Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Caption under the photo read: "Apple CEO Tim Cook and IBM CEO Virginia Rometty" But Tim Cook was standing on the right and Virginia Rometty was on the left. Are we that Applecentric that the Apple CEO must be mentioned first. I know its a small point, but some things just irk me.....:p

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You would be wasting your money!

He might be amused that Apple is finally trying to fix it cloud services, and wondering why its taken them so long.

Apple is not entering Enterprise again, they left that sector long long ago.

Did you read the article?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Caption under the photo read: "Apple CEO Tim Cook and IBM CEO Virginia Rometty" But Tim Cook was standing on the right and Virginia Rometty was on the left. Are we that Applecentric that the Apple CEO must be mentioned first. I know its a small point, but some things just irk me.....:p

This is an Apple-centric board so that aspect should be expected. But it is a journalistic error. However, I suspect the MR aggregators are not Journalism or Com majors. Even still, agreed, common sense should guide them to go left to right, but common sense isn't so common. Don't let the small things get you down.

---

Some of the negative IBM comments here are astounding and ignorant. Apple has wanted to get into Enterprise for some time, and has, in fact, made inroads, thanks to the iPhone AND MS's bungling of Windows 8. But Apple doesn't really have the native skills to get deep into enterprise, and it would take a lot of time and money to develop such a department.

Using IBM as it's salesforce is quite brilliant. What is key here is that IBM will develop apps for clients, not just sell hardware. So it will be selling an integrated system, which is IBM's signature, and have a real financial incentive to push iPads sales with clients.

IBM in 2014 isn't IBM in 1984 anymore than Apple in 2014 is Apple in 1984. The world has changed and these companies with it. Windows and Android hardware makers should be worried about this partnership. It's one of the smartest move's Tim Cook has made, and I'm hardly a TC fan.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
seems like a great idea and what makes it great is that apple realizes they arent best at everything and partnering with a leader. sadly that isnt always the case

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
For those wondering if IBM is still relevant, they're #23 on the Fortune 500 (with annual sales of ~$100B) which is higher than Microsoft or Google, and their market cap is $190B. It's amazing to me how many people think relevance in tech is selling shiny gadgets.

ding ding ding.

In the alternative, people tend to think companies that like to show off half-baked prototypes as innovative :rolleyes:

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
"..kindred spirits.." HAAAAAAAA LMAO! This move seems so un-apple to me. Steve Jobs was a control freek and Apple has the money to go it alone. WTH would they partner, not to mention with IBM????

Under Jobs, Apple made a partnership with hp to sell an hp-branded iPod. It could have led to more but ultimately Carly Fiorina was her own undoing and the partnership went south.

But point is, who knows what Jobs would be doing today? Hp is about as stodgy and old-school as they come and he still had a working relationship with them.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
For IBM, the enemy is Oracle, not Apple

For those wondering if IBM is still relevant, they're #23 on the Fortune 500 (with annual sales of ~$100B) which is higher than Microsoft or Google, and their market cap is $190B. It's amazing to me how many people think relevance in tech is selling shiny gadgets.

Thank you. People look at the store next door and think only the brands they see are the ones that matter.

When IBM sold their hardware to Lenovo almost a decade ago, it was bittersweet since IBM invented the modern PC; and was the rival 'Remember the IBM Compatible' labels from the 80s and 90s?'. But it was a strategic move, IBM focused on their own enterprise applications and consulting.

IBM's real rival now is not Apple, it's Oracle. Big Blue vs Big Red. Those two but heads in almost every sector out there.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
This is an Apple-centric board so that aspect should be expected. But it is a journalistic error. However, I suspect the MR aggregators are not Journalism or Com majors. Even still, agreed, common sense should guide them to go left to right, but common sense isn't so common. Don't let the small things get you down.

---

Some of the negative IBM comments here are astounding and ignorant. Apple has wanted to get into Enterprise for some time, and has, in fact, made inroads, thanks to the iPhone AND MS's bungling of Windows 8. But Apple doesn't really have the native skills to get deep into enterprise, and it would take a lot of time and money to develop such a department.

Using IBM as it's salesforce is quite brilliant. What is key here is that IBM will develop apps for clients, not just sell hardware. So it will be selling an integrated system, which is IBM's signature, and have a real financial incentive to push iPads sales with clients.

IBM in 2014 isn't IBM in 1984 anymore than Apple in 2014 is Apple in 1984. The world has changed and these companies with it. Windows and Android hardware makers should be worried about this partnership. It's one of the smartest move's Tim Cook has made, and I'm hardly a TC fan.

Well stated ChupaChupa, you saved me the time and keystrokes in trying to convey to the IBM bashers what they are missing. This is business folks, and IBM has reinvented themselves as a people company.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
dear Tim,

If you're not going to tuck your dress shirt, then don't wear dress pants and dress shoes. It ends up looking insincere.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
That makes a lot of sense. Kudos to both companies for getting together.

I think it spells more trouble for Microsoft than people realize.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
In enterprise, IBM is still very relevant.

I wonder if Apple can leverage some of IBM's great technology, like Watson for example, to improve their services.

It's pretty ironic though that at the beginning, IBM was the "enemy."

Watson couldn't handle what Siri does... It's like a little kid that repeats everything it hears. They had to purge Watson of "Urban Dictionary" because Watson wasn't grown up enough to handle it. Siri is way more socially aware.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Thank you. People look at the store next door and think only the brands they see are the ones that matter.

When IBM sold their hardware to Lenovo almost a decade ago, it was bittersweet since IBM invented the modern PC; and was the rival 'Remember the IBM Compatible' labels from the 80s and 90s?'. But it was a strategic move, IBM focused on their own enterprise applications and consulting.

IBM's real rival now is not Apple, it's Oracle. Big Blue vs Big Red. Those two but heads in almost every sector out there.

Wonder what Larry Ellison thinks of this considering he and Jobs were best buds. I'm sure Cook & Co were none too happy when Ellison suggested Apple is doomed without Steve.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
dear Tim,

If you're not going to tuck your dress shirt, then don't wear dress pants and dress shoes. It ends up looking insincere.

He's working on the new vibe. He had to be the "suit and tie guy" for Steve for do long... He probably has anxiety from NOT wearing the tie still.

He's taking baby steps... Hopefully the company will survive the Crocs and socks phase.

Last edited:

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
dear Tim,

I don't know that shirt looks like it sits a bit too high to be a tuck inn-able shirt.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
not really a "team" up

Considering IBM has virtually no presence in Mobile. When I search for IBM and Mobile, all I get is news about this Apple + IBM partnership.

This might be more a partnership for Apple to partner with IBM for use of their Waston platform to, perhaps, power Siri in the future as Watson understands "context', and Siri does not. It will give meaning to the billions IBM spent on a Jeopardy contestant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.