Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I’m sure Cook is glad he can blame poor sales on China’s factory shutdown and not because of almost non-existent innovation.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Agreed! I honestly believe Apple took too long. They had enough time and a chance to move out. We're not about to wait 10 years for a transition over here.

Lots of people commenting here seem to really like the idea of Apple moving production out of China.

Apple might not want to leave China at all! China is great for Apple business! China is reliable. China is where most electronics components are produced! China is committed to future technology development.

I'm betting that only a few have ever travelled anywhere in China.

What does that mean? Not much really, but I do find that it is so easy for people to jump on a negative bandwagon.

They start throwing negative words like "CCP" around, and talking like they actually know something.

Again - what does it mean when armchair quarterbacks start pushing bogus opinions so hard?

Apple could indeed diversify production, but all this anti-China talk is really bad.

Apple and China work well together.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
more like "lack of reason to upgrade to $1000 phones"

I do not understand why it has to be in Southeast Asia. They could like diversify into Mexico or Brazil for North America, India/Vietnam/Malaysia for Asia, and maybe Egypt for Africa and Europe. I mean even if they take the whole plant and put it in South America the labour is cheaper and close to Apple HQ than traveling half way around the world to China back and forth.
Thats actually it should have been done, but we all know how corporations work.

Reactions: MacBH928

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
The issue of putting almost all manufacturing in China by Apple was addressed years ago to no avail. It wasn't until CoV hit did it truly sunk into Apple that it has to diversify its manufacturing base.
But that's easier said than done. It's not just the Foxconn factory itself but the whole infrastructure around it that many people miss. It took over 10 yrs for the surrounding companies to be built to support that factory. Now imagine the surrounding area also built to house the workers and the support infrastructure for that.
The growing Chinese wages put pressure on Apple but it didn't matter as Apple just passed the increase along to the consumers in higher product prices hence the 'Apple Tax'.
The move to India was mainly to reduce the import tax for the locals. Now it's ramping up to help exports.
India is still closer to China so shipping charges should be less and less time involved than shipping overseas if Apple were to consider anywhere in South America to build a factory.
People keep saying 'Bring business back to the US!' without even thinking much of what has to be done to do that... infrastructure including support. Apple would have to negotiate with states/towns to get valuable real estate for less and for tax incentives on various things like local jobs, property taxes, city/state taxes, etc... The workers need to be educated. Unfortunately, lots of Americans still don't want to work and don't want to work in factories.
This issue has been discussed umpteenth times almost everywhere esp. many business related journals and websites.
But that's beyond the scope of this thread.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
more like "lack of reason to upgrade to $1000 phones"

I do not understand why it has to be in Southeast Asia. They could like diversify into Mexico or Brazil for North America, India/Vietnam/Malaysia for Asia, and maybe Egypt for Africa and Europe. I mean even if they take the whole plant and put it in South America the labour is cheaper and close to Apple HQ than traveling half way around the world to China back and forth.
The Foxxcon iPhone “factory” in China has over 200K employees. Think about that for a minute. Where else in the world could that level of effort be marshaled at a reasonable cost (from Apple‘s POV)? What Apple and Foxxcon created in China is unique to that culture, and now that dependency is biting them in the ass.

Mojohanna32

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
This wouldn’t have been a problem if Apple had not solely relied on China. Apple had 3 years to move its assembly plant to India or other counties such as Vietnam But they didn’t take advantage of it back then. Now the demand is high and the supply is low. By the time Apple catches up with the supply. Rest assured, People will be waiting for the iPhone SE 2023 or iPhone 15 model.

So happy I Pre-ordered my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Loving it!!!
Not so easy to up and move this much volume during a pandemic. You can't easily establish the supply chain in those other contries in such a short amount of time.

Reactions: Tagbert

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Was looking at the Apple site a few days ago and say an iPhone 14PM Black 256GB available at the local store. Almost immediately bought it and went in the next day to pick it up. Talking to the sales folks, each day they get deliveries. They often have no idea what is included in the shipment.
If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can probably , eventually, find what you are looking for.

BTW, just checked and the local store has the non-pro models available for immediate pickup.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Lots of people commenting here seem to really like the idea of Apple moving production out of China.

Apple might not want to leave China at all! China is great for Apple business! China is reliable. China is where most electronics components are produced! China is committed to future technology development.

I'm betting that only a few have ever travelled anywhere in China - maybe only 20% of the people posting have a passport!

