Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Really? You're saying money can't buy qualified labor and facilities? We can build jetliners in the USA but we can't assemble the components of a computer here?

If you could charge your customers $10M per computer, and only made 500 per year, and could sell the same base design for 20 years; then yes, manufacture in the USA would be no problem at all.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I have but 1 valid argument about him being a supply chain guru:

Cancelling the iPhone X va continuing it in production alongside the XS/XS Max yet at a reduced price vs spending R&D for an LCD Xr model. Three models using the same OLED panel would have reduced cost on all 3.

You are confusing "design for manufacturing" vs. "supply chain management". They are not the same thing at all. In fact, they are not even managed out of the same department in any large corporation.
[doublepost=1564579994][/doublepost]
You're conflating designing with the ability to build something. They're building the planes just fine. They just used a flawed, cost-cutting design.

The sad implication of your statement is that the USA isn't even particularly good at design. I'm surprised you went there.
[doublepost=1564580291][/doublepost]
I'd like to believe so.

Need to find it again, I had found a report that claimed that Tim Cook's stock options when they vest, has metrics pegged to it. If the stock price on the market is at a certain value on that day, he gets X amount more as bonus.

This ties him to be directly benefitted to prop up the stock price as high as possible for his own personal wealth. Since He's not actually paid directly by Apple's actual performance, and its' directly related to stock, it is a bit like a conflict of interest. His decision making is clearly going to be on maximizing the opinions of Apple stock on the open market and not necessarily towards product decisions.

Or more like those product decisions are keyed to maximization of short term value for stock market gain rather than maximizing value of the products for the consumer.

that rubs me wrong. it's avarice. and it's greasy.

Every US CEO is compensated mostly via stock value, one way or another. It's been that way since before you were born, probably. Only the precise formulas have changed. It used to be stock options; but then financial theories proved that those incentivized overly risky behavior, so now they are mainly compensated by stock bonuses.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Tim's been bending Apple over for some time, time to return the favor.

Printing money and crying about only making 30% on a machine instead of 45% at those crazy rates.

Tell me again he cares about the customer(s), give me a break.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
How did you make that leap of logic based on the type of screw used?

Oh, sorry. I just assumed you understood why they designed in a custom screw. It wasn't arbitrary. They had certain design goals regarding size, form factor, serviceability, etc. Those goals started at the top, and when worked down they resulted in a screw that was not a mass-volume standard. They could have made the use of a standard screw a design goal, but that would have required a different form factor or some other change in the top level goals. Given that they have manufactured in China, where custom screws in volume are not a problem, it was likely a default assumption that these would not be a problem in the USA either.

I have 30 years experience in high tech product management, and I sometimes forget that I understand some things implicitly of which many other people are unawares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: emmanoelle

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
And in subsequent comments he admitted it and walked it back. You really want to die on this hill?

Well, if you think he was 'walking it back', that's no doubt your prerogative and if it makes you happy, ok. As for asking me if I want to "die on this hill", while sporting the name of a gun manufacturer in your username and at the same time espousing Christianity, I'm sure the irony escapes you entirely.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
You mean...

"we would love to make the Mac pro in the United states, I just don't want to because I am full of greed and refuse to accept a slightly lower stock price"
Maybe he is, but why all the hate? Doesn't he have a duty to his Shareholders? Or can he just do what he wants?
I don't agree with everything Cook has done but you can't argue with the abundance that he had brought his shareholders.

Reactions: emmanoelle

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you could charge your customers $10M per computer, and only made 500 per year, and could sell the same base design for 20 years; then yes, manufacture in the USA would be no problem at all.

And $10M was what computers cost in the 1960s. And for that price they could be buillt in places like New York state where IBM had it's mainframe factory. And the 30 MB drives the size of washing machine were built in San Jose, California.

So there is no mystery why today's high volume computers cannot be cost effectively built in the US.

Of course, this may change if we can manufacture computers in lights-out factory where the only thing working are robotic manufacturing systems, not humans. Lego has these and it lets them still manufacture in Denmark (and in China and Mexico).

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Oh, sorry. I just assumed you understood why they designed in a custom screw. It wasn't arbitrary. They had certain design goals regarding size, form factor, serviceability, etc. Those goals started at the top, and when worked down they resulted in a screw that was not a mass-volume standard. They could have made the use of a standard screw a design goal, but that would have required a different form factor or some other change in the top level goals. Given that they have manufactured in China, where custom screws in volume are not a problem, it was likely a default assumption that these would not be a problem in the USA either.

Sorry I took the leap and assumed you understood all that. I have 30 years experience in high tech product management, and I sometimes forget that I understand some things implicitly of which many other people are unawares. Apologies.

Then perhaps new management is needed to redefine their design goals.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
I just want the MP and XDR display to have a cheaper options. $11k entry point is a no-no.

