Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Per USA Today, unionized workers earn an average of $1.5 million more over a lifetime than non-union.

Meanwhile Tim Cook earned a $3 million annual salary, $82.3 million stock award, and a $12 million cash bonus. In one year.

It's funny that many will argue against unions - against their own kind of people: the working class. And this isn't the 1970s and the era of Jimmy Hoffa. That stereotype has long been dead.
unfortunately many public sector unions give them a bad name.

see: police and teachers unions and how many bad members of both never get fired, as well as their lifetime pensions and benefits being an enormous untenable drag on state budgets. one more thing boomers gave to themselves that future generations are paying for, and do not get.

Reactions: strongy

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I'm pro-union before I'm an Apple customer. Apple needs to reverse course on this. I'm betting I'm not alone and I will dump them immediately if they start any union-busting garbage.

• Haha

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
unfortunately many public sector unions give them a bad name.

see: police and teachers unions and how many bad members of both never get fired, as well as their lifetime pensions and benefits being an enormous untenable drag on state budgets. one more thing boomers gave to themselves that future generations are paying for, and do not get.

Yeah, that's exactly what they want--for us to argue amongst ourselves and blame each other. No, it's not the overpaid executive class and the shareholders taking home truckloads of cash every year. It's the boomers. It's the teachers and police. It's that grumpy guy in the local Auditor's office who can't be fired. They're the problem. If everyone would just dump their unions, it would be all unicorns and rainbows.

:rolleyes:

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Meanwhile, her total compensation for the year was a meagre $27 million.
It's actually quite disgusting how much she is compensated for running "the retail" side of a company that essentially sells 3 products. $27 million is nuts. $3 Million is more appropriate. I say this because I personally know numerous CTOs, CIOs, CFOs, and other C level execs that earn $2-$5 million per year and, trust me, have far, far, far more responsibility and accountability than Deidre's role.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Unions are there to try and protect the employee. The company is there to milk the employee for everything their worth. The world is bonkers. Apple makes billions yet is acting so selfishly.
I've never believed Apple (or some/all retailers) are there to "milk the employee for everything their worth." But you do have to consider the math: Apple employees more than 65,000 in their retail stores globally. If each were given some kind of $1000 yearly increase (wage, benefits, bonus, etc.), that would amount to $65,000,000 extra PER YEAR in retail employee compensation. I'm not saying the employees do not deserve it, but $65 million extra per year on a simple $1000 per employee increase is a LOT of money. I would argue that each retail employee in the USA would (as would we all) ask for more than a $1000 YEARLY increase. So keep doing the math and see how the numbers roll out into the hundreds of millions or even billions.

Apple retail employees earn between $17 and $30 PER HOUR selling 3 products (iPad, iPhone, Mac). If I were 20-30 years old, I would kill to earn that kind of HOURLY WAGE (hourly wage isn't (and shouldn't be) a CAREER folks) and work at a super clean, super fun, super friendly retail environment with cool perks like deeply discounted hardware (if not free). Compare working at an Apple retail store to your local supermarket or clothing store or any old store in a mall or the lawn care place in town or being a waiter or pumping gas or working at a car wash or working at a fast food place or <insert your favorite hourly wage job here> and I'd bet you'd pick Apple hands down.

Lastly, the last time I checked, hourly employees do not get a "share" of what the company makes. You want a stake/share in the company?...go work in corporate and work your way up to some kind of Director or VP or Executive level role where the DECISIONS YOU MAKE affect hundreds of thousands of jobs as well as tens or hundreds of millions of paying customers. Until then, you're decision to suggest the 128GB model over the 64GB model for 9 customers a day pales and frankly, has no market driver.

Reactions: strongy and T Coma

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Apple retail employees earn between $17 and $30 PER HOUR selling 3 products (iPad, iPhone, Mac). If I were 20-30 years old, I would kill to earn that kind of HOURLY WAGE (hourly wage isn't (and shouldn't be) a CAREER folks) and work at a super clean, super fun, super friendly retail environment with cool perks like deeply discounted hardware (if not free). Compare working at an Apple retail store to your local supermarket or clothing store or any old store in a mall or the lawn care place in town or being a waiter or pumping gas or working at a car wash or working at a fast food place or <insert your favorite hourly wage job here> and I'd bet you'd pick Apple hands down.

I think this type of thinking is part of our societal issue

There's no reason hourly wage compensation structures can't be part of career paths.

We need people to do all of the things you mentioned (and more) that happen to have that compensation structure.

