Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Not really news. The workers wanted a separate plan via a union so the union they joined needs to request these perks separately from everyone else. That’s the entire point of the union as a negotiator.
Now that I think of it, the union would actually FIRST have to vote to see if the union even wants tuition reimbursement or Coursera or no co-pay. If most don’t want tuition reimbursement because they’d prefer the no co-pay, then what the collective union wants is what they take to management to negotiate. We can’t assume that EVERY union employee is even interested in each of these new benefits especially when what they’d RATHER the union negotiate for is more money. Which union employee wouldn’t quickly swap free Coursera for $33 bucks a month (or more) added to their check?

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
I don’t understand the details of how unions work so this may be an ignorant question but is it possible that they technically can’t change negotiated benefits without renegotiating with the union even if the changes are positive? Like if I owned a company with unionized workers and I wanted to give all employees a 10% raise I couldn’t because I’d technically be non-compliant with the contract.

That‘s not commentary on the usefulness of unions either way though - it’s not like thats a common direction changes usually take. I’m just wondering if that’s the actual reason and management is just spinning it a bit to capitalize on the situation. Like - not so much ‘evil company’, more ‘jerk company that will take the opportunity to rub it in’.
I arguably am part of one of the bigger union, the BMA, which protects doctors working in the UK NHS. They fight on our behalf against the government. Without our union we literally have no protection at all. There is no way an individual can stand up to big corporations or in my case the government.
I've never believed Apple (or some/all retailers) are there to "milk the employee for everything they’re worth." But you do have to consider the math: Apple employees more than 65,000 in their retail stores globally. If each were given some kind of $1000 yearly increase (wage, benefits, bonus, etc.), that would amount to $65,000,000 extra PER YEAR in retail employee compensation. I'm not saying the employees do not deserve it, but $65 million extra per year on a simple $1000 per employee increase is a LOT of money. I would argue that each retail employee in the USA would (as would we all) ask for more than a $1000 YEARLY increase. So keep doing the math and see how the numbers roll out into the hundreds of millions or even billions.

Apple retail employees earn between $17 and $30 PER HOUR selling 3 products (iPad, iPhone, Mac). If I were 20-30 years old, I would kill to earn that kind of HOURLY WAGE (hourly wage isn't (and shouldn't be) a CAREER folks) and work at a super clean, super fun, super friendly retail environment with cool perks like deeply discounted hardware (if not free). Compare working at an Apple retail store to your local supermarket or clothing store or any old store in a mall or the lawn care place in town or being a waiter or pumping gas or working at a car wash or working at a fast food place or <insert your favorite hourly wage job here> and I'd bet you'd pick Apple hands down.

Lastly, the last time I checked, hourly employees do not get a "share" of what the company makes. You want a stake/share in the company?...go work in corporate and work your way up to some kind of Director or VP or Executive level role where the DECISIONS YOU MAKE affect hundreds of thousands of jobs as well as tens or hundreds of millions of paying customers. Until then, you're decision to suggest the 128GB model over the 64GB model for 9 customers a day pales and frankly, has no market driver.

You’ve kind of made my point. 65mil sounds like a lot but it’s not a lot for a company like apple. Apples gross profit for last year was 165 billion!!! We need to level up the planet a bit. I’m all for hard work but the wealth divide is getting bigger. It makes no sense that a large proportion live close to the poverty line and a few individuals have more wealth than the entire population of a country!

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
There is surely a reason why unionization became a topic inside Apple, well treated employees would not even think about it.
I’m kinda of the opinion, and this is ONLY from looking at a leaked list of “demands” they wanted their union members to weigh in on, that the store just had REALLY bad management and they were effective at keeping the national org in the dark for a LOOOONG time. This is because a few of the top demands on the list (I don’t know if they were listed in order of importance or not) were things that the local leadership is 100% responsible for. Things like scheduling changes and being respected.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Um, why is this news? I don't think Apple is being "punitive" to unionized employees. This is how unions work. They weren't "denied" anything. When Apple and the union renegotiate contracts on behalf of all the employees, if Apple withholds benefits at that time, then it would be considered foul play. Not to mention, the union would be doing a terrible job representing the employees interests.

No matter how much an employer does for the employee, it will NEVER be good enough short of giving them the entire ship. Even then, that still wouldn't be good enough. You give them an inch, and they take a mile.

Speaking from experience as an employer. No matter how lenient you are with policies and rules, no matter how generous you are with pay and raises occurring like clockwork for every employee, no matter how generous benefits are with no strings attached, no matter how pleasant the working environment is...a vocal minority will always find room for grievances short of squeezing the employer for everything they have.

