Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
Hi everyone 👋 I'm saving up to get myself a full apple ecosystem at the end of 2023 (iphone,ipad,MacBook,airpods) and I wanna hear your opinion on some questions that I have :
1) how long will my products receive updates for ? ( I'm thinking about getting either the iphone SE 3rd gen 2022 since it has the newest chip or an iphone 11 , but couldn't choose from between , I want something that last but at the same time the iphone SE is small and feels outdated design wise / MacBook air M1 or m2 ? Both are 8gb and 265gb , I'm using them for coding and machine learning / ipad 9th gen 64gb / airpods 2nd gen )
Thank you in advance 🙏
P.S : I'm coming from a third world country, so we don't have access to the latest apple tech and even if we did they're so expensive so there's that , so no need to tell me to get the latest products please

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
I don't think Apple has a set support timeframe, but I've seen devices 5,6 and 7 years old still get updates. I don't think I've ever seen a phone get less than 4-5 years support. But I upgrade every year, so I can't speak from experience.
Thanks

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Apple Products receive updates for a stupidly long time. iPhones generally get five to six years worth of OS upgrades, Macs generally get eight to nine years. And even if they are no longer supported for OS upgrades they'll still get security updates.

For your question about which Mac to choose, get the M1 Macbook Air. There's not a big difference between the M1 and M2 chips for the Mac. The M2 has more cores in the GPU (if you spec for that) as well as the media engine in the pro chips, but that's it. Their CPUs are both the same, however base spec M2 is worse in terms of SSD speed as base spec only has one SSD module instead of two, so since you're going cheap the M1 would be a better fit for you. (Also should note since you're learning coding and machine learning, a Macbook Pro or Mac Mini would be better for that as the Macbook Air does not have fans, the MBP and Minis do.)

For your iPhone the SE is a good option. It's pretty much the only option in third world countries

And good call on the 9th gen iPad. Cheap iPad is best iPad. The more expensive iPads try to hard to be a laptop replacement while failing in many regards to that.

You gonna get an Apple Watch too?

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
Apple Products receive updates for a stupidly long time. iPhones generally get five to six years worth of OS upgrades, Macs generally get eight to nine years. And even if they are no longer supported for OS upgrades they'll still get security updates.

For your question about which Mac to choose, get the M1 Macbook Air. There's not a big difference between the M1 and M2 chips for the Mac. The M2 has more cores in the GPU (if you spec for that) as well as the media engine in the pro chips, but that's it. Their CPUs are both the same, however base spec M2 is worse in terms of SSD speed as base spec only has one SSD module instead of two, so since you're going cheap the M1 would be a better fit for you. (Also should note since you're learning coding and machine learning, a Macbook Pro or Mac Mini would be better for that as the Macbook Air does not have fans, the MBP and Minis do.)

For your iPhone the SE is a good option. It's pretty much the only option in third world countries

And good call on the 9th gen iPad. Cheap iPad is best iPad. The more expensive iPads try to hard to be a laptop replacement while failing in many regards to that.

You gonna get an Apple Watch too?
Not for now , I'm just starting with those I mentioned above , what about the airpods 2nd gen? , also thanks for helping me decide 🙏 even though it's still a long time until the end of the year lol

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Not for now , I'm just starting with those I mentioned above , what about the airpods 2nd gen? , also thanks for helping me decide 🙏 even though it's still a long time until the end of the year lol

The only difference between AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3 is they don't have Spatial Audio and they have longer stems, which is negligible. They both sound the same sound wise, it's not a big leap like AirPods Pro Gen 1 and 2 are.

Tbh though for your case I would skip AirPods. They're a luxury, not a necessity. Save your money for the core bits of the ecosystem, then overtime add accessories when you need them.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
The only difference between AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3 is they don't have Spatial Audio and they have longer stems, which is negligible. They both sound the same sound wise, it's not a big leap like AirPods Pro Gen 1 and 2 are.

Tbh though for your case I would skip AirPods. They're a luxury, not a necessity. Save your money for the core bits of the ecosystem, then overtime add accessories when you need them.
I'll keep that in my mind thanks 🙏

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023

Also , if I remove the airpods 2 , I can afford the apple watch SE Nike edition 40mm , do you think it's worth it ?

Reactions: Reggaenald and JM

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

SloumaGamer

I would recommend a iPhone 12, better everything
if you can find one, I did last July for a great deal!
my main and fav  product since 2010 is that good ol' MacBook Air
the M1 still is incredible!
my favorite  product non-computer is those HomePod minis!, 2 sound great
the Tv is perfect to watch anything now
iPads can do such wonders now and control ones house!
the most used  product I own is that watch
since i only use a bike to get from point a-b and swim regularly.
these  items sync perfectly and will last many years, or decades
im typing this on a MacBook Pro 2012, Mojave,
their eco system is just was 2020 needed!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Also , if I remove the airpods 2 , I can afford the apple watch SE Nike edition 40mm , do you think it's worth it ?

Depends on if you like having a lot of phone functions moved to your watch.

