Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
If given the choice, I bet most of those employees wouldn’t even work
So: Workers who want basic rights = Lazy good for nothings

If you don’t like the company and how their pay is structured, start your own business.
This must be your first week here on Earth, welcome, but that is not even close to an option for almost all workers.

bLackjackj

Suspended
Nov 14, 2016
Why is this such a big deal in the US? Why is Apple so scared?

In Australia, you can work at an Apple Store AND be in a retail union. It offers job and wage protection. Why doesnt Apple not mind that their employees in Australia can join a union? It's clearly mandated that employees can join and employees must be offered information on unions at employment. The clear and simple choice is then up to the employee.

Stop pressuring your employees Apple!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Are you sure it’s not a caste system? You sure people aren’t coming here because of other reasons?
As an immigrant myself and watching my father work his ass off to put 3 kids through college, yes, I’m sure. It’s funny how immigrants love this country more than Americans. The fact that you would even question it shows just how real leftist indoctrination in college is. You’re on MacRumors, for crying out loud… a site that wouldn’t even exist if it weren’t for an orphan who grew up with modest means and no college education, yet built the most successful company in America.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Having worked a career at HP, non-union, which treated everyone with dignity, I had the opportunity to work with union companies. My experience is that unions may have had their place but most of what I saw was mediocracy. Protected dead wood employees, like govt workers, all hiding behind the unions. You want a crappy business? go union. Just my opinion after being in the field for almost 50 years. You want to see a low GSF (Give a S... Factor) in your workforce? go union.
I have witnessed the same.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
As an immigrant myself and watching my father work his ass off to put 3 kids through college, yes, I’m sure. It’s funny how immigrants love this country more than Americans. The fact that you would even question it shows just how real leftist indoctrination in college is. You’re on MacRumors, for crying out loud… a site that wouldn’t even exist if it weren’t for an orphan who grew up with modest means and no college education, yet built the most successful company in America.
Funny how I can agree with everything you say except the indoctrination bit. I think it's more because most people don't actually know an immigrant, don't understand the immigrant experience, and most importantly don't understand the diversity of the immigrant experience. Ignorance (distinct from stupidity) is just an open door for political manipulation.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
The "Why don't you just all be like Steve Jobs?" excuse

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
So: Workers who want basic rights = Lazy good for nothings

This must be your first week here on Earth, welcome, but that is not even close to an option for almost all workers.
I didn’t know a pension was a basic human right. The right to life, liberty & happiness is a basic human right, not 4 weeks PTO.

You really think you know what all workers need? Even those part-timers who are there for a few years who’d be negatively impacted by unions? Or the full-timers who’d rather keep all their money and seek work elsewhere than to give up a portion of their wages? Why do you think attempts to unionize fail at so many places? Because most employees reject it once they learn more about it.

Let’s say we think with our hearts and less with our brains and give everyone at least $30/hr, 4 weeks PTO, and a pension. What do you think that will do to the economy? How will that affect these employees when they have to spend $80 for a pizza pie and $1,000/week on groceries? Let the free market do its thing. It’s smarter than you, me, and definitely the gov’t, as Bidenflation has shown.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Let’s say we think with our hearts and less with our brains and give everyone at least $30/hr, 4 weeks PTO, and a pension. What do you think that will do to the economy? How will that affect these employees when they have to spend $80 for a pizza pie and $1,000/week on groceries? Let the free market do its thing. It’s smarter than you, me, and definitely the gov’t, as Bidenflation has shown.
Amazing how most other western countries manage to have a much more equitable distribution of wealth and income and far lengthier mandated time off policies and yet they don't have to pay $80 for a pizza or $1000/week for groceries. It's almost as if your entire argument here is bull ****.

bLackjackj

Suspended
Nov 14, 2016
et’s say we think with our hearts and less with our brains and give everyone at least $30/hr, 4 weeks PTO, and a pension. What do you think that will do to the economy?
Nothing! We have a number of unions in Australia and it afford ls employees their rights as workers. It has done NOTHING to affect the economy! In Australia, employers work together with the Unions on wage policy & wage growth.

Stop being so scared and just look at the Australian example of how it works and keeps employers in line!

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
I didn’t know a pension was a basic human right. The right to life, liberty & happiness is a basic human right, not 4 weeks PTO.

You really think you know what all workers need? Even those part-timers who are there for a few years who’d be negatively impacted by unions? Or the full-timers who’d rather keep all their money and seek work elsewhere than to give up a portion of their wages? Why do you think attempts to unionize fail at so many places? Because most employees reject it once they learn more about it.

These false talking points are pure scare tactics to dissuade workers from unionizing.

He even tries to give our President a unflattering nickname. I wonder where that extremely novel and unique idea came from?

Oh, and human rights are not the same as workers rights. But you know that already ;)

Reactions: hop

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Apple is adapting... I applaud them.

No company gets everything perfect from day 1. They have acknowledged the issue and are making adjustments

Bravo, keep evolving

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I'd rather leave and find a better company to work for than pay up to 5% of my earnings to a political organization that may or may not push an agenda I agree with.
5%? The union dues of Starbucks employees that I’ve seen posted is $11 a week. Unless someone’s making $220 dollars a week, it’s not likely to be 5% of their pay.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Apple is adapting... I applaud them.

No company gets everything perfect from day 1. They have acknowledged the issue and are making adjustments

Bravo, keep evolving
I wonder if this group they brought on to “fight the union” is really just saying, “Why weren’t you doing this anyway? We wouldn’t even BE here if you’d just take these common sense steps.” :) The VP in charge didn’t have ‘cover’ for altering the retail operations in this way prior to this action.

Reactions: Breaking Good

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Most unions separate the political messaging from the members dues. All funding for the political side of things are purely by member DONATIONS.

For those disagreeing with me or laughing, post proof to counter.

The unions in my industry fund the political messaging/PAC from donations. My dues does not go to the political fund.

I am not disputing that unions lobby, put out political messages, etc. But unless I actually donate to it, my money does not go to funding that message.

It's cheap stuff to simply disagree and not counter my statement.

Reactions: hop

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Please also improve conditions for customers. Improve staff competence, knowledge, attitude and politeness.

I think it depends on the location/community.. When I was in Colorado, visiting the Apple stores was a pleasure ( no attitude, mostly competent staff.. et al ) .. Now, in DFW Texas ?.. it's total crap shoot ( which basically resembles the general attitude of people in the community, to be honest.. )

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm sorry, but here's some whine...

I'm sickened by how greedy employees can be, especially when they expect to get paid (directly or indirectly) without actually earning it through hard work.

Try being a business owner and not even getting paid to work hard, really hard. Then you'd appreciate what you actually have right now in terms of fair treatment and benefits.
No one is forcing you to run a business. If you can’t make a profit while compensating your employees fairly then maybe go get one of those union jobs you think is so cushy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.