Sure, Apple has deep pockets, but that's beside the point. What should matter is what's FAIR, not how deep Apple's pockets are. What is a fair compensation for the job? What is a fair expectation for job performance? Does Apple offer competitive compensation? Anything more than what's FAIR turns into the pot calling the kettle black, with the employees being unfair to the employer due to factors that are irrelevant to the job being offered.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I suspect this is just the next step in Apples fight against widespread unionisation. Longer term if more people do join the Union it will be better overall for the members. If you don’t want the burden of Unions as a country then get your politicians to legislate for decent minimums in terms of pay and benefits.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
His point was there are some really good examples of BAD unions: police, government, teachers, etc. I 100% agree. I'm 50+ years old and it really burns me that there are TONS of examples of bad unions every few weeks in the paper (yes I still read the paper :) ) in no particular order:

• Cops earning $70k "salary" yet rake in $200k+ in "overtime"
  • Bad teachers that simply cannot be fired
  • Government employees (US Postal Service for example) that "retire" in their 50's AND collect a great pension for the rest of their 40+ years on this earth.
  • Unions that demand a yearly salary increase of at least 5%
  • Teachers unions that promote walking off the job for days or weeks because they can't negotiate
  • Unions that allow you to retire, collect a pension, and then go work somewhere else while collecting said pension (see basically any government job especially in law enforcement).

Hypothetical examples. There aren't nearly as many in real-life as right-wing echo chambers would have us all believe. I've worked in several different union jobs and across the board, the employees tend to be better workers because they're happy with the environment, the pay and the respect they get. And sure, there will always be a few bad ones, but there's no shortage of that in non-union work places too. And often times, those people are protected by other things: nepotism, being buddy-buddy with the right managers, etc. You seriously think the same can't-fire-bad-employees dynamic doesn't happen in the private sector? I've been there too and have seen it for myself. And what happens more often in the private sector? Lousy management who can't be fired because the company protects their own at all costs.

Spare me the scare tactics and made-up examples. It's literally no different than the garbage that happens at non-union jobs except in the union positions, the good employees have a chance of being treated well.

On balance, unions do far more good than bad. I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater because the alternative is way worse.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Always interesting read from the other side of the Atlantic.

Unions would not be needed if there was not a institutionalised unemployment to suppress market economy driven wage development. This institutionalised unemployment is endorsed by governments and private sector alike and put the employed at a great disadvantage during negotiations.

A few, like the creative class and IT personnel (over represented here) work in a field with chronic need for workers and then it is easier to be without a Union.

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
Well that works both ways. Presumably Apple is happy to offer benefits and pay to union stores it would not be prepared to offer to non union as they are after all different in their negotiation strategies.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
For goodness sake Apple treat your people better, your business is not at risk. I buy your products because of the thought that goes into them - please put the same attention into the welfare of those that give you their time. It feels so unnecessary for Apple to cause this friction!

Reactions: turbineseaplane

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Wait till Apple start downsizing their retail stores, then we will see who will be the ones complaining, it wont be the unionized store that's for sure.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
The Union does not always know what's best! Look what happened to Detroit and the Auto workers Union! Case closed!

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
For goodness sake Apple treat your people better, your business is not at risk. I buy your products because of the thought that goes into them - please put the same attention into the welfare of those that give you their time. It feels so unnecessary for Apple to cause this friction!
Technically Apple cannot go around he Union. The employees voted for this themselves.

Reactions: strongy

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I suspect this is just the next step in Apples fight against widespread unionisation. Longer term if more people do join the Union it will be better overall for the members. If you don’t want the burden of Unions as a country then get your politicians to legislate for decent minimums in terms of pay and benefits.
If it’s a step, it’s a VERRY weak step. As far as value…

reimbursement - until you finish the classes, zero (so, net INTO pocket in the short term, zero)
Coursera - $33 a month. (so, yay, extra $33 of pay… but it goes into someone else’s pocket. Would prefer the pay.)
zero co-pay - not even an option that’s offered for non-union employees in Maryland (so, again, zero)

Net benefit being discussed here in the short term (that doesn’t require the employee to pay anything first).
$33 a month… but they’re forced to spend it on Coursera.

This is their… “fight” against unionization?
“See? If you were non-union Towson, you’d get COURSERA! Hah? How ya like them… Apples?” Anyone in the union tempted by this isn’t paying attention.

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Apple is free to offer whatever benefits they want to union employees. It's up to the union whether they want to agree to the offer or not.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
How disrespectful.

Can we have a normal conversation here?

I believe we all agree we have a homeless problem.

Let’s look at root cause. Ronald Reagan and the decommissioning of mental health institutions would be a start.
The decommissioning of mental health institutions had begun long before Reagan; it was just finalized by him. There was, and still is, a real discussion about these institutions. They were considered dehumanizing and placements could often be manipulated. The funds that supported those institutions was given back to the states for the creation of state-specific support programs. However, those funds were likely diluted and diverted.
You see similar challenges in public education between having dedicated special ed classes vs special ed students being main-streamed into a "regular" classroom. There are good arguments on both sides. But often the driving factor is cost (one teacher with aides in a single classroom vs an aide per student in a mainstream class), parental pressure, and legal factors.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Apple is free to offer whatever benefits they want to union employees. It's up to the union whether they want to agree to the offer or not.
Agreed. Too many here are arguing that they had to offer the increased benefits. I don't believe that is the case. Union employees work under an agreed upon contract that was negotiated by the union.
Disclaimer: I am not an employment lawyer.

Reactions: strongy

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Why was this offered to only non-union employees?
We don't know if these benefits will be offered to union employees. Negotiations haven't started yet.

You do get the only reason these benefits were added is the unionization effort, right? This isnt the benevolence of Apple
And yet, Apple has added benefits before the unionization effort. You're begging the question here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.