When you fight against globalization, you get more expensive products produced locally.
Personally, I would love Apple to go full tilt down this road just for a year or 2 - jack the price up of everything by 2-3000% and now we can really start separating the wheat from the chaff. The haves from the have nots.

It's through globalization and outsourcing that we get the best products at the least expensive price point. Any markup that is done - isn't based on raw materials and production costs - it's a perceived brand value. However, even with those profit margins baked in - it allows 90% of consumers to purchase a product they would otherwise not be able to if it were produced in the US.

So I say bring it. Manufacture in the USA. I wanna see iPhones that start at $3000 - I don't want to hear any complaining. Either shell out - or go somewhere else. This is America!

The only time we learn as human beings is through pain. Perceived or physical. Hurting the wallet is a good place to start. Squeeze the wallets, and you squeeze the human it belongs to into submission.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I know I have and done so in the past. When I played goalie, I could easily get made in China Reebok pads for $400. My first set was actually one of those. they were garbage. they fell apart fast and I actually got injured THROUGH THEM

I found a local manufacturer who hand builds every set of pads. custom designs. custom sizing. friendly. invited me to visit the shop. Pads cost $1500. easily lasted me 10 years (over 600 estimated games)

it was worth every penny. The guy grew his business. hired local craftsmen. expanded his product line, hired more people and now has a relatively succesful local manufacturing business that supports his community. None of that Reebok was willing to do (they were even in the process of closing the last reebok pad factory here so it could be moved to china)

Sorry for off-topic but is that company still around? What is the name?

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Apple doesn't exactly need to "cure" their "current predicament". The company is a trillion dollar company, not on the verge of bankruptcy.
Given the amount of thumbs up on my post I think it’s just you who missed the point of my statement. Apple is indeed claiming cost cutting as their reasoning for moving the production of their most expensive device overseas. This is irregardless of the amount in their bank account.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Then perhaps new management is needed to redefine their design goals.

I'm sure it does. I hope you are not talking about Tim Cook, though. In my experience, those determinations would have been made at a much lower level than CEO, or even VP of Engineering level.

Most of Apple's hardware products are not only extremely high volume, but also designed to be as light and compact as possible, as you know. That means there must be a space and weight budget. So, of course, for those products, any excess weight or space spent on a mundane screw would be better spent on some more important function, and custom screws are likely going to be part of the design. Any designers and engineering leaders who have been working within Apple for some number of years, and have worked on high-volume Apple products, are going to take that as a given. It's part of the internal engineering DNA. You see this not just in the iOS-based products, but the laptops and iMac as well.

When it came to the "donut" Mac Pro, this product had its own set of design priorities. It's pretty clear that Apple designers were driven most by thermal considerations and esthetics; Apple management made that clear in the product rollout. If the design required custom screws, I don't think anyone was going to question that, since this was probably a common thing within Apple.

It might have been better if Apple had recruited a hardware team from outside to design that product, including people who had experience designing more conventional boxes. And that might have included designers who had a broader sense of "design for manufacturability" than was prevalent in Apple.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Sorry for off-topic but is that company still around? What is the name?

The goalie pad company?

Battram https://www.battram.com/

He's doing better than ever from what I've seen. I unfortunately was forced to retire a few years ago so I'm not sure what his current lineup is like. But he's always hand built his stuff to very high quality. Never had a stich loose. my first set of his pads are still game ready, even if a bit beat up and older

Reactions: SigEp265

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
So, which one is it?

Given that the U.S. has trouble producing even a custom screw, I'm pretty sure he's leaning towards China. Tim's statement seems more like lip service in order to appease everyone.
The real question is why design something that needs “custom screws”? Wish Apple would stop being so proprietary with components and parts. Use regular screws. Use regular NVMe. Use industry standards. The trashcan - everything proprietary always - philosophy is what has been the source of problems. Using standards simplifies manufacture chain and reduces costs... and increases where things can be made.

BTW, there are many high quality commercial and consumer goods made in the US. Quite frankly, if one cares about quality and precision it is not a bad option for manufacturing. Much of the stuff that goes inside the case are already manufactured in the US.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The real question is why design something that needs “custom screws”? Wish Apple would stop being so proprietary with components and parts. Use regular screws. Use regular NVMe. Use industry standards. The trashcan - everything proprietary always - philosophy is what has been the source of problems. Using standards simplifies manufacture chain and reduces costs... and increases where things can be made.

BTW, there are many high quality commercial and consumer goods made in the US. Quite frankly, if one cares about quality and precision it is not a bad option for manufacturing.

But if they used standard off the shelf parts, we'd be able to upgrade, maintain or replace components without ever engaging or giving Apple any more money.

