Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
It's a good step, don't get me wrong. But...

We need to make tracking opt-in. Opt-out is not sufficient.

Opt-out most probably means a backdoor to collect data, but just not serve ads based on it, or selling it or otherwise monetizing it. But they would still likely collect it and need to know who you are in order to exclude it from their processing of it.

That is not enough, there should be no data collection, period, unless someone opts-in. Opt-in must be a token or other key that they query for from your devices and if it doesn't exist, no data is gathered.

Anything less than opt-in is not privacy.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
No one at Apple cares about your privacy nor can they protect you. This is typical smoke and mirror nonsense.

The second data transmission occurs across the web all bets are off. Open wild west. Apple won't even stand up for the people they openly stabbed in the back in China as well.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
CSAM, China, Ughyrs, LGBT rights outside of countries that won't stone them to death, taking billions from Google each year.

Shall I continue?
Takes a while for the mass to wake up and recognize this, but the movement is growing.

Do not trust any company, all they want is your wallet, and they even step over your dead body to grab it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
CSAM, China, Ughyrs, LGBT rights outside of countries that won't stone them to death, taking billions from Google each year.

Shall I continue?
None of this laundry list has nothing to do with that apple supports privacy. And that it has to operate within the laws of various countries. And that it is or will be bound by legislation requiring them to detect csam. Or Tim Cook’s is justified to support social justice as he sees fit. Or taking fees from google doesn’t change the way the internet operates. Etc. ymmv on all of this.

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
It's a good step, don't get me wrong. But...

We need to make tracking opt-in. Opt-out is not sufficient.

Opt-out most probably means a backdoor to collect data, but just not serve ads based on it, or selling it or otherwise monetizing it. But they would still likely collect it and need to know who you are in order to exclude it from their processing of it.

That is not enough, there should be no data collection, period, unless someone opts-in. Opt-in must be a token or other key that they query for from your devices and if it doesn't exist, no data is gathered.

Anything less than opt-in is not privacy.
I'll go a step further and say that opt-out may be worse than the no protection we have today.

It they are still collecting but not acting on opt-out users, yet must identify you in order to not process the data, they would have a better record of who you are and tie all the data together than they have now.

The devil is in the details. Opt-out could be developed in a private way, but it's highly unlikely.

Opt-in is the only way to properly govern data collection.

rme

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Last edited:

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Apple looking at your phone's contents is the least of your worries if you use Google or log on to any companies website. They are sucking every last bit of data out of you and selling it and tracking your every move. There are no other alternatives to Apple.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jim Higgins

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
I like the fact that Apple prioritizes privacy and points this out to the federal level. Too many companies out there that just think of your online activity as a way to line their pocketbooks.
And these companies have deep enough pockets to keep convincing our hapless congressmen that Apple is evil and no one needs these protections.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
None of this laundry list has nothing to do with that apple supports privacy. And that it has to operate within the laws of various countries. And that it is or will be bound by legislation requiring them to detect csam. Or Tim Cook’s is justified to support social justice as he sees fit. Or taking fees from google doesn’t change the way the internet operates. Etc. ymmv on all of this.
Tim Cook getting on his knees to bow to his masters whenever China barks isn't a privacy issue? CSAM isn't a privacy issue?Ok.......

Please stop with that ******** smokescreen of "Operating within laws of various countries" claptrap. It's nothing more than a convenient excuse for Tim to continue his gaslighting while at the same time going "What me worry?" whenever the China issue rears its head.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
This is a Tim Cook's PR stunt.
As the second half of the mobile phone duopoly, the US gov agencies and other companies Apple allow, have access to your iPhone (and other products) data.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Isn't most of this done on-device now, and when it is done online they are completely transparent about when it's being done and how it's being used. They're not doing it secretly without full disclosure. Are they?

Well, we don’t know anymore how much third party companies hear of your private conversations:

This came out ‘after’ Apple publicly called out others for doing the exact same thing. But it’s a necessity to improve these AI assistants.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Oh how gracious of thou Tim.. Everyone sees through this, its all about trying to take out Apple's competition and nothing more so we all have to be force to pay the Apple Tax. Shut Up and open up your phone so people can install what they want on it for once and for all!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Oh how gracious of thou Tim.. Everyone sees through this, its all about trying to take out Apple's competition and nothing more so we all have to be force to pay the Apple Tax. Shut Up and open up your phone so people can install what they want on it for once and for all!
Don’t pay the apple tax. Simple. Go android instead of telling apple how to run their business.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Tim Cook getting on his knees to bow to his masters whenever China barks isn't a privacy issue?
No, it’s not your privacy issue and apple is operating within the laws in China.
CSAM isn't a privacy issue?Ok.......
Privacy is not guaranteed for illegal material. And privacy isn’t about being able to safely distribute csam. It’s about the handling of PII.
Please stop with that ******** smokescreen of "Operating within laws of various countries" claptrap. It's nothing more than a convenient excuse for Tim to continue his gaslighting while at the same time going "What me worry?" whenever the China issue rears its head.
Yes, in your opinion.

freedomlinux

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
CT, USA
So you want Apple to break the law? Then their devices won't be available to anyone in those countries. That's not a privacy or business solution.
No, I don't want Apple to operate in countries against their local laws, but I DO want them to (metaphorically) put up or shut up about privacy.

Google took the IMO ethical solution to stop operating in China in 2010 because it wouldn't follow Chinese internet "privacy" law. Apple, nope! Apple made a special China-only *cough* compromised iCloud instead

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I like the fact that Apple prioritizes privacy and points this out to the federal level. Too many companies out there that just think of your online activity as a way to line their pocketbooks.
I agree. I’d love to see it more explicitly added to the constitution in an amendment. Both digital privacy and unlawful search/seizure.

• Love
Reactions: VulchR

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
No, I don't want Apple to operate in countries against their local laws, but I DO want them to (metaphorically) put up or shut up about privacy.

Google took the IMO ethical solution to stop operating in China in 2010 because it wouldn't follow Chinese internet "privacy" law. Apple, nope! Apple made a special China-only *cough* compromised iCloud instead
Either you stay and try to make incremental change or you pack your bags and go. Neither is a wrong choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.