Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm sure a lot of folks will miss the opt-out opportunity and this will be an absolute disaster when they see their new bill. I feel bad for CS reps.

After being on T-mobile for ~10 years I switched to Verizon this past August. I got their newest plans, got $15 discount BYOD per line and got my wife a free iPhone 14PM by trading in her 13PM with a defective camera. All in all I am paying $9 more per month than I was on T-mobile for Verizon's latest plan and I got a free season of NFLSunday ticket...... On T-mobile I was still on the old grandfathered ONE plan... Updating to the new plans would have cost me an extra $90-$100 a month.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This was posted on the T-Mobile Reddit today…

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/175egka
vwy6Icv.png

You can get this added I guess by calling and opting out. It then becomes an option inside your account to prevent migration to a newer plan.

Note, this is NOT my account shown above, it's from the link.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm sure a lot of folks will miss the opt-out opportunity and this will be an absolute disaster when they see their new bill. I feel bad for CS reps.
This was brought up on the T-Mobile reddit yesterday. The speculation is that T-Mobile is counting on this. All the people who do not pay any attention to their accounts.

Reactions: compwiz1202

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Ugh here we go again

I switched to T-Mobile when Verizon tried to the same thing a few years ago

I switched to Verizon when AT&T tried to do same thing a few years before that

Sellers: "If it ain't broke..." 💰💰💰

The best remedy: When one is wronged by any seller, hold it against the seller. With plentiful choices of cellular service providers- one could "punish" some for life.

I once had a bad experience with American Airlines. They chose "maximize profits" over doing the right thing for a plane full of people including me & mine. I still go out of my way- some 12 years later- to NOT fly American Airlines, including paying more to competitors for some flights to NOT give AA new revenue.

When I was younger, select banks started fee'ing "too small" accounts... which- when young- is typically normal account sizes. I dropped those banks over that issue and now- many years later and with much more cash (and thus a much more desirable banking customer)- still go out of my way to never do business with them... even if they are just one of several banks in on some transaction/deal.

If enough consumers would "punish" the wrong-doers with ACTION, sellers will learn to change or eventually be replaced. Unfortunately, too many consumers "just pay" or switch back and usually get it put to them again... and again. Why this keeps happening is it is more $ucce$$ful than not doing such stuff. Consumers reward bad behavior in the most tangible of ways... which naturally leads to more bad behavior.

Consumers withholding money is a VERY POWERFUL tool to shape how consumers are to be treated, correct bad behaviors or even put particularly exploitive entities out of business... IF consumers as a group use that tool. As a side note: it is also the ULTIMATE, fasting-acting way to tame inflation... even drive pricing DOWN (but that's for another thread).

If I were you, AT&T, Verizon and T-mobile would be on my "do no more business with" list... probably for life given how many other choices there are for cell service. There's plenty of fish in that sea. Find one that cares about their customers enough to not try such shenanigans and/or keep adding brands to that list until you do. And if you do find a good one that is later acquired by one of the brands on your list, immediately change to another independent because you'll know what's coming.

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
This was brought up on the T-Mobile reddit yesterday. The speculation is that T-Mobile is counting on this. All the people who do not pay any attention to their accounts.
It's an interesting strategy... It could also backfire and piss a lot of people off to the point of porting over... I'm sure Verizon and AT&T are cooking up attractive port over deals as we speak so they could entice people over..... But I'm sure T-mobile wouldn't make this move without carefully calculating all results first...... I'm sure they came up with a formula which nets them more money from bumping people up to make up for any lost customers.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This was posted on the T-Mobile Reddit today…

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/175egka
View attachment 2293163

You can get this added I guess by calling and opting out. It then becomes an option inside your account to prevent migration to a newer plan.

Note, this is NOT my account shown above, it's from the link.
I am on the phone right now asking them to add the opt out to my account.

Edited to add: The rep said the system wouldn't let him do it early. He asked if I had gotten a phone text. I said no but, many people have called already to have it added to their account.

Reactions: eyoungren

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I read about this on 9to5 this morning. Both my wife and I have been with TMo for 15+ years and this is absolute *********.