Proprietary parts make sense under extreme conditions when there are no standards that can be used due to some technical limitation.

A phone for example, we don't question soldered on storage, RAM, CPU etc, because we all for the most part understand the size of thed evice provides a massive technical limitation in providing modularity.

But as you scale up in size, you also scale up in flexibility. Purposely designing devices to be proprietary for no other reason other than to be proprietary is purely a monetization method that reeks of avarice.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
You are already paying the price. The Apple gadgets are sold with extremely high profit margins, and at the same time you actually invest in China's economy and development, while at the same time your own home country loses the capability and the know how and the work force to manufacture and assemble these products. Since your educational system is so broken and expensive, you have already been "importing" most of your intellectual work force (up to the higher and even C-grade management level) for decades. I'm not sure if Trump really understands what he's talking about, but at least his gut feeling is certainly right about this one: If you outsource your production, you kill your own industry, economy and future -- and build someone else's industry, economy and future instead. First Japan, now China has become "the factory of the world". First production in Japan became too expensive, now the same is happening in China already. Yes, history keeps repeating itself, because the economic mechanics are still the same. So maybe in a hundred years or so production will come back to the West, because by then we have sunken back to Third World status.

Lol, I didn’t finish reading all that utter NONSENSE, but I’ll respond to the bit I could stomach...
Anyone that thinks moving American jobs towards industrial revolution era style work, would be a movement AWAY from becoming a 3rd world country & not TOWARDS is simply so bent, I have difficulty fathoming.
Sounds like random pontificating from someone that’s never had to work for a living. Trust me, the working class isn’t clamoring for you to reopen coal mines & iron smelts, lol.
Anyways, I think pretty much most intelligent and/or even mildly aware people by now strongly believe that the next step FORWARD from service economy (1st world country), to.... well, whatever comes after that- has something to do with AI.
Opinion on what that is going to look like varies... but most experts are saying that in the next dozen years or so we should see about 40% of jobs here in America replaced by AI (nearly 100% of the menial labor ones!). So, while the smart money would want their own country to win this INCREDIBLY important race & show leadership to the rest of the world, as to what a post 1st world country/service economy looks like, one where it’s citizens are not even exposed to what I’d consider garbage dull repetitive labor jobs... you’re busy calling for the EXACT opposite?!
“Forget automation! Build old school factories & fill them with bodies!”, that’s your cry?? Brother, you are on your own.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

BTW, there are many high quality commercial and consumer goods made in the US. Quite frankly, if one cares about quality and precision it is not a bad option for manufacturing.

Yeah, that is a very good question. I think, however, the reason lies in the fact that pretty much every other product Apple designs is intended for a market where compactness and lightness are high-value differentiators. That's certainly true for the iOS products and the laptops; and we saw that design philosophy reflected in the iMacs as well, even though a lot of people feel that has gone slightly too far. In order to minimize size and weight to the greatest extent, all components, even the screws, need to be custom.

The "trashcan" was intended for a market where that kind of size/weight minimization had no value at all. But the design team for that Mac Pro was probably made up of engineers who had prior experience of Apple's mainstream products, and retained those sensibilities and values. "Corporate DNA" is a real thing.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

BTW, there are many high quality commercial and consumer goods made in the US. Quite frankly, if one cares about quality and precision it is not a bad option for manufacturing. Much of the stuff that goes inside the case are already manufactured in the US.

Given that the 2013 Mac Pro uses non-proprietary Torx screws, it's an indication of the U.S. simply lacking manufacturing capacity.

Apple may have asked for a different thread diameter, screw length, or other spec. Nothing crazy.

If you are only allowed to use off the shelf parts, you follow the same line of thinking everywhere which limits innovation.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
But if they used standard off the shelf parts, we'd be able to upgrade, maintain or replace components without ever engaging or giving Apple any more money.

Proprietary parts make sense under extreme conditions when there are no standards that can be used due to some technical limitation.

A phone for example, we don't question soldered on storage, RAM, CPU etc, because we all for the most part understand the size of thed evice provides a massive technical limitation in providing modularity.

But as you scale up in size, you also scale up in flexibility. Purposely designing devices to be proprietary for no other reason other than to be proprietary is purely a monetization method that reeks of avarice.

No doubt that Apple engineers had the wrong set of priorities when they designed the previous Mac Pro. But, I don't think it had anything to do with "avarice"; just a matter of assigning people to the job who didn't understand the priorities in this specific market segment.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Well, if you think he was 'walking it back', that's no doubt your prerogative and if it makes you happy, ok. As for asking me if I want to "die on this hill", while sporting the name of a gun manufacturer in your username and at the same time espousing Christianity, I'm sure the irony escapes you entirely.
Espousing Christianity is inconsistent with the Second Amendment?

This is news to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.