Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Tim is a sad and confused man. He loves to lecture America on what “good values” are yet turns a blind eye to Chinese oppression of Hong Kong and muslims.
Tim Cook isn't a confused man, he knows exactly what he is doing. Improving the company's image with a false sense of morality is all well and good, but only as long as that Chinese money continues to flow in.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Because you miss the headphone jack? Please.

I miss key boards that don't break.

But more, I miss Steve Jobs as Apple back then was exciting. Tim is like a dead fish on stage. He is so uncomfortable on stage it makes me uncomfortable to watch him. Also I don't think Tim cares too hoots about Macs as he has made them a low priority (unless we are talking dongles.. he loves his dongles).

I think Tim can take his 10k watches, macbook (12inch was a disaster), his Iphone humpback battery case, his touch bar, that stupid speaker with no functionality, and all his dongles and join Steve Balmer at the loser table.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Maybe Mr. Cook would care to relate his own coming out experience to that of many teens now... who because of devices like the iPhone and applications like Grindr have their first gay “experience” being that of going to a 30-40 plus year old’s home for casual sex.

The only thing more ludicrous about the above statement is the fact it is true.

What a load of crap. Any data to back that up or baseless speculation? And are you also whining about Tinder? Or is it only those "promiscuous gays" that are the problem?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think Jeff Williams is being groomed to take over as CEO. Cook might stay around as Chairman or something and maybe Lisa Jackson continues to report to him.

I’ve been saying it for years, I’d say the _only_ real strong candidate to take over for Cook is Jeff Williams. They need an internal candidate like Williams to bring his intelligence, passion for health, understanding of the the company morals and infrastructure, and overall, he is formidable and seems like he would be a great leader based off his stage appearances and interviews.

Reactions: TMax

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Maybe they know he's awful and just have no one to replace him?
Nope. As much as you may have difficulty wrapping your mind around it, they just disagree with you. And, despite your treatise, so do I.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I’m perhaps not a fan of his recent pandering to China and the kind of ‘pick and choose’ morlaity, this doesn’t detract from the fact his coming out helped a lot of people - myself included. Seeing that things could get better in that you could have a career and be respected was massive. When he came out I was an 18 year old who felt I was doomed to a life of pretending to be straight, that I’d never be able to come out and that if I did it would be the end of life as I know it. Having a postive role model helped me a lot to get to the point of far greater self acceptance at 23, and being on the journey of coming out.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
(And no. It’s not about being Gay or what ever. It’s the fact the app peddles in pushing sex over anything else. And sadly to a community of people who have already been beleaguered with lifestyle consequences.)

What ’Lifestyle choices‘ are you referring to here? Oh straight people never have extra martial sex or sex at young ages or anything like that do they?

Being gay isn’t a lifestyle choice. Gay men turn to apps like Grindr because they aren’t out yet and it is too difficult to date when not out, let alone the difficulty of finding someone to date if they are out.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Out of curiosity what's the demographics where he lives?

If the answer is what we all know it to be (95% white), then why does he choose to live there? Wouldn't a more diverse neighborhood be a strength?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
WHo exactly cares about his sexual orientation?
What I do care, as a long time Apple users, is about his lack of a vision.
He is a perfect bean counter. The right man in the management, but definitely the wrong CEO.
He was the right choice in the chaos following Jobs’ death, but it’s time to have a more inspired CEO in command.
Tim Cook’s price policy is idiotic, especially outside US. Let us speak about 128 Gb MacBook and 64 Gb iphone 11 Pro...

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
He loves to lecture America on what “good values” are yet turns a blind eye to Chinese oppression of Hong Kong and muslims.

It's all PR.

He came out as gay in Silicon Valley, one of the most liberal and progressive places in the country, how courageous of him. He damn well knew that reactions would be positive.

Then Apple started making their spots more diverse. You know what I mean if you've seen any of the latest keynotes, majority of the people in Apple's spots are people of color.

Those are cheap and easy ways to speak to the identity politics crowd without actually doing anything of substance.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was thinking when I came here to find yet another of these “Tim Cook visits the Zoo!“ headlines.

Tim is spending more and more time and energy being in the spotlight than putting a spotlight on the products his company creates.

And while I haven’t read the interview (I seriously cannot be bothered to waste any effort on that) I’d love to get his perspective on how righteous Apple is regarding taking down an application that helps protesters remain safe in Hong Kong while literally sucking up to applications and their creators like the gay social networking (if you can call it that) app Grindr.

I guarantee you more illegal acts have been committed on and because of that app than anything ever conceived of on the app taken down due to politics and money.

(And no. It’s not about being Gay or what ever. It’s the fact the app peddles in pushing sex over anything else. And sadly to a community of people who have already been beleaguered with lifestyle consequences.)

Maybe Mr. Cook would care to relate his own coming out experience to that of many teens now... who because of devices like the iPhone and applications like Grindr have their first gay “experience” being that of going to a 30-40 plus year old’s home for casual sex.

The only thing more ludicrous about the above statement is the fact it is true.

Mr. Cook, just resign and let someone else do the job. You’re just not up to the task.
This post seems like more of a screed against Grindr than anything else.

I can assure you that my first gay "experience" was far more sordid than the one you've imagined. This was a long time ago, before Grindr, before iPhone, before the Internet, before the Mac, and before the Commodore 64. It involved a perfect stranger and took place inside an iconic landmark that 20-90 million people saw on their televisions each week in the opening credits of a hit TV show.

I've never used Grindr, and it doesn't appeal to me. Partly because I came of age making eye contact with attractive strangers across crowded, smoky (and later smoke-free) bars. But mostly because I've been off the market for longer than Grinder has been around.

If Grindr didn't exist, then something would take its place. It was (so I heard) a major use that people had for Craig's List. Before that, there were AOL chat rooms. Baths, bars, gas station rest rooms, sand dunes, etc. You're not going to stop gay teens from having that first "experience". But, just maybe, with high profile role models such as Cook and positive images for gay people in popular culture, more gay teens can be out at a younger age, and they can loose their innocence the way their heterosexual cohorts do: with their date on Prom Night.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Tim Cooked will go down as the worst CEO in Apple History, causing even more damage than John Sculley.
Sculley had everyone bamboozled for 10 years. Cooked did more damage in less time.
as a shareholder I couldn’t disagree more.
Limousine liberals: all about helping the right kind of minorities against the right kind of oppression.
As opposed to conservatives who only help limousine owners and only acknowledge oppression if it’s invented and against themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.