Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
This wouldn’t have been a problem if Apple had not solely relied on China. Apple had 3 years to move its assembly plant to India or other counties such as Vietnam But they didn’t take advantage of it back then. Now the demand is high and the supply is low. By the time Apple catches up with the supply. Rest assured, People will be waiting for the iPhone SE 2023 or iPhone 15 model.

So happy I Pre-ordered my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Loving it!!!
There will be no SE in 2023. Next SE is scheduled for 2024.

• Love
Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I don't want to veer too far off into politics, etc. but most believe Covid infection rates and deaths are vastly underreported in China. However, on the flip side, China has significantly higher vaccination rates than in the US. US vaccination rates aren't as good as some might believe. For example, I live in Canada and according to Johns Hopkins' data, 89% of the population in Canada has had at least one dose, whereas it's 81% in the US. In contrast, it's higher in China than both our countries, at 93%. Some may rightly argue that the Chinese vaccines are less effective, but a 93% vaccination rate with a less effective vaccine is still a significant benefit.

Anyhow, it's good to see Apple is truly starting to diversify its supply chain. It would also help if the local governments in the various countries would get their collective **** together to support this type of economic development, with proper infrastructure support, etc.

Regardless of what their actual death numbers are, it's undeniable that their vaccines don't work well and the population density is such that COVID even in its current form will absolutely overwhelm their current health care system. There are so many conspiracy theories running amok, but people are simply ignoring the realities of the situation. A lot of people will die or get incredibly ill over there, and in a country with that many people, the consequences will be disastrous.

But, back on topic: I have no doubt in my mind that Apple is using this as an excuse to disguise softening demand. Really convenient excuse. The whole world is spiraling into recession and Apple is not immune.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
China schmina. People need to open their eyes and pay attention to what‘s coming closer to home. Just y’all wait until your digital wallet and CBDC wont let you buy an iPhone unless you’ve been a good citizen. Lockdown pantomimes in China are the least of our worries.

Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Thanks for the laugh, The west are a bunch of cheap bastards and killed domestic manufacturing with their wallets and voting for politicians who told them what they want to hear.
You are oversimplifying a much more complex situation. The "hegemony" of the west does not come free. The outsourcing of the manufacturing was a way to pay for it. As the "hegemony" is coming to an end in front of our eyes you will also see manufacturing coming back to the US as well.

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Yawwwnn. Typical apple with these supply constraints same stories different year
Right – I remember minimum 2 to 3 times in the last 10 years and...
First ever. Which means this is a big deal.
at minimum 1 to 2 times accompanied by press release
Made in China is over.
Tim COOK should take action :apple:👍– of course he must leave a part of the production capacity in China for this home market and because of political reason, maybe 30%
As long as the ones who are looking to buy order early, it really shouldn't be a big deal.
Delivery delay started much earlier in advance of this lock down at FOXCONN site – so other faults have been done up to now ;)

The first warning shoot was heard years ago about 2018/2019 at the period of Trumps toll measurements against China and the threat of being charged by import toll – remember, Tim COOK ?

Needs really to take strong actions to keep Apple in healthy conditions! ☝️

Last edited:

Torty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2013
People don’t want the non pro. now apple needs to change product lines from non pro to pro. But covid is to blame. reminds me of the 5C, no one wanted it.

Reactions: JM

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
There will be no SE in 2023. Next SE is scheduled for 2024.
Exactly.

Can’t get a new SE in Q1 when SE 2022 will only be 1 year old in March 2023.

No way Apple did SE 2022 just to cut it from the lineup 12 months later.

SE4 is Q1 2024 at the earliest, no sooner.

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
China is the only special country who shuts down because of covid anymore! Apple better produce their Pro's elsewhere or expect 4th quarter sales to drop like a rock.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
This is true of most US and European manufacturing. The short term pros outweighed the long term cons of having all your manufacturing in a totalitarian country but now the cons are coming. Everywhere has its problems but it's past time to divest from China and their problems. Easier said than done....

And China trying CV19 lockdowns after so much data shows the futility and damage they did to the countries who engaged in them. Devastating impacts on education and economy with unproven benefit on saving lives....I dont understand what data they are relying on that motivates a failed intervention.
The CCP zero-Covid mandate is a cover for a much broader reorganization of the economy and a brutal dismantling of private businesses who dared to stray too far from Marxist ideals. We are witnessing the beginnings of a what will eventually be equivalent to Mao’s Cultural Revolution in the 1960s. Apple will not be spared.

Reactions: Rob1547

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Ordered my 14 PM from my carrier two weeks after the launch date. It came a week earlier than planned.

Sounds selfish, but I got mine. :p

NotSorry

Reactions: Menneisyys2 and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Ordered my 14 PM from my carrier two weeks after the launch date. It came a week earlier than planned.

Sounds selfish, but I got mine. :p

NotSorry
Me too. Ordered from Verizon on October 11th and it got here in two days.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
more like "lack of reason to upgrade to $1000 phones"

I suspect this is the final nail in the coffin for SCM in China. I can bet you Apple is working hard behind the scenes to get out of China before the end of the decade. Its likely Tim’s one final act before he retires from Apple. He is being diplomatic about it and doing so cautiously as to not upset China. Also, a lot of the components required to assemble an iPhone are still being built there. Until the who SCM can be migrated to India and Vietnam, it will take a while. It makes sense too, China is actually becoming costly to do business not just because of the lock downs, but so many are now lifted out of poverty into middle class status. This leads to higher cost to hire workers to this kind of vocational skill. So, spreading some of that prosperity to India is indeed the right thing. Also, have a backup plan for India too. Africa has a very young population.

I do not understand why it has to be in Southeast Asia. They could like diversify into Mexico or Brazil for North America, India/Vietnam/Malaysia for Asia, and maybe Egypt for Africa and Europe. I mean even if they take the whole plant and put it in South America the labour is cheaper and close to Apple HQ than traveling half way around the world to China back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.