What does that mean? Not much really, but I do find that it is so easy for people to jump on a hate bandwagon.

They start throwing negative words like "CCP" around, and talking like they actually know something, but in reality they might (likely) have a narrow world view.

Again - what does it mean when armchair quarterbacks start pushing bogus opinions so hard?

Apple could indeed diversify production, but all this anti-China talk is really bad.
Welcome to Social Media.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
China is the only special country who shuts down because of covid anymore! Apple better produce their Pro's elsewhere or expect 4th quarter sales to drop like a rock.
WARNING: non Mac/Apple data here.

What people don’t realize is that at this point in Covid history, China has basically 1.3 BILLION people who have ZERO vaccination status or defenses against the virus. Their non-MRNA vaccine rolled out nearly two years ago, and by mid last year had shown to have less efficacy for stopping infection than the JNJ vaccine which was 4% after 120 days. They never did another vaccination campaign and this was all before DELTA and OMICRON and BA5, etc, all of which were much more contagious and even more virulent for a non-vaccinated or naturally infected person.

So at this point, without conceding failure and still having circulating virus globally (and now surging) they have no other option than to shut things down if there is ANY indication of infection.

It’s a failed policy for sure, but until/unless they start a new campaign, or decide to just let it rip (which would more than cripple their medical infrastructure) they have only this one blunt tool in the toolbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013

I'm betting that only a few have ever travelled anywhere in China - maybe only 20% of the people posting have a passport!

What does that mean? Not much really, but I do find that it is so easy for people to jump on a hate bandwagon.

They start throwing negative words like "CCP" around, and talking like they actually know something, but in reality they might (likely) have a narrow world view.

China is reliable in shutting down everytime there is a covid outbreak.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
Apple is terribly exposed to manufacturing disruptions in China. Covid is the tip of the iceberg. Wait for the coming crisis and possibly war over Taiwan. One of Tim's biggest mistakes was allowing the China exposure to worsen. He does not have much of a contingency plan. In the meantime, President Xi can virtually shut Apple down tomorrow if he wishes.

If you're talking about TSMC, i don't think you understand what you're talking about.

It's not going to be an "Apple's" problem, if things go south it's going to be something worth a global war.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
WARNING: non Mac/Apple data here.

What people don’t realize is that at this point in Covid history, China has basically 1.3 BILLION people who have ZERO vaccination status or defenses against the virus. Their non-MRNA vaccine rolled out nearly two years ago, and by mid last year had shown to have less efficacy for stopping infection than the JNJ vaccine which was 4% after 120 days. They never did another vaccination campaign and this was all before DELTA and OMICRON and BA5, etc, all of which were much more contagious and even more virulent for a non-vaccinated or naturally infected person.

So at this point, without conceding failure and still having circulating virus globally (and now surging) they have no other option than to shut things down if there is ANY indication of infection.

It’s a failed policy for sure, but until/unless they start a new campaign, or decide to just let it rip (which would more than cripple their medical infrastructure) they have only this one blunt tool in the toolbox.

The Chinese population was given the Chinese CoV vaccines "... Sinopharm and Sinovac. But their efficacy was found to be much lower than the mRNA shots, and studies suggest the immunity provided by the Chinese vaccines wanes rapidly."
- CNN, 12/2021

China was offered the mRNA vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna but it would only accept it if Pfizer and Moderna provided their respective company's secrets on how to produce their vaccines. Because of that, Pfizer and Moderna backed out as they weren't going to do that.
The Chinese govt had a lot of nerve asking for that information on the condition to accept the 2 mRNA CoV vaccines.

That's what it's like doing business in China for many foreign businesses.. be willing to provide some company's secrets, if asked, which is why many companies are hesitant to do business there as that's been known for years.

Remember that Apple had to store data servers of its Chinese customers inside China which is accessible by the Chinese govt. Apple would never do that for any other govt like the American govt.

www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/technology/apple-china-censorship-data.html

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
The Chinese population was given the Chinese CoV vaccines "... Sinopharm and Sinovac. But their efficacy was found to be much lower than the mRNA shots, and studies suggest the immunity provided by the Chinese vaccines wanes rapidly."
- CNN, 12/2021

China was offered the mRNA vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna but it would only accept it if Pfizer and Moderna provided their respective company's secrets on how to produce their vaccines. Because of that, Pfizer and Moderna backed out as they weren't going to do that.
The Chinese govt had a lot of nerve asking for that information on the condition to accept the 2 mRNA CoV vaccines.

