Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
You’re apparently unfamiliar with People magazine. It's not a technology publication. It covers subjects like celebrity, pop culture and entertainment. He’s Apple’s #1 spokesperson, and he should speak. Apple products are hugely popular and a part of our culture throughout the world.

Any coverage of Cook is coverage of Apple. The more the better!
I know People magazine. My sentiment was about something different. I’m not a fan of Tim Cook’s political agenda which he’s not afraid to betray when it’s needed. He’s a hypocrite and opportunist. How many times this year did he talk about what Apple’s doing in tech? Not many, right?

Reactions: Huck

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I’ve been bullied heavily in workplaces before, and one of if not the worst was by a gay woman. Her sexuality had nothing to do with it. My point is: Tim Cook being gay doesn’t make him any less or more of a human. We know and we (or most of us) don’t care. I personally dislike like him for many reasons but none of them has to do with sexuality.

The point is that society hasn't yet moved to a point where sexuality doesn't matter.

For young LGBTQ people, it is fantastic to see that things can get better and it is possible for a gay person to have a successful life. 5 years ago when Tim Cook first spoke out about this publicly, it helped me a lot personally.

That being said, his pandering to china is the exact opposite to his beliefs which is a shame.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
To all the discount Ben Shapiros in the comments here it isn't that Tim is "virtue signalling" or being an "SJW", him talking about gay issues as a very influential gay guy is good enough in itself.

But he's being weirdly blind about Apple's caving to the oppressive Chinese government which in terms of his message about positive social justice is just mad hypocrisy.

It's not that he's too big into social justice, he isn't into it nearly enough!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You don’t think the COO of a tech company needs to know about technology?

The fact that Steve Jobs made Tim Cook his successor implied that even Steve Jobs himself didn’t think it was necessary that the CEO of Apple be a product person.

I will also say that depending on the way the company is structured, it may not need to be his biggest forte.

Up to the point when Jony Ive left Apple, it would appear that the way things were organised is that Jony Ive basically took over Steve Job’s role as product visionary (which is why I am fine with Tim Cook being hands off when it comes to product design, because I knew there was someone else overseeing this area).

Meanwhile, Tim Cook’s greatest contribution is allowing Apple to actually have sufficient quantities of products to sell. Because the best-designed product in the world is moot if you can’t manufacture enough of them to sell.

Given the scale at which Apple operates today, the importance of securing Apple’s supply chain cannot be understated.

Also, I think it’s also worth noting that it’s Steve Jobs who ran Apple in an atypical manner. If anything, Steve Jobs was able to do what he did precisely he outsourced his traditional CEO duties to Tim Cook. So the irony here isn’t that Tim Cook is not doing his work, but that we are basically celebrating Steve Job not doing his, while blaming Tim Cook for discharging his CEO duties perfectly.

I will also go so far as to asset that the next person taking over as CEO of Apple should also have an operations background, like Jeff Williams.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I know People magazine. My sentiment was about something different. I’m not a fan of Tim Cook’s political agenda which he’s not afraid to betray when it’s needed. He’s a hypocrite and opportunist. How many times this year did he talk about what Apple’s doing in tech? Not many, right?
Are you know the publication? Because what you said was “So many words and not one sentence about products or technology.”

That complaint makes no sense considering it’s a pop culture publication.Why would you expect him to talk about products or technology?

I give Apple/Cook a 9/10 for doing what’s right—what some like to denigrate as “virtue signaling” or “SJW”.

Falling short occasionally doesn’t mean they don’t usually do the right thing. 10 failures out of 100 tries is a lot better than the typical 100% failure rate of those who do nothing but criticize while others do the work of making the world a better place.

Reactions: tookitogo

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
To all the discount Ben Shapiros in the comments here it isn't that Tim is "virtue signalling" or being an "SJW", him talking about gay issues as a very influential gay guy is good enough in itself.

But he's being weirdly blind about Apple's caving to the oppressive Chinese government which in terms of his message about positive social justice is just mad hypocrisy.

It's not that he's too big into social justice, he isn't into it nearly enough!
Though I agree - he’s beholden to shareholders too, and it’s not like he CAN risk losing China’s favour. We have no idea what little things Apple have said or done on this front behind the scenes - any large, visible stance would get them in trouble.

global capitalism, yaaaay.

Saying that, campaigning for betterment of a place where you can make positive change is still good and worthwhile even if you can’t do the same in other places. The whole “hypocrisy” gotchas some people use to dismiss any attempt at positive change is frustrating.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
If I'm Reading the Tea Leaves correctly, it sounds like he is planing to Exit Apple (soon).

I hope so, but not for us, for him. He's contributed a lot and sacrificed a lot by the sounds of it. Okay he's got the rewards but sometimes you have to say enough is enough and walk away.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple Watch is underdeveloped. No continuous heart monitoring, took 5 versions before AOD was introduced, terrible battery life, ECG is unavailable in most countries.
my series 5 doesn’t have bad battery life. It’s on par with what my series 4 had. And I wear it every night for sleep tracking.

The fact that Steve Jobs made Tim Cook his successor implied that even Steve Jobs himself didn’t think it was necessary that the CEO of Apple be a product person.

I will also say that depending on the way the company is structured, it may not need to be his biggest forte.

Up to the point when Jony Ive left Apple, it would appear that the way things were organised is that Jony Ive basically took over Steve Job’s role as product visionary (which is why I am fine with Tim Cook being hands off when it comes to product design, because I knew there was someone else overseeing this area).

Meanwhile, Tim Cook’s greatest contribution is allowing Apple to actually have sufficient quantities of products to sell. Because the best-designed product in the world is moot if you can’t manufacture enough of them to sell.

Given the scale at which Apple operates today, the importance of securing Apple’s supply chain cannot be understated.