There's no reason those can't or shouldn't be careers if people want them to be. I especially disagree with the age segregation there. Why should only young people be doing some of these jobs?

"Grinding up the ladder in corporate land" is a soulless existence to many folks and that shouldn't be the only way to have a good lifestyle and indeed life.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Yeah, that's exactly what they want--for us to argue amongst ourselves and blame each other. No, it's not the overpaid executive class and the shareholders taking home truckloads of cash every year. It's the boomers. It's the teachers and police. It's that grumpy guy in the local Auditor's office who can't be fired. They're the problem. If everyone would just dump their unions, it would be all unicorns and rainbows.

:rolleyes:
His point was there are some really good examples of BAD unions: police, government, teachers, etc. I 100% agree. I'm 50+ years old and it really burns me that there are TONS of examples of bad unions every few weeks in the paper (yes I still read the paper :) ) in no particular order:

• Cops earning $70k "salary" yet rake in $200k+ in "overtime"
  • Bad teachers that simply cannot be fired
  • Government employees (US Postal Service for example) that "retire" in their 50's AND collect a great pension for the rest of their 40+ years on this earth.
  • Unions that demand a yearly salary increase of at least 5%
  • Teachers unions that promote walking off the job for days or weeks because they can't negotiate
  • Unions that allow you to retire, collect a pension, and then go work somewhere else while collecting said pension (see basically any government job especially in law enforcement).

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
You literally have no idea,..can you please do some research first! Australia IS a democracy. Australia has Unions who have fought for so many rights. They do not act as a "barrier",..it actually stops companies doing wrong to their employees. Companies still function as normal, but staff don't have to fight for their fundamental working rights. No, perks DO NOT have to be run by the union, but APPLE should treat all staff equally. If a Union was in place, ALL Apple staff would be treated equally and we wouldn't be having this conversation!
Australia. The shining beacon of individual rights the last couple of years.
ALL treated equally… crappy.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
I think this type of thinking is part of our societal issue

There's no reason hourly wage compensation structures can't be part of career paths.

We need people to do all of the things you mentioned (and more) that happen to have that compensation structure.

There's no reason those can't or shouldn't be careers if people want them to be. I especially disagree with the age segregation there. Why should only young people be doing some of these jobs?

"Grinding up the ladder in corporate land" is a soulless existence to many folks and that shouldn't be the only way to have a good lifestyle and indeed life.
I agree with you that hourly wage compensation structures CAN be part of career paths...and it's far too lengthy for this site or me to type. :) But in essence, in the USA, hourly wages equates to a non-career. You're hourly because they (restaurant, retail, gas station, lawn service, whatever) doesn't know if your committed to this line of work as well as most hourly wage jobs in the USA are basically minimum wage. Sure, there are some great hourly wage gigs as a plumber or electrician or appliance retail person and I would argue a good percent own their own business. Definitely. But the vast majority of hourly wage in the USA is really to be a stepping stone...you get your first hourly wage job in your teens, do it for a few years at various places, and do the same if/when you go to college. But within 2 years of stepping out of college (age 23+) you should be applying all 4 years of high school education, 4 years of college education, 8+ years of hourly wage jobs into something that is salary...a job/career/path that gives you a steady paycheck WITH BENEFITS every week. A path to grow in the company whether it's "horizontal" or "vertical".

You're right...we need people all over this earth to pack my groceries or give me advice on the iPhone or help me find a pair of pants or take my food order or help me buy electronics. But those jobs should be BUILDING your customer service skills...BUILDING your interpersonal skills...BUILDING your business skills, etc. You can stay hourly for decades to come and the pay (not benefits and vacation etc) might be good/great or the personal reward might be great.

I also agree with you that "Grinding up the ladder in corporate land" is, in my life, not my cup of soup. I've been an "individual contributor" for a few companies since 1993 and I am still very fulfilled. Being a manager is not my forte. I also simply don't want the responsibility of 5+ other people's careers, sometimes for a measly $5k/year in salary bump. Trust me, for $5k a year ($400/month, $100/week) I will go home with less stress, worry, and responsibility to be with my kids and wife knowing that I did a great job.

