Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
How's the authorized Apple service centers in your country? Are they even available? That "longevity" is meaningless if you end up having to go to sketchy repair shop that use fake parts. And you have to get these devices repaired sooner or later, mainly to replace the aging battery. So put that into consideration.
There aren't any official apple stores in my country so .. mostly some 3rd party repair shops

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
There aren't any official apple stores in my country so .. mostly some 3rd party repair shops
But are there any authorized Apple service centers? These are not Apple stores, but they are officially endorsed by Apple and have access to genuine parts from Apple. If they don't exist in your country, then in my opinion, I wouldn't even consider anything Apple. The price premium is not worth it when you have zero access to the support, which is partly what you're paying the premium for.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
“Formerly given to the iPad”. The iPhone came first. The disrespect omg. 😵

The iPad follows in the chart before the iPhone since Apple keeps insisting on having the iPad be a laptop replacement instead of what it does best: A tablet.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
But are there any authorized Apple service centers? These are not Apple stores, but they are officially endorsed by Apple and have access to genuine parts from Apple. If they don't exist in your country, then in my opinion, I wouldn't even consider anything Apple. The price premium is not worth it when you have zero access to the support, which is partly what you're paying the premium for.
Oof that's a huge letdown 😔

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Depends on if you like having a lot of phone functions moved to your watch.

Grand+Unified+Theory+of+Apple+Products+%28Above+Avalon%29

The Apple Watch can be used to move texts, notifications, calls, and other functions you quickly access. It can also be used for health tracking. But utlimately it's up to you. You can skip the watch for now and the money used to get a better Mac or iPhone.
The watch on your wrist and earbuds in your ears form the demarcation line between the computer as a tool and the computer as human-enhancement. On the other side of that line are computers meant to enhance humans such as AR goggles and Neuralink brain-machine interfaces.

Last edited:

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Also , if I remove the airpods 2 , I can afford the apple watch SE Nike edition 40mm , do you think it's worth it ?
Watch is far, far more useful than fancy earbuds, in my opinion.

AirPods aren't bad, but you can get cheap bluetooth earbuds for like $20-25 that will last you a long time if you take care of them. Look up Lenovo Earbuds. Vs a watch which will integrate seamlessly with your iPhone, shows you notifications on the fly, and will last you many years.

Reactions: SloumaGamer

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The only difference between AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3 is they don't have Spatial Audio and they have longer stems, which is negligible. They both sound the same sound wise, it's not a big leap like AirPods Pro Gen 1 and 2 are.
The AirPods 3 are also slightly thicker than 1 and 2, which depending on your ears may be good or bad (it’s bad for mine). Another important difference is that you operate 1 & 2 by tapping, but 3 by squeezing the stems. Tapping allows operation while you are wearing a beanie or gloves, when squeezing is difficult or impossible. This is probably less likely to be a problem in third-world countries, due to their generally warmer climate.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I think that the core and the most importante thing for you in your ecosystem is the Macbook since you will do your primary work on it. Something better than an Air with 8GB and 256GB. A Pro 13" with 16GB/512GB?

For me, the iPad is not necessary sincerely. I have an iPad 10th and barely use it since i have a Macbook 12" 2017. If you think you will use the ipad for your workflow, go ahead. If not, think twice since you can use that money to get a better Macbook.

With the iPhone, looks like you don't need a good iPhone so, an SE 2022 should be fine but you can also try to find a second hand iPhone 12/13. It most be just a little more expensive but you get better cameras, face id and a updated design. If you will not need a super phone, you can grab a SE 2020 which work flawlessly even today and are really cheap.

With the Airpod/Apple Watch i think that they are not necessary. I had both of them and gave them to my partner and mom. Useful but they are more a luxury item than a necessary item.

With the Apple TV. My parents have one and i really really love it but it is expensive and you can use a Roku instead. Please don't buy a chromecast.. I have one and for me is one of the worst peace of tech you can buy.

Regen1997

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2021
so in my opinion, first of all I would skip on having an iPad! As amazing as it sounds there’s not much to it. I would prioritise having a better MacBook and iPhone. What I would spend on an iPad in your case I would consider putting that money into either better spec MacBook Air M2, used MacBook Pro M1 or newer model iPhone in used or new condition such as iPhone 13, depending your budget; money better spent trust me. In your case I can tell MacBook is a necessity and once you have a MacBook & iPhone, iPad becomes unnecessary.

AirPods 2 are great I have them myself although I recently got AirPods Max which I use mostly now. I listen to music daily so AirPods are the must for me.

Last edited:

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
I think that the core and the most importante thing for you in your ecosystem is the Macbook since you will do your primary work on it. Something better than an Air with 8GB and 256GB. A Pro 13" with 16GB/512GB?

For me, the iPad is not necessary sincerely. I have an iPad 10th and barely use it since i have a Macbook 12" 2017. If you think you will use the ipad for your workflow, go ahead. If not, think twice since you can use that money to get a better Macbook.

With the iPhone, looks like you don't need a good iPhone so, an SE 2022 should be fine but you can also try to find a second hand iPhone 12/13. It most be just a little more expensive but you get better cameras, face id and a updated design. If you will not need a super phone, you can grab a SE 2020 which work flawlessly even today and are really cheap.

With the Airpod/Apple Watch i think that they are not necessary. I had both of them and gave them to my partner and mom. Useful but they are more a luxury item than a necessary item.

