Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
The irony that Apple makes billions producing the very technologies that allow people to work remotely cannot be lost on them. ;-)

These things can also be used at work.

I don't consider anything Apple has optimised for work from home. Apple just have technologies which can be used from different kinds of places, including a home.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
The market will sort this out...and by that I mean, the top tech talent will likely go where there is flexibility that rewards their talent and productive output.

Companies like AirBNB appear to have it right, at least for now (work from anywhere, no pay cut).
AirBnB has no products, just a service. Next.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
That's true. But wasn't that because most people didn't get a booster and Omicron started circulating? In all fairness, while vaccines have been widely available for about a year now, there was a lot of apprehension and I'd guess we didn't have more complete "coverage" until recent months.

I'm wondering why we don't have an Alpha/Beta/Delta/Omicron combo vaccine. I know that Moderna had a combo ABD summer 2021. Surprised that there isn't a combo available now.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Doctors, nurses, dentists, lab workers, semi-conductor workers, etc. wear masks for many hours a day. And in some countries in Asia, they are fashion statements for kids and young adults.
They also choose to be in that position. They know it comes with the job. Walking down the street doesn't require you to wear a mask. You want to, fine go for it. Don't force it on others.

Americans don't respect experts or foreigners.
No, Americans don't respect people who say, "do what we tell you because we told you and know better." And we really don't respect them when they can't give us an answer of why something needs to be done a certain way.

I'm not being a jackass here, you really need to read The Real Anthony Fauci. This guy and those he surrounds himself with, Gates, Burke, etc. are hacks, scum, and murders. This book will enlighten you to not only what Fauci and his cohorts did in the past, but gives you examples you probably weren't aware of. And it's all end noted.

Ask any gay person that survived the 80's tell you what a monster this man is. I was too young at the time to understand what was really going on, and alternate media really didn't exist, but RFK Jr. documents it all.

You mean like energy, food, water?
And what is quality of life defined by? Sealing yourself off from contact with the outside world? You do you...
That's just it. They can't. A lot of these people are terrified to go anywhere where people don't think the same as they do, or question current "experts". The mask provides confirmation to them that where ever they are, people around them think and feel the same as them. This calms them and provides some level of confirmation.

You don't need energy many people live their whole life without even having a roof let alone heat or a car. And you can get food and water. It doesn't need to be ideal or have flavor.
If the free world was in a nuclear holocaust I'd give you that. But we're in the midst of the world's greatest power struggle at the moment. I grew up as a punk rocker type. Even had my own garage band. Ironically many who have preached "fight the power" for decades have suddenly decided to bend the knee. All the bands I listened to were all about anarchy, suburban homes, Reaganomics killing me/killing you, etc. Now many of them have become part of the system. "Just do. Don't think for yourself."

Picking out a mask is a luxury. Wearing one isn't.
Correct, it's stupidity for the current situation we find ourselves in.

Reactions: jaymc and siddavis

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
No, Americans don't respect people who say, "do what we tell you because we told you and know better." And we really don't respect them when they can't give us an answer of why something needs to be done a certain way.
This sounds like hopeless clinging to the idea of free will. This might be the most, if not one of the most, damaging concepts in the bible.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Is anyone else to the point with Covid where they would rather get it and die from it rather than endure it anymore?

I've had it. Twice. Despite having all the pokes and sticks and wearing a mask all the time, etc. Was never in a job where I was permitted to work from home (first responder work). To be honest, the idea of working from home sounds more like living at the office, which I have no interest in. The idea of being home all the time sounds like torture to me.

I would hard pass on it.

Reactions: jaymc

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Is anyone else to the point with Covid where they would rather get it and die from it rather than endure it anymore?

I've had it. Twice. Despite having all the pokes and sticks and wearing a mask all the time, etc. Was never in a job where I was permitted to work from home (first responder work). To be honest, the idea of working from home sounds more like living at the office, which I have no interest in. The idea of being home all the time sounds like torture to me.

I would hard pass on it.

My old manager's manager worked from home in the mountains outside of SV for many years. He lived in a sparsely populated area so I'm sure that he had no problems going outside. There are lots of areas in my state that are sparsely populated as well and there's tremendous natural beauty. Lakes, mountains, beaches and lots of forest. Same with Vermont - not a bad place if you want to grow your own food.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

"No" -- I would not rather "get it and die" rather than endure it anymore.

Death means ... I'm dead
I'm fairly uninterested in being dead, not sure about you.

Life is sort of "over" when you are "dead".
I enjoy being alive personally

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
"No" -- I would not rather "get it and die" rather than endure it anymore.

Death means ... I'm dead
I'm fairly uninterested in being dead, not sure about you.

Life is sort of "over" when you are "dead".
I enjoy being alive personally

I had cancer several years ago and the treatment process is like torture for a year. Yet most people go through it.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
These things can also be used at work.

