Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It's flat out union discouragement and busting tactics

Yep - straight out of the playbook.

out of curiosity why did conservatives stop supporting unions?

What's funny is my coworkers tend to be deeply conservative, yet almost every one of them enjoys being a member of our union. It's the typical "I hate this because it's what I've been told to hate, but now that it benefits me - I LOVE IT!"

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
It's embarrassing how many people lick the boots of a 3 trillion dollar corporation while we have 550,000 people sleeping on our streets each night.

No wonder **** never changes.
Tell me why I should care about some zombie junkies turning the streets of my city into some third-world ********.

Call it whatever you wish but I'll happily take a $3 trillion dollar company who actually contributes to society as opposed to the trash I have to step over daily.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Call it whatever you wish but I'll happily take a $3 trillion dollar company who actually contributes to society as opposed to the trash I have to step over daily.

Are you actually calling the homeless people "trash"?

(or do you mean actual trash?)

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
I believe I will say it again: Unions had their time and place - the bigger problem isn’t Unions or business, it is the fact that our elected leaders have failed to push policy that prevents bad behavior from both companies and employees. But, here we are in the great USA, where politician’s hands are covered in green and where they set one set of rules for one group and another set for another and they get the golden goose.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Its not illegal at all, its exactly what unionized employees signed up for. They are represented by a union, the union must negotiate with Apple for any and all changes to benefits/compensation.

☝️☝️☝️ THIS.

Once a union is in place, that acts as a barrier between the employer and the employees. Apple would be bypassing the union if they offered "perks" to employees directly. Everything must go through the union for approval.

I am not a fan of unions. They are often abused by employees at the cost of the employer, and that is just wrong. Another word for "business" is "trade". The same goes for employment. Employees must give their time, expertise and skills to the employer in exchange for pay. Too many workers expect to be paid for doing or giving nothing, especially in the mindset of a union.

Reactions: Tec972 and strongy

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple: We're such a progressive company!

Also Apple: We're hostile to unions!

Honestly this makes me want to spend less money at Apple. I could seriously start going a lot longer between upgrades to start.

It's really important for as many employees as possible around the world to unionize ahead of the recession when people will be in much less of a position to do so do to layoffs, etc. Labor has been in more of a position of power in recent years and now with inflation companies need to stop raking in record profits and share the wealth. The buying power of the working class has tanked.

Your choice to view this as hostility is merely your own perspective. That doesn't make it fact. Try to see this through a different lens. Under the veil of a union, Apple is technically *not allowed* to do certain things without negotiating and getting approval. They stated that they are open to negotiations.

Reactions: strongy

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
☝️☝️☝️ THIS.

Once a union is in place, that acts as a barrier between the employer and the employees. Apple would be bypassing the union if they offered "perks" to employees directly. Everything must go through the union for approval.

I am not a fan of unions. They are often abused by employees at the cost of the employer, and that is just wrong. Another word for "business" is "trade". The same goes for employment. Employees must give their time, expertise and skills to the employer in exchange for pay. Too many workers expect to be paid for doing or giving nothing, especially in the mindset of a union.
No, it's actually not "legal" to offer perks to non-unionized employees specifically in an effort to dissuade people from joining the union. That's union busting.

It is legal to offer different things to union/non-union employees, but if the NRLB finds it was with "animus toward the union," that's not legal at all.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Tell me why I should care about some zombie junkies turning the streets of my city into some third-world ********.

You, me, most folks really, are just one bad turn, just one major emergency, away from those you just called trash. You should think about that.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No, it's actually not "legal" to offer perks to non-unionized employees specifically in an effort to dissuade people from joining the union. That's union busting.

It is legal to offer different things to union/non-union employees, but if the NRLB finds it was with "animus toward the union," that's not legal at all.

You're making an assumption that the motivation for offering perks is to bust unions. But with a union in place, Apple is not allowed to offer perks to the workers without the union agreeing. So now all workers are withheld perks because one store's union hasn't yet approved? Who's being selfish now.

Reactions: strongy

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I don't care.

I have to step over used needles - DAILY

I have to step over human excrement - DAILY

I have to witness people peeing in the streets - DAILY

I get accosted, threatened & harassed by these "individuals" - DAILY

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF IT! My city used to be one of the most beautiful cities to visit. Now, thanks in part to these jokers, it's an unsafe, landfill/outhouse wherever you go and the city refuses to do anything about it.

They need to be given a choice - either get cleaned up and go to rehab or be thrown in jail.
Are you deliberately trying to paraphrase scrooge? Because what you sound like is “Are there no prisons”

bLackjackj

Suspended
Nov 14, 2016
Interesting tactic by Apple and very vindictive. A lot of Apple staff in Australia are a part of the the retail union and there are no such issues, as staff legally cannot be discriminated against. Apple don't seem to have any problem here with staff joining a union - hypocritical much.

Why does this only happen in the US??

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Well yeah, the union needs to be involved in all aspects of the employment now. They need to do a better job fighting for their members seemingly

bLackjackj

Suspended
Nov 14, 2016
That's ridiculous - you can't join a union and then negotiate your own extra benefits. No union would allow that - and then they would turn around and sue the company for trying to deal under the table.

It's not about that. As what happens in Australia,..Apple SHOULD HAVE negotiated with the Union in terms of collective bargaining and then provide any benefits to ALL staff. In Australia we have collective bargaining and it is still a CHOICE whether you wish to join a union. You cannot be legally held at a disadvantage at any point.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
No, there is no legal obligation on Apple to do this. They're just being petty.
That's not actually how it works.

The company I work for has union and non-union reps. The union has been around for decades.
The non-union reps have been able to work from home for years, even before the pandemic. However, we were not able to offer the same benefits to our unionized reps because all benefits have to be bargained for. The union and the company finally extended and made modifications to the contract this summer, a full 2+ years after an emergency agreement was put in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.