Also, I think it’s also worth noting that it’s Steve Jobs who ran Apple in an atypical manner. If anything, Steve Jobs was able to do what he did precisely he outsourced his traditional CEO duties to Tim Cook. So the irony here isn’t that Tim Cook is not doing his work, but that we are basically celebrating Steve Job not doing his, while blaming Tim Cook for discharging his CEO duties perfectly.

I will also go so far as to asset that the next person taking over as CEO of Apple should also have an operations background, like Jeff Williams.
To be honest I don’t think that really happened. And if you read that long New Yorker profile on Ive it seemed pretty clear he was not comfortable having that role (or having people expect him to take that role). As documented in that piece, towards the end of 2014 (the year Apple Watch was announced) he got very sick with pneumonia.

I honestly don’t think there needs to be some ‘product visionary‘ at the company. Nobody is ever going to replace Steve. Brining anyone in for that type of role is just setting them up for failure and endless comparisons to Steve. Watch any keynote and when Jeff Williams comes on stage there’s huge applause from the employees in the audience. And according to Rene Ritchie he’s been spending a lot more time with the designers and its something he is interested in. Most of the reporting (if you can believe it) suggested that was not the case with Cook. I would like to see The board make Williams CEO and push Cook into some sort of Executive Chairman role. Let Cook focus on dealing with governments, privacy, the stuff Lisa Jackson is working on with the environment etc. But the rest of the company would report to Williams. I think Wall Street would be OK with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Deranger

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
We can only hope. Hopefully the Apple of 2008-2012 can come back.

i think tim is doing a fine job nonetheless.
Under his lead, they brought back Mini, Mac Pro, affordable and capable iPhone, FaceID (bleeding edge), new Apple display, an OS that breaks compatibility with previous hardware and software (Snow Leopard anyone)

I don't know what all the fuzz is really

Reactions: tookitogo

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Apple is still a pretty white-centric company.
isnt that just a reflection of all things considered?
Apple is top of the pops, and white people have it easier to come there. Doesn't make apple white-centric, but the society at large

Last edited by a moderator:

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Are you know the publication? Because what you said was “So many words and not one sentence about products or technology.”

That complaint makes no sense considering it’s a pop culture publication.Why would you expect him to talk about products or technology?

I give Apple/Cook a 9/10 for doing what’s right—what some like to denigrate as “virtue signaling” or “SJW”.

Falling short occasionally doesn’t mean they don’t usually do the right thing. 10 failures out of 100 tries is a lot better than the typical 100% failure rate of those who do nothing but criticize while others do the work of making the world a better place.
Well, Steve did talk about tech everywhere and always gave us insight on why they do what they do. I don’t see a reason why Tim should leave it out because he talks in a certain publication.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

i'm genuinely confused
[automerge]1572001288[/automerge]

isnt that just a reflection of all things considered?
Apple is top of the pops, and white people have it easier to come there. Doesn't make apple white-centric, but the society at large

I think that’s a pretty racist statement myself. Plenty of poor as **** white people who do it tough from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Reactions: Huck

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
It’s good for him to vocally support diversity on occasion, and he has done so many, many times. What more or else is left to say and does he need to keep repeating himself? Many are commenting on the timing of this and his apparent hypocrisy concerning China’s authoritarian opposition to diversity in almost every facet. Complete, total and unquestioning obedience to the Party is all that is tolerated in China. That’s not how gay rights were won let me tell you!

As a gay I couldn’t give a crap about his sexuality, and neither do the majority of readers here it seems (which is a good thing). It is as it should be: irrelevant. Yes there is still lots of discrimination, intolerance and most definitely disadvantage in queer communities (of that I’m all too aware, unfortunately) but I’d prefer he focus on actions to address those rather than empty rhetoric or what’s become known as “virtue signaling” to stoke his own ego. I think he’s he‘s doing it to try to spin Apple as this moral company, which it most certainly is not in my opinion, and to distract people from other aspects (or failings) of his role in what is a global mega-corporation.

I’ve been bullied heavily in workplaces before, and by far the worst was by a gay woman. Her sexuality had nothing to do with it. My point is: Tim Cook being gay doesn’t make him any less or more of a person. We know and we (or most of us) don’t care. I personally dislike like him for many reasons but none of them has to do with sexuality. He is and represents a global capitalist elite that is sucking up way more wealth than they deserve and are not paying their fair share. His and Apple’s behaviour are making it more difficult for a huge number of people who are going backwards.

It is refreshing to read a sane opinion on the MR forums! I would guess that this "interview" in People is a nice little puff piece meant as a deflection to pull attention away from the HK debacle.

I disliked the reality distortion field that SJ projected at time, but reading the biographies, I think that he really did believe most of what he said and had a keen interest in how technology could be used for everyone. To wit, Apple's mission statement at the time: "To make a contribution to the world by making tools for the mind that advance humankind." Think how forward-thinking that was. No need to say for which "community", the implicit statement in the view is one of equality.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I think that’s a pretty racist statement myself. Plenty of poor as **** white people who do it tough from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Racist towards who, the whites?

Yeah, absolutely, but these are not working at apple. But on average - no, and this is only speaking about economic background without taking latent racism into account.

And since capitalism is diminishing class crossing and education is getting more expensive, it's going to get worse and not better in that regard.

Also, racism towards white people :D

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
Tim Cooked will go down as the worst CEO in Apple History, causing even more damage than John Sculley.
Sculley had everyone bamboozled for 10 years. Cooked did more damage in less time.

While I'm not a Cook fan by any means, that's just a silly statement. He DID drive the stock to new heights. Down the line Apple might pay the price for how shareholder-focused Apple has become, but nobody in their right mind will compare him to Sculley, who was simply a mediocre CEO on all fronts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.