I don't consider anything Apple has optimised for work from home. Apple just have technologies which can be used from different kinds of places, including a home.
Including a home - exactly. Note my use of the word ‘allow’.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Why is it so hard for people to report to work on campus?

Cheaper, easier and safer to work from home.

1. Travel distances for workers has been increasing over time since the invention of the car. In 2019, the average one-way commute in the United States increased to a new high of 27.6 minutes. 10% higher than the previous decade.
2. More distance means more wear and tear on a vehicle which means you have less money in your bank account. Who wants to pay $6 for gas when you have an internet connection to log in?
3. More options of living in cheaper COL area which again means more money in your bank account.
4. Statistically higher chance getting hurt/killed in an autowreck when you are spending multiple hours per week driving.

You need to rephrase it as "why don't people want to make less money for more time while being less safe".

I know people may think I am being silly about the safety thing but I personally know people who have died on a commute to work. I'm not advocating people hide in their homes for the rest of their lives but when you can basically do the same thing with a internet connection it doesn't make sense for a worker's benefit(along with everything else I listed).

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

1. Travel distances for workers has been increasing over time since the invention of the car. In 2019, the average one-way commute in the United States increased to a new high of 27.6 minutes. 10% higher than the previous decade.
2. More distance means more wear and tear on a vehicle which means you have less money in your bank account. Who wants to pay $6 for gas when you have an internet connection to log in?
3. More options of living in cheaper COL area which again means more money in your bank account.
4. Statistically higher chance getting hurt/killed in an autowreck when you are spending multiple hours per week driving.

You need to rephrase it as "why don't people want to make less money for more time while being less safe".

I know people may think I am being silly about the safety thing but I personally know people who have died on a commute to work. I'm not advocating people hide in their homes for the rest of their lives but when you can basically do the same thing with a internet connection it doesn't make sense for a worker's benefit(along with everything else I listed).

A high-level manager at a large semi company sent me a note saying that two coworkers in adjacent offices had just come down with COVID. His wife called workplace conference rooms as biohazard spaces. She is an infectious disease nurses who did a lot of training of nurses when the pandemic started.

My friend said that he is going into the office only when required. He manages several hundred people around the world and has to deal with these kind of issues in a variety of local regulations.

• Haha
Reactions: jaymc and Razorpit

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But not necessarily better for the company.
With respect to #3 above, some companies are also adjusting wages based on cost of living. So one could end up earning less if they move to an area with a cheaper cost of living.
Statistically most accidents happen within 25 miles of home. So if your office is more than 25 miles away, and your food store is a mile away, statistically higher risk going food shopping.

I don't disagree, but the company has to decide what's best for them.
A high-level manager at a large semi company sent me a note saying that two coworkers in adjacent offices had just come down with COVID. His wife called workplace conference rooms as biohazard spaces. She is an infectious disease nurses who did a lot of training of nurses when the pandemic started.

My friend said that he is going into the office only when required. He manages several hundred people around the world and has to deal with these kind of issues in a variety of local regulations.
With the latest variants being so contagious, I try to minimize my contact with people in an office and do not go into a conference rooms. Even though the landlord has installed hepa filters on the HVAC and every office/cubicle now has a hepa unit, covid is spreading through the office. I have to be in the office, but every meeting is a zoom meeting. We do have open areas with writable walls that we can use to collaborate; so that makes some of being in the office worthwhile.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Statistically most accidents happen within 25 miles of home. So if your office is more than 25 miles away, and your food store is a mile away, statistically higher risk going food shopping.

Most accidents happen close to home because you do most of your driving locally.

The first 25 miles of your commute fall within the higher accident statistics region. So if your commute is 25.0001 miles, then your odds of an accident in the first 25 miles are greater than those of the 0.0001 bit.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
But not necessarily better for the company.

Well I didn't say it was better or worst for the company. I am responding to this post asking why employees wouldn't want to commute to campus.

With respect to #3 above, some companies are also adjusting wages based on cost of living. So one could end up earning less if they move to an area with a cheaper cost of living.

Some cases they adjust for COL and other cases they don't. Thats a very complicated topic with many scenarios. The main point is the employee has more freedom even within a metropolitan area in regards to housing as the office will not be a factor.

No thats not what that means statistically as pshufd indicated.

I don't disagree, but the company has to decide what's best for them.

Market will decide many of these narratives. Thats why Apple is using rising covid cases as a way to backtrack from their original demands without losing face as they underestimated the reaction. You can't set a narrative that the company is operating fine while everyone is remote working for 2 years and then send a email of everyone being required to be back in for x number of days per week. Employees don't buy it, will resent the company and leave for greener pastures.

