Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Do you realize that every country (including the U.S.) have laws on the books that violate their own citizens' privacy? And every country has a slightly different interpretation of individual and data privacy. Many countries are requiring iCloud data to be restricted within their own borders, not just China. You're asking for an ideal world that will never exist. Apple chooses to operate in as many territories as they legally can.
Does other countries outside of China have the encryption keys to the local iCloud data?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think you are the only one that is naive. Apple cares way more about $$$ than privacy. They sold the Chinese people out to gain access to their markets. If I lived in China, there is NO WAY I would use iMessage or iCloud.
In the meantime apple has to obey local laws. Because you have a gripe doesn’t mean apple shouldn’t operate in China.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
In the meantime apple has to obey local laws. Because you have a gripe doesn’t mean apple shouldn’t operate in China.
Apple privacy stance is a marketing stance. Timmy lays it on thick but it is just marketing. They are a for profit company and money is king.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple privacy stance is a marketing stance. Timmy lays it on thick but it is just marketing. They are a for profit company and money is king.
Not my view. And yes they are a public for profit company, but they have to do what they have to do. That doesn’t mean MR. Cook is as you say “laying it on thick”. But ymmv.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
And you know it’s “untested and easily defeated”, how?
It's untested because it has not been used on a population as large as Apple's customer's base. The first time they engage the system, it will literally be an experiment.

It is easily defeated because algorithms have been produced already that can defeat it by subtly changing images in a way that does not impact very much on the perception of the image. There have been many threads in MR about the technical aspects of the CSAM scanning system, but you can see a preprint (so not peer-reviewed yet apparently) at this link that shows proof of concept for evading the system. My point is that this technology sets a dangerous precedent of search without judicial review or warrant, could be used as a blueprint for invasive surveillance by authoritarian regimes, and might not even be effective. Apple should formally abandon it and move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.