Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptTee

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2023
Florida
Hi everyone 👋 I'm saving up to get myself a full apple ecosystem at the end of 2023 (iphone,ipad,MacBook,airpods) and I wanna hear your opinion on some questions that I have :
1) how long will my products receive updates for ? ( I'm thinking about getting either the iphone SE 3rd gen 2022 since it has the newest chip or an iphone 11 , but couldn't choose from between , I want something that last but at the same time the iphone SE is small and feels outdated design wise / MacBook air M1 or m2 ? Both are 8gb and 265gb , I'm using them for coding and machine learning / ipad 9th gen 64gb / airpods 2nd gen )
Thank you in advance 🙏
P.S : I'm coming from a third world country, so we don't have access to the latest apple tech and even if we did they're so expensive so there's that , so no need to tell me to get the latest products please
There is support and then there is support.
Apple will support a product with updates for a long time. I recently bought a new M2 Mac Mini to replace my 2012 Mac Mini as my primary computer. The 2012 Mac Mini is now being used as a media server to provide movies for my AppleTV. The 2012 Mac Mini still gets an occasional update, even though it doesn't run the current MacOS and its support status is "Obsolete".

permanoob

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2022
Are you sure you need a macbook air AND an Ipad? if you hve the macbook air, it is super portable and light and you can put it on your lap anywhere for movies and reading. if you also have the SE phone as well, you almost have a mini ipad for when you want to just hold something in your hand to watch a video or read. if you are using the apple ecosystem on your computer like notes, mail, calendar, reminders, icloud they will all sync and work great on the phone. and you will have two devices that are very portable. how will the ipad add to that? it seems redundant to me.

I could see you needing the ipad if your draw a lot or want to take hand written notes for class, or just maybe love the feel of reading or watching a movie while holding the tablet. . in that case, maybe you dont need the mac air. have the ipad as your mobile computer. it does most of what the laptop does, just less efficiently. but maybe even better than a laptop for school because you can draw on docs. instead of a macbook air, you could get an imac or a mac mini for your home base desk (if you have one) because you will probably get better speed, ram and ssd for the same price, which is better for the coding you are doing. in that set up the macbook air is redundant. the only problem i see for you in this setup is if you need to code in class, not sure how good the ipad is for coding.

if you carry the phone with you, not sure you need the watch. i have never seen a reason to have the watch for myself. maybe if you have a health issue and want to monitor some health stats? but my phone is almost always near me, what will the watch really add?

because you are on a budget, basically what I am saying is to think about all the things each device can do, because there is so much overlap, its rare you need all the devices. you can probably solve everything you need to do with laptop + phone or ipad + desktop. no?

Reactions: SloumaGamer

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
Are you sure you need a macbook air AND an Ipad? if you hve the macbook air, it is super portable and light and you can put it on your lap anywhere for movies and reading. if you also have the SE phone as well, you almost have a mini ipad for when you want to just hold something in your hand to watch a video or read. if you are using the apple ecosystem on your computer like notes, mail, calendar, reminders, icloud they will all sync and work great on the phone. and you will have two devices that are very portable. how will the ipad add to that? it seems redundant to me.

I could see you needing the ipad if your draw a lot or want to take hand written notes for class, or just maybe love the feel of reading or watching a movie while holding the tablet. . in that case, maybe you dont need the mac air. have the ipad as your mobile computer. it does most of what the laptop does, just less efficiently. but maybe even better than a laptop for school because you can draw on docs. instead of a macbook air, you could get an imac or a mac mini for your home base desk (if you have one) because you will probably get better speed, ram and ssd for the same price, which is better for the coding you are doing. in that set up the macbook air is redundant. the only problem i see for you in this setup is if you need to code in class, not sure how good the ipad is for coding.

if you carry the phone with you, not sure you need the watch. i have never seen a reason to have the watch for myself. maybe if you have a health issue and want to monitor some health stats? but my phone is almost always near me, what will the watch really add?

because you are on a budget, basically what I am saying is to think about all the things each device can do, because there is so much overlap, its rare you need all the devices. you can probably solve everything you need to do with laptop + phone or ipad + desktop. no?
That's true , hence why I asked what's the best combination between my updated post : I'll probably go for the iphone and MacBook because those two are the most important

Reactions: permanoob

permanoob

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2022
That's true , hence why I asked what's the best combination between my updated post : I'll probably go for the iphone and MacBook because those two are the most important
Well, personally I really like the ipad. I have an m1 Macbook pro 2020 and an Ipad air from 2020 with the magic keyboard and apple pencil 2. I find myself using the ipad at home all over my house, and the ipad is what I grab when I go to the coffee shop to work. my Macbook pro sits on my desk plugged into a 24 inch display, external ssd, keyboard and mouse. I basically use it as a desktop, I rarely remove it from the desk because I take the ipad everywhere. I love typeing on teh magic keyboard better than my desk keyboard or the macbook pro keyboard. And I read books on the ipad constantly, so it’s better than reading on a laptop or phone.

So if I am not sure if I would buy a laptop again. Once it is time to upgrade I might try to just do phone + ipad + desktop. I would get the multifunction (reading, drawing, typing, simple work stuff) and portability of the ipad plus the power of a desktop (audio / video recording and editing, and gaming) when I am home.

Reactions: SloumaGamer

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Well, personally I really like the ipad. I have an m1 Macbook pro 2020 and an Ipad air from 2020 with the magic keyboard and apple pencil 2. I find myself using the ipad at home all over my house, and the ipad is what I grab when I go to the coffee shop to work. my Macbook pro sits on my desk plugged into a 24 inch display, external ssd, keyboard and mouse. I basically use it as a desktop, I rarely remove it from the desk because I take the ipad everywhere. I love typeing on teh magic keyboard better than my desk keyboard or the macbook pro keyboard. And I read books on the ipad constantly, so it’s better than reading on a laptop or phone.

So if I am not sure if I would buy a laptop again. Once it is time to upgrade I might try to just do phone + ipad + desktop. I would get the multifunction (reading, drawing, typing, simple work stuff) and portability of the ipad plus the power of a desktop (audio / video recording and editing, and gaming) when I am home.
That's an interesting take. I tried it but discovered that I prefer thinking and writing through my fingers on a laptop.

Reactions: permanoob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.