Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locomacg6

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2005
iT must be true

iThink is true...Apple Game Division must be true...they started with the iPod Thing, many user have a mac at home because of the iPod, and sounds reasonable that apple its gonna have his own game division, why dont u check out this page...u will see what apple is preparing :D

nek

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Canada
With PS3, XBOX2, and Nintendo all using (or will be using) PPC processors, maybe Apple could just make it easy for game developers to port console games to the Mac. And of course improving OpenGL and getting ATI and nVidia to make sure that their best, most current cards are always available for the Mac at the same time or earlier than for the PC.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
I think it would be a good decision for Apple to enter into the world of gaming. They have been successful in selling their iPods to the younger people and now they are going after what alot of them do, other than play music - play games.

If Apple could start up a good software division solely devoted to porting games to the Mac, it would take off. We do have great companies like Aspyr doing the work but remember, they are outside of Apple. Just imagine if there was a conglomeration of engineers working for Apple and Aspyr on a project. The results of the porting of the game would be marvelous. With Apple's excess revenue, they could fund the project all the way and produce 'da bomb'.

One the note regarding Apple producing it's own games - I think this would be suicide. The Mac user base as we know (and dread) is much lower that the Windows platform, They would be pouring millions into R&D that would not be able to re-coup. I say good porting of games that are proven to be great on the PC platform would be the go.

aussie_geek

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
aprilfools said:
Hope it doesnt happen! Games are a huge waste of time and are generally violent anyway. teaches kids the wrong things. Educational games maybe but still a huge waste of time. Is their a market for it? Probably. I'm sorry to say. Games may be entertaining to youth but still waste of time for everybody except for the people that design them. :mad: I hate to see Apple put resources into something like this. The day that happens Apple may as well come out and make a statement that they care more about a youth driven market than the real users that drive the economy.

Eh? Most gamers are adults. Anyway, everything is a waste of time when you come right down to it. I bet I'd consider most of your hobbies to be a waste of time by my standards.

--Eric

stutz

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2005
If....if there is any truth to this rumor, I would put my money on the fact that Apple has no intention of adding a game developing company just to pump out another first person shooter or RTS (there is too much competition out there already). Any games that come out would have to be true originals like Myst was (probably a connection to the Pixar empire).

It was amazing how Halo was almost single-handedly able to save the Xbox from failure. A original gem of a game for Apple similarly could act as catalyst for more gamers to switch over. Hopefully Apple is realizing the market for gamers is worth pursuing because these guys buy A LOT of hardware on a regular basis (and we all know that Apple makes their money on hardware sales, not software). Any game that was developed and published for the Mac by Apple would have to be exclusive. It could be used like a gateway drug for gamers and bait for regular PC users to realize that Windows is a piece of junk and that they can buy a Mac for all the other things they normally use Windows for. A Mac could be a great compliment to a console system. The game's main purpose wouldn't be to make money directly. Two of most popular Apple software programs are free (iTunes and Safari). It would serve as a public relations/promotional tool to expose more people to Apple's products.

I also agree with the fact that this is just further enforcing the fact that Apple IS starting to care about gaming. A buyout of a game development house would fit in with Apple's efforts to produce games for the iPod and the enormous amount of Open GL work that has gone into the OS recently (which Glenda Adams of Aspyr has said that they have been direct beneficiaries of regarding Doom 3).

Another thing, dont' think for a moment that a move like this isn't being considered in the whole broader range of Apple's products. This could be a step in getting the idea of a Mac home media center to work with the console market (probably Sony Playstation). A game development team division within Apple could serve as unique game developer and a resource for optimizing the OS to be more game friendly (or game porting friendly).

And those of you who say that the gaming market isn't important or doesn't matter on the Mac, you're wrong. More people are playing more games than ever. The demographic has exploded over the past 10 years. The gaming industry is on pace to kick the movie and music industry's butt when it comes to the bottom line. The ages range from the young playing FPS to an older crowd that plays online community games. Last year was probably the best year ever for Mac gaming. Aspyr released 26 titles alone!! And most of those were AAA.

I don't see Apple ever being the next EA; but moves like this (if it's true) are a great sign because it shows that Appple is planning on acquiring a larger market share. If the financial analysts are right, Apple will gain a much larger user base in the next couple of years and they will have to be prepared to meet the needs of those switchers who expect to have the gaming option open to them.