That's what it's like doing business in China for many foreign businesses.. be willing to provide some company's secrets, if asked, which is why many companies are hesitant to do business there as that's been known for years.

Remember that Apple had to store data servers of its Chinese customers inside China which is accessible by the Chinese govt. Apple would never do that for any other govt like the American govt.

www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/technology/apple-china-censorship-data.html
My understanding from ‘friends’ at state is that we offered China 1 B doses of UNUSED mRNA vaccine with no detail of the production requirements or engineering, but they declined. I don’t know what it is we asked for in return, but they declined.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
My understanding from ‘friends’ at state is that we offered China 1 B doses of UNUSED mRNA vaccine with no detail of the production requirements or engineering, but they declined. I don’t know what it is we asked for in return, but they declined.
There are some media reports that said that the Chinese govt demanded that Pfizer and Moderna give up their mRNA secrets if China was to accept the vaccines from them such as...

"One individual close to the Moderna team in Greater China said the company had “given up” on its previous efforts to access the Chinese market, because of Beijing’s demand that it hand over the technology as a prerequisite for selling into the country."

www.ft.com/content/a481c129-c5aa-4972-84a8-3a45bb000098

China's Zero CoV policy is ridiculous. Have friends and family in China/HK who says life there is more difficult because of the continual shutdowns.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
There are some media reports that said that the Chinese govt demanded that Pfizer and Moderna give up their mRNA secrets if China was to accept the vaccines from them such as...

"One individual close to the Moderna team in Greater China said the company had “given up” on its previous efforts to access the Chinese market, because of Beijing’s demand that it hand over the technology as a prerequisite for selling into the country."

www.ft.com/content/a481c129-c5aa-4972-84a8-3a45bb000098

China's Zero CoV policy is ridiculous. Have friends and family in China/HK who says life there is more difficult because of the continual shutdowns.
I think we’re talking past each other at this point, back to iphone 14 PM numbers.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
What?!!! The COVID crisis didn't exist merely 3 years ago. How do you expect this should have "seen this coming"?
Maybe I should have been more clear— what Apple should have seen coming is the problem of having almost all of their manufacturing in country run by a hyper-totalitarian Communist government, run by the most draconian dictator since Mao, Xi Jinping, who was a mass-murderer even before Covid.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Historically, US passport holders were quite low, pre 2000 it was near 10% (which is RIDONCULOUS!) when I lived abroad in the late 80’s it was 3%… then post 911 state required passports for canada, Mexico and CARIBBEAN travel (so not just a valid drivers license), which pushed the numbers up significantly as most cruises would require a valid US passport even for embarkation from the mainland.

As for POSTING on THIS forum, I’m going to say we’re probably closer to 40% passport holders.. the numbers skew heavily with AGE, political persuasion and HOUSEHOLD INCOME..

Once one gets above about $50K a year in income, the % of US citizens with passports gets closer to 50%.. So I’m guessing that MR has a slightly higher avg income than other forums. Could be wrong, but I think it’s going to be higher than the average internet user.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Everybody chimeing in ‘Apple should have, Could have, would have’. Apple knows their game plan
Bottom Line: If you want a 14 Pro or Pro Max for the holidays order now !!!

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Everybody chimeing in ‘Apple should have, Could have, would have’. Apple knows their game plan
Bottom Line: If you want a 14 Pro or Pro Max for the holidays order now !!!
LOL. My advice is: better get the iPhone 14 Pro which could be the last iPhone if China invades Taiwan next year

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
Maybe I should have been more clear— what Apple should have seen coming is the problem of having almost all of their manufacturing in country run by a hyper-totalitarian Communist government, run by the most draconian dictator since Mao, Xi Jinping, who was a mass-murderer even before Covid.
Thanks for clarifying, and even more thanks for being kind in your clarification.

Reactions: transpo1

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
The iPhone 14 series was just launched a few days ago in my country, and despite the highly marked up prices over the US MSRP, people were literally lining up to buy them in droves. Amazing. Kinda confirms my thought that Apple’s segment is not too affected by economic events.
People buy stuff they can’t afford. Prices didn’t skyrocket. Wish the starting iPhone would have a price of $2,500. Then we’ll see how many people have one.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
We’ve been living with these COVID excuses for three years now. It’s old and unacceptable.
What excuses!? China is trying to use an ineffective home-grown vaccine and their take up rate is low. They are having large scale Covid outbreaks at some of the factories and have shut down those factories.

How is that an “excuse”?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.