Doing the math though, my wife and I might actually save about $10 a month if we switch to their Essentials plan. Having unlimited data is great but when I have unlimited data through my ISP, having it on my phone is dumb. I dont go outside enough to justify needing unlimited data and when I am outside of my house, I'm not streaming netflix so at this point, it's harder to justify needing unlimited data. The rest of the perks are kind of whatever.

If they're going to force my wife and I to switch to a different plan, I might as well beat them to the punch and pay less per month with Essentials.

Reactions: missingar

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
I read about this on 9to5 this morning. Both my wife and I have been with TMo for 15+ years and this is absolute *********.

Doing the math though, my wife and I might actually save about $10 a month if we switch to their Essentials plan. Having unlimited data is great but when I have unlimited data through my ISP, having it on my phone is dumb. I dont go outside enough to justify needing unlimited data and when I am outside of my house, I'm not streaming netflix so at this point, it's harder to justify needing unlimited data. The rest of the perks are kind of whatever.

If they're going to force my wife and I to switch to a different plan, I might as well beat them to the punch and pay less per month with Essentials.
I made this move in the past and got screwed over when those extra taxes & fees were added. The quoted price for essential plans doesn’t include taxes & fees, whereas more expensive plans do include that in the quote. Where I live, they added up to I think $15/month

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I saw this on Reddit yesterday. First, they take away the autopay discount, unless you connect a debit card/checking account. Now they’re banking on customers not taking action to change their plan. My wife and I are on Magenta, so once I get the text, I sure as hell will be calling in to opt out of the change.

Also pretty ****** that you need to call in. It would make things a heck of a lot easier to be able to opt out via the app or web site. But no, we have to call in and overwhelm the CS reps. SMH.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Hmm, so I just got done with CS in the App chat. They told me I can opt out when I receive email/SMS on Oct 17, and another on Oct 31. They didn't indicate I'd get an option to do that within the app. Do you have to call them directly to get that? But I guess that's moot if they're going to send me email/SMS to do the same thing.
Update: They then allegedly said they added the ability to my account. I guess we'll see if that happens.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
General comment on the expressed disappointment up thread. I think I saw a commercial yesterday that said we won’t raise your rates, ever. Sure. You’re immune from inflation. Companies lie. It’s called marketing.
The very first time I saw that commercial I already called BS

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I saw this on Reddit yesterday. First, they take away the autopay discount, unless you connect a debit card/checking account. Now they’re banking on customers not taking action to change their plan. My wife and I are on Magenta, so once I get the text, I sure as hell will be calling in to opt out of the change.

Also pretty ****** that you need to call in. It would make things a heck of a lot easier to be able to opt out via the app or web site. But no, we have to call in and overwhelm the CS reps. SMH.
They do it to discriminate against phone anxiety people

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Too many plans. Why can't you just have a base plan and do add-ons for an additional charge with a larger discount for the more add-ons you choose?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Um huh? I hate talking on the phone. I just accomplished it pretty easily with text chat to CS.

This is good to know. I may take this approach too. Especially if there is a super long wait to speak to a CS rep via the phone.

EDIT: I’m not seeing the SC Migration Opt Out option via the app yet. But I’ll keep an eye out and maybe chat CS to have that enabled.

Reactions: MacDaddyPanda

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
This is good to know. I may take this approach too. Especially if there is a super long wait to speak to a CS rep via the phone.

EDIT: I’m not seeing the SC Migration Opt Out option via the app yet. But I’ll keep an eye out and maybe chat CS to have that enabled.
I had to log out and log back in to see it added.

Reactions: nburwell

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Loop hole… they aren’t raising rates, but moving you to a different plan unless you call in and tell them don’t.
That's exactly how it works! Honestly, I'm not even sure if they can legally raise your rates while keeping you on the plan you signed up for, if the fine print of your contract locked you into the original terms?

That might be why they're trying to do things this way? I recall a similar deal with AT&T where you could hang onto "grandfathered" older plans for things like data packages on iPads or iPhones LONG after they stopped offering them. But they kept trying to come up with ways to get those people to voluntarily cancel those plans and move to newer ones. (They finally had added enough new features to modern plans so it made no sense to keep your original one anymore.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.