Here's the issue for Apple....while they may think having employees back in is best for them the market is going towards remote work. Many companies want remote employees because they are taking advantage of this offloading office space(save $$$) and are stealing talent from employers like Apple if they can't match benefits from competitors. That puts Apple at a disadvantage and typically they would need to pay out even higher salaries to retain same talent. Heck even at my company which still has no plans on going back in the office.......employees are leaving because of how much salaries are going up. Even with remote working benefits people are leaving because of rising cost of living. Now if my company decided to pull an Apple and force people in the office then there would no doubt be a mass exodus. Because why would you stay when a competitor is offering more money and more benefits? Every single person I know who left my company in the past 6 months is doing full remote work.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well I didn't say it was better or worst for the company. I am responding to this post asking why employees wouldn't want to commute to campus.
From the point of view of both employer and employee of the minds don’t meet it’s the employee will be the loser. I’m discussing Fortune 500 not mom and pops. That was my point.

Some cases they adjust for COL and other cases they don't. Thats a very complicated topic with many scenarios. The main point is the employee has more freedom even within a metropolitan area in regards to housing as the office will not be a factor.

No thats not what that means statistically as pshufd indicated.

Market will decide many of these narratives. Thats why Apple is using rising covid cases as a way to backtrack from their original demands without losing face as they underestimated the reaction. You can't set a narrative that the company is operating fine while everyone is remote working for 2 years and then send a email of everyone being required to be back in for x number of days per week. Employees don't buy it, will resent the company and leave for greener pastures.

Here's the issue for Apple....while they may think having employees back in is best for them the market is going towards remote work. Many companies want remote employees because they are taking advantage of this offloading office space(save $$$) and are stealing talent from employers like Apple if they can't match benefits from competitors. That puts Apple at a disadvantage and typically they would need to pay out even higher salaries to retain same talent. Heck even at my company which still has no plans on going back in the office.......employees are leaving because of how much salaries are going up. Even with remote working benefits people are leaving because of rising cost of living. Now if my company decided to pull an Apple and force people in the office then there would no doubt be a mass exodus. Because why would you stay when a competitor is offering more money and more benefits? Every single person I know who left my company in the past 6 months is doing full remote work.
Companies don’t back track they adapt. The only reason you believe apple backtracked is some skewed beliefs, imo.

And your right the market will dictate. If you worked for financial powerhouses such as JP Chase or Citibank which already have some type of rto you would not see mass exoduses.

If employees leave for greener pastures and a company suffers, lesson learned for the company. But this conversation is academic unless there are some parameters around what is the companies primary function and how many employees. A startup with 5 people is in a different space than apple, google or JP Chase.

robd003

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Why would you want to force software engineers into an office filled with distractions? Every programmer I know would prefer to work in a cool quiet cave rather than a loud open plan office.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Why would you want to force software engineers into an office filled with distractions? Every programmer I know would prefer to work in a cool quiet cave rather than a loud open plan office.
I agree. So when we started our company we made sure everyone had a private or semi-private (shared with one other) office with a door. I actually got the idea from Microsoft, that used to be their standard in the 80's and 90's.

Reactions: robd003

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree. So when we started our company we made sure everyone had a private or semi-private (shared with one other) office with a door. I actually got the idea from Microsoft, that used to be their standard in the 80's and 90's.
If you’re lucky enough to start a company with a few employees you get to make your own decisions. Companies who have 5, 10, 50, 120 thousand employees have a different scale of issues to deal with.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
From the point of view of both employer and employee of the minds don’t meet it’s the employee will be the loser. I’m discussing Fortune 500 not mom and pops. That was my point.

Correct but that's a pretty general statement about every aspect of employment from salary to benefit but I'm still not sure what specifically that has to do with my comment addressing someone's specific question as to why employees do not want to commute to work.

Companies don’t back track they adapt. The only reason you believe apple backtracked is some skewed beliefs, imo.

Adapt.....backtrack. Whatever lexicon you want to describe the sudden change is irrelevant. This article calls it "walked back"

Last month, after the departure of several high-profile executives, Apple walked back its three-day-a-week return-to-the-office policy, which had been slated to go into effect in late May. The company cited the rising number of COVID-19 cases, but the real reason, it seems, was simply that employees didn’t want to.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Correct but that's a pretty general statement about every aspect of employment from salary to benefit but I'm still not sure what specifically that has to do with my comment addressing someone's specific question as to why employees do not want to commute to work.
Why an employee doesn’t want to commute is not relevant. If they have to they have to.
Adapt.....backtrack. Whatever lexicon you want to describe the sudden change is irrelevant. This article calls it "walked back"

Last month, after the departure of several high-profile executives, Apple walked back its three-day-a-week return-to-the-office policy, which had been slated to go into effect in late May. The company cited the rising number of COVID-19 cases, but the real reason, it seems, was simply that employees didn’t want to.
Yes….companies adapt. Can’t blame apple for pushing back its mandates. Covid is ripping through my place of employment. My son who works for the largest bank in the world is adapting after sending a mandate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.