Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I’m glad you’re comfortable and content. I hope you manage to live the rest of your life as comfortable and content. Many of us aren’t. I grew up lower-middle-class, but now I’m in poverty (no, it’s not my own fault).

Who’s looking down on you here? I responded to what seemed to be your complaints about corruption. You said you’re not complaining. Sounded like you were, but ok then.

It IS your place to be involved in your governance, at least by voting. If anyone is looking down on you, maybe it’s for commenting that the government is corrupt but not being willing to participate in the system.
I’m sorry that you are currently living in poverty. Sounds like your not blaming anyone for it. That’s good. People are responsible for themselves.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I’m sorry that you are currently living in poverty. Sounds like your not blaming anyone for it. That’s good. People are responsible for themselves.

That’s an ideology, not how things actually work for most people. It is not about work ethic, character, or force of will. There is a massive imbalance of power between employer and employee and people can’t always just walk away from toxic workplaces.

If you’ve always had that privilege, then that’s great for you. Just try to understand that it’s not the same for everyone. If you think it is, or that your success/contentment is some kind of proof that your experience is the norm, here’s something to read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
That’s an ideology, not how things actually work for most people. It is not about work ethic, character, or force of will. There is a massive imbalance of power between employer and employee and people can’t always just walk away from toxic workplaces.

If you’ve always had that privilege, then that’s great for you. Just try to understand that it’s not the same for everyone. If you think it is, or that your success/contentment is some kind of proof that your experience is the norm, here’s something to read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
While I have never been hungry. I certainly never lived a life of privilege. I have had my share of harder times. Rehab, Loss of job, marriage ending. But I cleaned up my life. Found another job and worked my way to where I am.

I’m sorry. I’ve never understood the employer employee imbalance. They pay you for your skill. I work at a large hospital. I don’t have the skills to be the one of the CEOs. They make more than 10x my salary. I understand that I am not skilled enough to do that job. Just like they don’t have the skills to do mine. If what you do requires no skill you don’t get paid much. Get a skill that will allow you to make more

The owner of the company took all the risk financially to start the company. He/she can lose everything. Employee can lose their job.

CEOs have worked hard to get where they are. Most have master’s degrees and have put in the years at lower paying jobs. Have some stepped into great jobs without the work? Sure. Some people win the lottery too.

I’m sorry I firmly believe that you get what you put in to work. Work hard, get a skill and you will do ok. Flip burgers and things are harder.

But now we are way off topic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dysamoria

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
While I have never been hungry. I certainly never lived a life of privilege. I have had my share of harder times. Rehab, Loss of job, marriage ending. But I cleaned up my life. Found another job and worked my way to where I am.

I’m sorry. I’ve never understood the employer employee imbalance. They pay you for your skill. I work at a large hospital. I don’t have the skills to be the one of the CEOs. They make more than 10x my salary. I understand that I am not skilled enough to do that job. Just like they don’t have the skills to do mine. If what you do requires no skill you don’t get paid much. Get a skill that will allow you to make more

The owner of the company took all the risk financially to start the company. He/she can lose everything. Employee can lose their job.

CEOs have worked hard to get where they are. Most have master’s degrees and have put in the years at lower paying jobs. Have some stepped into great jobs without the work? Sure. Some people win the lottery too.

I’m sorry I firmly believe that you get what you put in to work. Work hard, get a skill and you will do ok. Flip burgers and things are harder.

But now we are way off topic.

You’re right that we are way off topic. I’ll just leave it at “you’ve been acculturated to a myth” and leave it at that. [shrug]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.