Stutz

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
Apple Game Group

I think Aspyr does a nice job with alot of mac games and one has to admire id and blizzard for at least giving mac time of day. Wow is a peace of art! Maybe what would be most beneficial is if Apple simply set up a division to take the latest and greatest games from any publisher who wants to put it on the mac and aid them in the platform port. Likewise, with Microsoft using the G5 chip for the Xenon ( new xbox) there is definately going to be an interest in development on the mac platform or at least current power architecture of IBM. If apple could entice devs to make the xbox version and a minimal change for a mac version that'd be alot of games!!!

Metropolis Man

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2005
C'mon admit it....who wouldn't want to see Steve-O demoing an ace FPS at WWDC? A little more exciting than a Spotlight demo, or a demo of iSight! And to the person above who feels Apple should start a gaming department just to get the ports out quicker I have mixed feelings. I'm more of a strategist player and not a FPS fan, and I hear Empire Earth and Galactic Civilizations are fantastic games, so yes, I would love these games to be ported. Quickly....my credit card is ready.

But, down the road, what I really want is more choice of OS X-only games. I could care less about Empire Earth and Galactic Civilizations if there were a comparable (or hopefully better) Mac-only game. It's basic psychology, right? You desire what you don't have.

Having a rock-solid Unix-based OS is fantastic. Never having to worry about viruses is Shweeeeet. But talk about your switcher-marketing strategy: killer Mac-only games.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Eric5h5 said:
Eh? Most gamers are adults. Anyway, everything is a waste of time when you come right down to it. I bet I'd consider most of your hobbies to be a waste of time by my standards.

--Eric

If more gamers are adults, then I'd only believe that on the fact that there are just more adults (18+) than kids. Ratio-wise, the kids win. I'm no longer in the kids bracket any longer (or even in the traditional college student age), and I've not had much time or interest in most games over the past several years. I've tried experimenting with different games and styles, but generally kept going back to the games I was playing 10-15 years ago.

But if aprilfools' post is serious, it seems pretty narrow, but it's just an opinion. I'd much rather play a game than watch TV. TV generally just feels like a waste of time to me...I sit there and don't accomplish anything. At least if I was chipping away at the number of games I own, I might feel like I'm doing something. But even still, I barely play games anymore. The last two games I played were Bosconian and Chessmaster 9000. But whatever makes a person happy in their spare time, I guess.

Another person mentioned that Apple is making most of their profit from hardware, but I remember seeing some reports on their hardware and software profits, and the software was also doing pretty well. Hey, look at Microsoft. They do very little hardware, but do a lot of software (surprise, surprise), and they have done fairly well for themselves.

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
So Microsoft buying Bungie = Bad.
Apple buying Blizzard = Good.

I see.

Actually, I wish Apple would buy (what's left of) Troika or Interplay... I want a proper Fallout 3!!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
nuckinfutz said:
Does anyone know who left Bungie for Wideload?

Ok Alex Seropian is the guy.

Here's quote from Bluesnews.org

CHICAGO, IL (APRIL 26, 2004) - Wideload Games, Inc. (http://www.wideload.com), unveiled itself to the world today as a new development studio dedicated to making hit video and computer games by injecting a unique blend of their visionary development model, creative gameplay and oddball humor into the computer and video games industry. Wideload was started by Alexander Seropian, industry veteran and founder of Bungie Studios of Halo, Myth and Marathon fame.

Wideload brings together some of the brightest talents in the videogame industry with a singular focus on creating original games with a new kind of production model. Wideload’s team designs and creates playable game prototypes in their Chicago lab. This focus on prototyping and pre-production eliminates many production risks as the team is able to see all of the technical and creative issues prior to going into full production. Once the prototype is approved, Wideload pulls together the best independent talent in the industry to complete the game’s production. The company will work with publishers and distributors to bring their final vision to gaming consumers.

“This is a variant of the model that’s been successful in film for quite some time,” says Seropian. “We develop the intellectual property and put together the technology and production pipeline in-house. Then we leverage our team to manage a staff of independent talent.” This combination of an internal design team coupled with external production teams gives Wideload the flexibility to have extremely thorough pre-production, prototypes of multiple titles at once, and scale for production efficiently. In addition, Wideload’s development model eliminates risk for Wideload partners by having a complete and proven plan before staffing production.