Grand+Unified+Theory+of+Apple+Products+%28Above+Avalon%29

The Apple Watch can be used to move texts, notifications, calls, and other functions you quickly access. It can also be used for health tracking. But utlimately it's up to you. You can skip the watch for now and the money used to get a better Mac or iPhone.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
Depends on if you like having a lot of phone functions moved to your watch.

Grand+Unified+Theory+of+Apple+Products+%28Above+Avalon%29

The Apple Watch can be used to move texts, notifications, calls, and other functions you quickly access. It can also be used for health tracking. But utlimately it's up to you. You can skip the watch for now and the money used to get a better Mac or iPhone.
I see , thanks for all your suggestions 🙏

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
The core of the ecosystem is, for example, using iCloud / appleID so that the photos you take with your iPhone appear on your MacBook; email and notes also in sync. Also, you can tether and so use your phone to connect to internet when wifi is not available.

I have no experience of the watch to share. I do use AirPods but have little use for my iPad.

Reactions: SloumaGamer

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I would delay purchase of the iPad if you don't have a compelling need for a tablet. The MacBook Air M1 is a good choice and is light enough to carry around and to use for movies etc.

earphones yes, but again delay that until you have the budget.

I second this. I barely use my iPad anymore outside of the restroom. My Macbook has pretty much taken over all it's roles since the battery life is miles better, and it's not bogged down by iPadOS. Of course it goes back to the grand unifying strategy of the ecosystem where functions are divided amongst devices.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Hi everyone 👋 I'm saving up to get myself a full apple ecosystem at the end of 2023 (iphone,ipad,MacBook,airpods) and I wanna hear your opinion on some questions that I have :
1) how long will my products receive updates for ? ( I'm thinking about getting either the iphone SE 3rd gen 2022 since it has the newest chip or an iphone 11 , but couldn't choose from between , I want something that last but at the same time the iphone SE is small and feels outdated design wise / MacBook air M1 or m2 ? Both are 8gb and 265gb , I'm using them for coding and machine learning / ipad 9th gen 64gb / airpods 2nd gen )
Thank you in advance 🙏
P.S : I'm coming from a third world country, so we don't have access to the latest apple tech and even if we did they're so expensive so there's that , so no need to tell me to get the latest products please

Hardly anyone here upgrades — or purchases up front — everything all at once.

I’d consider staggering your purchases. That way you can get newer tech over time.

I’d skip the iPad. Not critical for exploring the ecosystem.

As for the life of devices: I’m still using an iPhone 7+ from 2016. It’s still receiving security updates from Apple but does not support iOS 16. I also used a 10s Max for nearly five years until I fatally smashed the entire device. Without being too overly careful, you can get many good years from all of these devices.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
My suggestions are as follows:

11 Pro or 13 Pro. The 13 Pro is my current phone and is the best iPhone I’ve ever had. The 11 Pro is the second best. I did not like the 12.

Regarding computers I suggest you get a M1 and try to upgrade ram and / or hard drive. 8 GB just doesn’t do it anymore.

Any iPad Pro will work just fine. They are great machines.

2nd generation AirPods are supposed to be great.

Generally buy what you think you’ll need 5 years from now. I doubt an 11 or SE 3 will be good for you in 5 years but the M1 and iPad should.

Apple products are generally supported for 5-7 years and typically work for a bit longer.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
My suggestions are as follows:

11 Pro or 13 Pro. The 13 Pro is my current phone and is the best iPhone I’ve ever had. The 11 Pro is the second best. I did not like the 12.

Regarding computers I suggest you get a M1 and try to upgrade ram and / or hard drive. 8 GB just doesn’t do it anymore.

Any iPad Pro will work just fine. They are great machines.

2nd generation AirPods are supposed to be great.

Generally buy what you think you’ll need 5 years from now. I doubt an 11 or SE 3 will be good for you in 5 years but the M1 and iPad should.

Apple products are generally supported for 5-7 years and typically work for a bit longer.
Thanks for the suggestions , but again , apple products are really expensive in my country, and there's no 16gb RAM model for the M1 too , just 256gb or 512gb SSD and that's it , as for the iphone , I've decided to go with the SE 2022 since it has the touch ID and the newest chip A15 , that should last me a solid 5/6 years

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Thanks for the suggestions , but again , apple products are really expensive in my country, and there's no 16gb RAM model for the M1 too , just 256gb or 512gb SSD and that's it , as for the iphone , I've decided to go with the SE 2022 since it has the touch ID and the newest chip A15 , that should last me a solid 5/6 years
I would go with 512 SSD M1 over 256 M2.

2022 SE is a solid choice.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Regarding the Mac, I think a base M1 Air (8GB/256gb) should work and be supported for years to come — it is a great machine.

Regarding the iPhone, the 11 series was good — if you don’t want the latest, I would search for a used 11 Pro if that still fits your budget and is around the same as a 2022 SE.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you in advance 🙏
Here's my honest advice: Don't do it. Or, at least, don't go full-tilt into the ecosystem. Like, iPads are phenomenal. Get an iPad regardless of the rest of the ecosystem. But, otherwise, especially being located in a country that won't have great support options for the Apple ecosystem, just don't. It's an ecosystem that's extremely easy to join and can be extremely difficult to leave.