With the Apple TV. My parents have one and i really really love it but it is expensive and you can use a Roku instead. Please don't buy a chromecast.. I have one and for me is one of the worst peace of tech you can buy.
Well tbh I like the ipad , I always wanted a good tablet to be with me along with the iphone and MacBook , so I can't really cut it out for now , as for the apple watch and airpods , I could cut them off and use them to get and iphone 13 or 12 pro max , also for the MacBook there is only the base models even for the pro

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
so in my opinion, first of all I would skip on having an iPad! As amazing as it sounds there’s not much to it. I would prioritise having a better MacBook and iPhone. What I would spend on an iPad in your case I would consider putting that money into either better spec MacBook Air M2, used MacBook Pro M1 or newer model iPhone in used or new condition such as iPhone 13, depending your budget; money better spent trust me. In your case I can tell MacBook is a necessity and once you have a MacBook & iPhone, iPad becomes unnecessary.

AirPods 2 are great I have them myself although I recently got AirPods Max which I use mostly now. I listen to music daily so AirPods are the must for me.
Again , I really seem to like the ipad , I always wanted to get one ngl lol as for the watch and airpods however , I could cut them off to get an iphone 12 pro max or iphone 13 or a MacBook pro M1

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
UPDATE : I've read all your comments and decided to modify my list a little bit , but then again I'm still stuck with the decision making lol so tell me what's the best between these :

1) Iphone 13 128GB brand new + MacBook pro M1 8GB/256GB + airpods 2nd gen

2) iphone 13 128GB brand new + MacBook air M2 8GB/256GB + airpods 2nd gen

3) iphone 13 128GB brand new + MacBook air M1 8GB/256GB + ipad 9th gen 64GB + airpods 2nd gen

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
UPDATE : I've read all your comments and decided to modify my list a little bit , but then again I'm still stuck with the decision making lol so tell me what's the best between these :

1) Iphone 13 64GB brand new + MacBook pro M1 8GB/256GB + airpods 2nd gen

2) iphone 13 64GB brand new + MacBook air M2 8GB/256GB + airpods 2nd gen

3) iphone 13 64GB brand new + MacBook air M1 8GB/256GB + ipad 9th gen 64GB + airpods 2nd gen
iPhone 13 base storage is 128GB.

I assume you have taken all the considerations, and you know these specifications will be fine for your need. Then I would go with option 1, noting that iPhone 13 starts at 128GB. I wouldn’t get M2 MacBook Air due to lack of heat sink, and the base 256GB model has neutered SSD. For something that’s expensive, I would not be willing for corners to be cut.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
iPhone 13 base storage is 128GB.

I assume you have taken all the considerations, and you know these specifications will be fine for your need. Then I would go with option 1, noting that iPhone 13 starts at 128GB. I wouldn’t get M2 MacBook Air due to lack of heat sink, and the base 256GB model has neutered SSD. For something that’s expensive, I would not be willing for corners to be cut.
Oh yeah I forgot about that ! Okay thanks

saintmac

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
Hi,
I've read most of the thread and this is probably not the comment you wanted to hear but still:

If your main argument for investing in Apple devices is longevity I would highly discourage you from getting a 8gb RAM Macbook in 2023 for coding. I also code and my last macbook with less than 16gb of RAM is from 2009.

It sounds like you already have a decent PC and phone and you're a student with limited budget. Save your money and buy what you need when you really need it.

If you need a laptop, then buy yourself a 16gb M1 Macbook air.

If you lack decent earphones and don't need noise cancellation, the airpods 2 are still good and I use them daily despite also owning Pros and Max.

When your smartphone dies, then you'll see which iPhone it makes sense to buy.

Once you have an iPhone If you're into fitness tracking or sleep tracking and don't have any gps watch / sleep tracker then the apple watch is amazing.

Apple TV also a nice to have once you have everything above and have a dumb tv.
iPad is just a nice to have that I personally use 1% of the time compared to my macbook or iPhone.

Last advice from someone that really enjoys buying apple devices: the novelty wears off quickly. I feel like buying them one by one will provide you with more satisfaction that buying them all at once.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
Hi,
I've read most of the thread and this is probably not the comment you wanted to hear but still:

If your main argument for investing in Apple devices is longevity I would highly discourage you from getting a 8gb RAM Macbook in 2023 for coding. I also code and my last macbook with less than 16gb of RAM is from 2009.

It sounds like you already have a decent PC and phone and you're a student with limited budget. Save your money and buy what you need when you really need it.

If you need a laptop, then buy yourself a 16gb M1 Macbook air.

If you lack decent earphones and don't need noise cancellation, the airpods 2 are still good and I use them daily despite also owning Pros and Max.

When your smartphone dies, then you'll see which iPhone it makes sense to buy.

Once you have an iPhone If you're into fitness tracking or sleep tracking and don't have any gps watch / sleep tracker then the apple watch is amazing.

Apple TV also a nice to have once you have everything above and have a dumb tv.
iPad is just a nice to have that I personally use 1% of the time compared to my macbook or iPhone.

Last advice from someone that really enjoys buying apple devices: the novelty wears off quickly. I feel like buying them one by one will provide you with more satisfaction that buying them all at once.
Thank you 🙏

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
My advice would also be that if you are a developer, go for a more expensive Mac, with 16GB RAM minimum.

My recommendation would be iPhone SE, MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 16/512 and Airpods.

The iPad you can buy later. In my case it is my "main" device because I am used to use it as my laptop, but it is true that it is not for everyone and to see social networks or movies, you already have the Mac or iPhone.

AirPods 2 would be a good complement.

iPhone SE + MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16/512 and AirPods 2 would be what I would choose to start in the ecosystem, based on what I've seen in the post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.