Wideload may be an unfamiliar name, but the company itself oozes a familiar blend of creativity and oddball humor that gamers around the world have loved for years now. Joining Seropian, who has built a successful and respected 13+-year career in the game industry, is a short list of former senior Bungie programmers, artists, and designers. Wideload's first title, a wildly innovative game powered by the Halo™ engine, is currently in production and expected to hit store shelves in 2005.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
No Original game developement.

I think it would be a mistake for Apple to blow money on a shot in the dark development of a game. I think it's way more likely that if Apple is truly wanting to bring gaming development in house it would be for game porting not original creation. The Apple community is not hurting for Apple original games we're hurting for good ports and more ports. If Apple could bring this in house it could truly give Mac gaming a shot in the arm. Also what Apple learns from doing it themselves would change future Apple operating systems and hardware forever. This would undoubtedly make it easier for 3rd party developers to port since Apple would figure out the stumbling blocks themselves and solve a lot of the problems.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
what games

We don't even know what this announcement means yet!

Game development group can mean anything. It could involve hardware, software.

In fact, it could mean anything BUT developing games.

It could, and most likely does, mean developing an environment that is more game friendly for developers.

I doubt that Apple would be interested in developing games themselves.

It would be like Apple commissioning music for iTunes.

It's not Apple's style.

Now Pixar, maybe.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think apple just needs to improve OpenGL performance, and make it easier for developers to port their games.

And if those ports are network enabled they have to be compatible with their windows counterpart.... gamers want to compete and show their talents, isolating the Mac gamers isn’t the way to go to prove the Mac is a viable gaming platform.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
MacBandit said:
I think it would be a mistake for Apple to blow money on a shot in the dark development of a game. I think it's way more likely that if Apple is truly wanting to bring gaming development in house it would be for game porting not original creation. The Apple community is not hurting for Apple original games we're hurting for good ports and more ports. If Apple could bring this in house it could truly give Mac gaming a shot in the arm. Also what Apple learns from doing it themselves would change future Apple operating systems and hardware forever. This would undoubtedly make it easier for 3rd party developers to port since Apple would figure out the stumbling blocks themselves and solve a lot of the problems.

Creating games themselves - no. But producing - yes. Providing game-dev. teams with resources is the way to go for Apple. Apple Games may become a publisher...

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Someone suggested that putting more good games on the Mac wouldn't be enough to entice switchers. I disagree, because I have friends who are hardcore gamers, and I know what they're like.

One friend would almost certainly go out and buy a PowerMac if there were one or two killer Mac-only games. Churn out a few quality games annually, and he'll be a customer for life. The FPS and RPG crowds will gladly buy an expensive machine for a single game or two.

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
szark said:
Just wanted to point this out for people who hadn't seen it:

[stuff a bout a WDDC session]

Supporting developers doesn't begin and end with having a freaking session at a conference. Its a start and part of the puzzle; but support is about SO much more.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Apple Games not such a bad idea.

I am warming to the idea of Apple Games. If Microsoft can do it why not Apple?

The kind of games Apple makes will most likely be suitable for all ages; I would be very surprised if they made something like Doom.

iChat integration would be a great feature for Apple games. Audio/Video chats could take place in-game. A feature like that would certainly make good use of the dual processors that Macs have featured for years.

choda_t

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2005
I think gaming on the Mac is one of the most compelling reasons for people not to switch from PC's. If Apple could have a computer that in everyway produces gaming that is just as good as a PC...it's a big mountain to climb though.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
Well, apple lost out on $1500 of my money by not having good games. When it came time to buy a new computer I went with a machine that played farcry, doom III, half-life 2, etc.

I still use my old mac for damn near everything else, but the lack of games is a problem. The average user could care less about mac's gfx superiority if they can't see anything tangible. Who cares if it renders faster?

Telling someone that mac's own gfx is hard to do with a $500 pc running HL2 sitting next to it. For 90% of the tech market graphics=games. Period. This is Apple's one serious fault. They do almost everything better, as we all know. But the lack of gaming is a MAJOR hurdle for many switchers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.