Mac hardware is generally amazing, but the operating system has some real quality control issues. You also don't have the option to go back to Windows as an alternate/fallback as easily as one did with Intel Macs.

The iPhones are fine, but there's nothing I can say about an iPhone over, say, a Google Pixel or a OnePlus that makes it better. However, there are a lot of products that REQUIRE you to have an iPhone. You can't switch back.

While it has seen better days, Apple's support is the best for consumer class hardware. By going all-in with Apple in a part of the world where you can't take advantage of that is risky and will likely lead to headaches as your products age.

So, again, my advice, get an iPad. It is compatible with any possible other existing ecosystem that you have in place. And while you should still get AppleCare on it, not having Apple support options locally won't hurt anywhere near as badly. But, stop there. If you really feel like you need more Apple in your life because you're sick of Android and Windows, go switching. But getting all oogley-eyed and diving in without considering the current state of things is a foolish idea.

THAT BEING SAID:

The current SE is a better buy. Don't get an iPhone 11. The design being out of date is a superficial feature that doesn't affect you having a phone that does what that phone is supposed to do. The iPhone 11 could lose support as soon as Fall of 2024 or as late as Fall 2027.

The 9th Generation iPad is only a good buy if you NEED the older iPad design for compatibility with older accessories or if you absolutely need a headphone jack. 10th Generation iPad is a better buy and certainly, a 5th Generation iPad Air, for having an M1, is even better than that. 9th Generation iPad will lose support before any of the other currently available iPads do.

If you are doing coding on a Mac, you will want more than 8GB and more than 256GB of storage. If you can only afford the base model, you will have better bang for buck with the M1. But, I'd honestly get no less than 16GB of RAM and no less than 512GB of storage. I don't know what KIND of coding and machine learning you will be doing. Certainly Macs are great for coding, though, depending on what kind of development environment you will want to be using, that ought to dictate what computer you get more than anything.

AirPods are nothing special as far as headphones go. The one thing that makes them special is how easy it is to pair and switch devices with other Apple products. If you really are just wanting to give Apple money, cool. But they're kind of not worth it otherwise.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
Here's my honest advice: Don't do it. Or, at least, don't go full-tilt into the ecosystem. Like, iPads are phenomenal. Get an iPad regardless of the rest of the ecosystem. But, otherwise, especially being located in a country that won't have great support options for the Apple ecosystem, just don't. It's an ecosystem that's extremely easy to join and can be extremely difficult to leave.

Mac hardware is generally amazing, but the operating system has some real quality control issues. You also don't have the option to go back to Windows as an alternate/fallback as easily as one did with Intel Macs.

The iPhones are fine, but there's nothing I can say about an iPhone over, say, a Google Pixel or a OnePlus that makes it better. However, there are a lot of products that REQUIRE you to have an iPhone. You can't switch back.

While it has seen better days, Apple's support is the best for consumer class hardware. By going all-in with Apple in a part of the world where you can't take advantage of that is risky and will likely lead to headaches as your products age.

So, again, my advice, get an iPad. It is compatible with any possible other existing ecosystem that you have in place. And while you should still get AppleCare on it, not having Apple support options locally won't hurt anywhere near as badly. But, stop there. If you really feel like you need more Apple in your life because you're sick of Android and Windows, go switching. But getting all oogley-eyed and diving in without considering the current state of things is a foolish idea.

THAT BEING SAID:

The current SE is a better buy. Don't get an iPhone 11. The design being out of date is a superficial feature that doesn't affect you having a phone that does what that phone is supposed to do. The iPhone 11 could lose support as soon as Fall of 2024 or as late as Fall 2027.

The 9th Generation iPad is only a good buy if you NEED the older iPad design for compatibility with older accessories or if you absolutely need a headphone jack. 10th Generation iPad is a better buy and certainly, a 5th Generation iPad Air, for having an M1, is even better than that. 9th Generation iPad will lose support before any of the other currently available iPads do.

If you are doing coding on a Mac, you will want more than 8GB and more than 256GB of storage. If you can only afford the base model, you will have better bang for buck with the M1. But, I'd honestly get no less than 16GB of RAM and no less than 512GB of storage. I don't know what KIND of coding and machine learning you will be doing. Certainly Macs are great for coding, though, depending on what kind of development environment you will want to be using, that ought to dictate what computer you get more than anything.

AirPods are nothing special as far as headphones go. The one thing that makes them special is how easy it is to pair and switch devices with other Apple products. If you really are just wanting to give Apple money, cool. But they're kind of not worth it otherwise.
So what you're saying is : I shouldn't go with apple as there are better alternatives ? For the record, I do have Samsung S21 fe and Poco X3 pro with a gaming PC , but honestly the only thing that appeals to me from apple is their longevity, I don't always have money to purchase latest tech and I'm still a college student so that's why I wanted to invest in an entire apple ecosystem to save me the hustle of purchasing new tech every 2 years lol

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Thank you in advance 🙏
No Appletv or Applewatch?

Reactions: Longplays
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.