I wasn't trying to imply only young people can earn hourly wages...there are plenty examples of retirement-age people working at Walmart and other places but I would argue that's partly/mainly due to their actual need of income vs. being bored in retirement vs. wanting of incoming vs. wanting to feel productive in society. But realistically (in my view), a person should start off hourly in their teens, build lots of skills for 5-10 years, and then figure out how to go "salary" and get piece of mind of a known weekly paycheck, benefits, time off, healthcare, and predictable schedule. There are exceptions, of course in which an "hourly" job/career can really pay well (see electrician, plumber, appliance repair). However, I do take great issue with any-aged person who thinks they should be able to work retail for their entire life and consider it a career or "living wage". No. No. You chose to work at a minimum wage (or close to) job that pays hourly ONLY WHEN YOU SHOW UP, and is NOT intended to support anyone other than yourself. Now you have the gall (or at least minimal intelligence) to complain that the $19/hour job you do for 40 hours a week doesn't cover your wife and 2 kids and all expenses(food, clothing, rent, utilities, car, gas, insurance, fun, vacations, birthday gifts, religious donations, etc.). Those people need a kick from reality.

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Good for Apple, unions can be good but in my life experience of 50 years in the field, they breed mediocracy and protect dead wood. Coming from the likes of Hewlett-Packard (non union) and dipping thru aerospace (very union) the sheer waste and incompetence was eye opening. Everyone wants free stuff, till it's all gone. I'll take meritocracy ANY DAY.
Are you a republican?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple, as a proxy for their investors, doesn't see employees as assets but liabilities.
Human is a liability by design. Might as well replace every single human with robots at this rate.
oh wait, what? Robots needs to be repaired? Liability as well? -_-
Sure but most of these peons apple hires aren’t even worth paying minimum wage to. Unions are a joke.
Then why not apple just getting rid of “most of those peons” within 24 hours, instead dragging the fight like forever?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I guess I'm an old-school capitalist, because I think you should be able to pay your employees whatever the heck you want to pay them. If they don't like the pay, they don't have to apply. And if they're already employed, they can find greener land on greener pastures. And if your wages are too poor, or over-the-top-bad, you will go out of business and the system will flush you out and naturally rid itself of your bad businesses decisions/labor practices.

Ah, the free market and personal accountability. What a concept.
Greed is the main reason this concept will never work. Ever. We can’t eliminate our greed, thus this concept will never work irl. Ever.

Regulation exist for a reason.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Apple, as a proxy for their investors, doesn't see employees as assets but liabilities.

Because they are...

In the context of cashflow, anything that puts money in your pocket is an asset, anything that takes money from your pocket is an liability.

Your big fancy house is your liability, and it's your bank's asset.

Girls you enter marrages with become your forever liability, at least that's the case on paper. How much net emotional, sexual, reproductive and social value you get from that is a different calculation.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
The "benefits" offered here to non-union employees are peanuts. It's a straw dog to try and isolate stores that want to unionize.

The bigger the union, the stronger the bargaining power. Or Apple closes all retail stores outside of flagship downtown locations (which are insanely profitable).

The end game will have no in-between.
It is very disappointing, but also not surprising, to see Apple not take a more progressive approach and go the anti-union route.

The simple fact of the matter is that there is no way individuals in general can by their own dint negotiate well with a large corporation. It's a simple matter of unequal power.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I worked for a defense company. I was hourly but non-union. The hourly union workers complained non- union people were paid more and had better benefits. All true. We laughed.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Really?

Let's see how the hearing goes later this month.
In the story, there’s a quote where the president of the union waved the union’s bargaining rights. If all the union is going to do related to wages is “whatever non-union folks get”, then that’s kinda bad union leadership right there isn’t it? Shouldn’t the union have the power to ask for MORE than the non-union folks get? Yet, without any pause, the union is waving that right to do better by the employees that are in the union. I hope that, if Starbuck’s goes into layoff mode, the leadership doesn’t immediately waive their bargaining rights. :) “Everyone, I’ve waived our bargaining rights again, sooooo, we’re all laid off!”

Either way, I think one big difference is Apple’s not withholding raises from union employees the way Starbuck’s is. They’re doing tuition reimbursements (employee pays out of pocket, and Apple reimburses), a Coursera membership (worth 33 bucks a month that can ONLY be spent on Coursera) and a special health care plan that waives co-pays. These benefits packages are indeed the kind of things that unions should negotiate (and, I mean, they should do the wages thing, too, but that’s the union leadership they paid for). Thing is, the union can very likely negotiate and win these things, it’s just that the employees in the union have to wait for those negotiations to occur.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I would definitely want a union rep with me if I had to negotiate with Apple. You’d be crazy to think you could do better going up against a $1 trillion corporation, or whatever it is now, as an individual. 🍸😼
The individual employees just got some nice new benefits, though. And, from my reckoning, all they had to do is…
umm… let’s seee…..
ah here it is.

exist.

Likely the easiest negotiation ever. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.