was learning how to protect myself against business.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
…and there won't be a message until at least October 17. Right now it's October 15th. How is it you're waiting for a message two days early?

Idk. I read it as “by Oct 17.” I misread

Excuse me, I didn’t read the entire thread.

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
Thanks. I will try this later.
I tried twice and both reps said they could not/would not add the opt out.
I chatted with them yesterday. They said they applied the opt out. We shall see.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm not surprised by this at all. Disappointed, but not surprised. I know a lot of ex-Sprint customers were really good or okay with Sprint, but that was never my experience. I was with Sprint from 1999-2015, so 16 years. During that time, dealing with Sprint was like dealing with someone that had a multi-personality disorder. You could talk to one rep and get several different stories from other reps. By 2012 I was done being yanked around and started to deal only with Sprint for my plan. That's when I started getting the iPhone.

Sprint's done a lot of boneheaded moves over the years and almost all of those moves impacted me negatively. I finally got out when my wife couldn't make phone calls anymore. That was the last straw, although you know, the Sprint employee that turned my in-person bill payment into his own short-term loan was pretty high up there. :rolleyes:

So yeah, T-Mobile doesn't seem to have any respect for anyone. Been there, done that, have the Sprint phones and old bills to show my 16 year stint of not being respected.

About the old good thing I got out of Sprint was learning how to protect myself against business.
Maybe, I was just lucky to have been signed up during an in-company event for all United States-located employees of a company of 50,000 and they took our accounts more seriously, even when we weren't with that company any longer. I was with Sprint for 20 years, starting with a Motorola StarTac for US$9.95.

I've heard plenty about others suffering with Sprint. They didn't have a one-way style of account management. I had hoped that AT&T or Verizon might be good, but there were loads of odd things, such as AT&T charging me for data while my mobile hotspot was in the mail.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

Yeah, if it was never added, you wouldn't see anything related to it.

If you're calling, and the rep isn't aware or willing to look into adding the opt out prior to you getting the txt or email, ask for a supervisor. Folks have had much better success having it added that way!

The thing is, once people start receiving this message, the wait times are going to be horrendous! I believe the affected customers are to the tune of 700K.

Reactions: Chuckeee

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Just contacted T-Mobile via X (Twitter) DM.

Fortunately, T-mobile stated my plan will not be migrated.

I have Simple Choice Unlimited Promotion Plan with multiple lines. I'm thinking maybe cause my plan is a Promo, it won't be affected. So if anyone has a Promo plan, you might not up for migration.

I'm still not completely sold yet, until the 17th ends without receiving that text. 🤞

Here's the copy n paste of the Twitter response.

ALL legacy/grandfathered plans will be migrated. I have the same exact plans (SC unlimited promo to be migrated to the Essentials plan ) and the feature code was added by a willing rep within 2 minutes of calling 611.

I hope you took a screenie of that chat and saved it (time stamps and all).. I'd call and try again and keep an eye out!

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
If you are paying more than $25 a month, total, you are over paying. The days of high cell phone service costs are coming to an end.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
f you are paying more than $25 a month, total, you are over paying. The days of high cell phone service costs are coming to an end.

Not sure why you made this statement when the thread is about how T-Mobile is raising costs. Average U.S. Cellphone bill for a single line is $70.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you are paying more than $25 a month, total, you are over paying. The days of high cell phone service costs are coming to an end.
If you have one line or maybe two and are prepaid or willing to use smaller carriers that don't have all the features that the bigger carriers do then yes you are correct. If you live outside the US, then yes, you are correct.

If you have eight or more lines and are using features beyond bog standard unlimited data, then no. It's not coming to an end. It's getting more expensive.

Reactions: Thor_9

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, if it was never added, you wouldn't see anything related to it.

If you're calling, and the rep isn't aware or willing to look into adding the opt out prior to you getting the txt or email, ask for a supervisor. Folks have had much better success having it added that way!

The thing is, once people start receiving this message, the wait times are going to be horrendous! I believe the affected customers are to the tune of 700K.
I have been using T-Force on 'X' or in the app itself. Have yet to make a phone call…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.