Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I don't really get how this will benefit Apple in any meaningful way just yet. IBM has enterprise. What does that mean in terms of Apple's business model of selling hardware for money.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Wonder what Larry Ellison thinks of this considering he and Jobs were best buds. I'm sure Cook & Co were none too happy when Ellison suggested Apple is doomed without Steve.

I hope this will be the wakeup call he deseprately needs. I work on two Oracle products and I have to tell you, Oracle is all over the place. They are buying competing companies without an overall strategy of integration (the products I consult in were much better before they got bought them).

Oracle is facing stiff competition from multiple vendors in all directions, they are too big, they need to get their act together.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
This move will probably further expose iWork for the half-assed leftovers it is.

----------

Cmon Tim? The change from Flight Manuals to Ipads are saving the airlines money on fuel. Give me a break. Worked in the airline industry and they weigh less than 2 pounds.

A more substantive way to save fuel would be to make everyone take a dump before boarding.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
:confused: IBM doesn't make laptops.

Yeah, I was thinking of the ThinkPad, but my info was outdated by 9 years: "The series was originally designed, developed, and sold by IBM until Lenovo acquired the brand in 2005 after purchasing IBM's personal computer business." - Wikipedia

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I don't really get how this will benefit Apple in any meaningful way just yet. IBM has enterprise. What does that mean in terms of Apple's business model of selling hardware for money.

This is huge actually, unlike you and me who might buy one or two iPads, corporates place orders for 200 - 2,000 iPads in one shot. So far Apple has been the 'personal device' that many sales reps use, they haven't been taken very seriously by enterprise yet.

Pharma, finance, consumer goods, retail, the list of industies is endless. Remember, Blackberry had a whole business based on corporate world

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

Аpple sales of hardware to enterprises are limited because currently if a user brings his own iPad, its managed by end users themselves, of "bring your own device type" deployment. However, once IBM takes care of enterprise (corporate) deployment of iOS devices, supports them, puts their software on iOS and takes care of company-wide installations, Apple sales of hardware should increase dramatically, as companies would buy, not users themselves. Or users who had to bring other hardware, may now bring their own iOS devices, because the support will be provided by IBM now. On the other hand, iOS users will use a huge number of IBM software on their devices, so IBM will get more sales to companies which have more iOS devices.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
i've never heard tim cook talk in such a confident, fluent, open, free and honestly enthusiastic way.

Cook seemed to be comfortable when he testified before the Homeland Security Committee. He was discussing tax law. Cook was in his wheelhouse and it was obvious.

By the end of the hearing Senators were eating out of Cooks hand. It was good to see him speaking with such ease. We see him at keynotes. Doesn't seem to be his comfort zone.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I couldn't disagree more strongly with this comment.

The customers of IBM that I know of are not happy.

The general theme is that once the contract is won, they deliver the absolute least they think they can get away with... e.g., the good people you were working with disappear and are replaced with low-skilled labor.

smchan

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
IBM makes a tablet?

IBM offered a tablet long before the iPad was available; it just wasn't available as a general consumer device. It had a touch screen keyboard and a PC Card slot for storage.

The attached clip is from an article on cool inventions from a 2003 or 2004 issue of National Geographic Kids Magazine.

Attachments

• 7-16-2014 1-27-00 PM.jpg
    7-16-2014 1-27-00 PM.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 48

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The customers of IBM that I know of are not happy.

The general theme is that once the contract is won, they deliver the absolute least they think they can get away with... e.g., the good people you were working with disappear and are replaced with low-skilled labor.

I've been an IBM customer for over 15 years, I'm happy.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Bang on.

The change to OSX is more a biggie, at least for larger corporations, but I can see it happening when Apple/IBM do it together. IBM tell Apple whats needed in Enterprise OSX, Apple adds it. OSX and IBM's services combine to give the solution

I dont think the so called premium on Macs is an issue. Percieving higher quality, businesses can justify that by stretching the hardware upgrade path by 50%, maybe 100%.

Both companies definitely will benefit each other. IBM's business prowess combined with Apple's innovative way of "thinking different" will be a win in the enterprise. Also, it is interesting in that IBM has, for the most part, exited the hardware business. I think they still make mainframes, but they sold off their PC and server businesses. Apple is very much a hardware company, and it may be that they can help to fill in the gaps with some new enterprise-grade hardware.

One thing in particular that I am thinking about is OS X Server, and how that fits into the picture. Apple has created (and is continuing to develop) its own first-party mobile device management solution with OS X Server. Apple has agreed to use IBM's MDM solution for this partnership, and I don't know where this leaves OS X Server. Server is a powerful solution, and is getting better with every revision, and it would also benefit enterprises, but they may not be able to push it has hard due to the requirements of this partnership...

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
How?

I'm curious as to how they are still relevant and how they can assist Apple in future product growth...I read the story yesterday on another site while investigating intel delays that may cost Apple hundreds of millions.

In enterprise, IBM is still very relevant.

I wonder if Apple can leverage some of IBM's great technology, like Watson for example, to improve their services.

It's pretty ironic though that at the beginning, IBM was the "enemy."

----------

How things have changed!

They're going to want this deleted from the internet...

I wonder if Steve would have made the same move as Tim?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
IBM offered a tablet long before the iPad was available; it just wasn't available as a general consumer device. It had a touch screen keyboard and a PC Card slot for storage.

The attached clip is from an article on cool inventions from a 2003 or 2004 issue of National Geographic Kids Magazine.

That's completely irrelevant. Read the post in context of the thread, the previous post suggested that IBM had a current competing product that run Android and Windows.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Intel suddenly not experiencing delays!

Kinda cool considering Apple and IBM used to be in bed together with the development, design, etc on the PowerPC G5

Do you think they will re-kindle their approach on rivaling Intel with their own chips? I think so.

I now predict Intel in revising their 2015 Broadwel delay back to Holiday sales time based upon this merger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.