Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
As someone who is mixed with black and white, it is honestly upsetting so many have such negative comments on this thread. Stop looking at things that everything showing representation is "identity politics", seriously what is wrong with being able to buy bands or have a wallpaper that just represent African Americans? Do you get mad over Cancer Awareness colors? LGBTQ colors? What if Apple released an American Flag style band? would that be considered Identity politics then? I feel like those who have a problem with this band need a reality check and not everything is "Woke". Want to feel more represented then shoot emails to Apple encouraging more band options, but do not try to limit or desire limit to others because you are well..excuse me but butthurt.
Apple releases various country bands for the Olympics every four years and I've never seen someone complain, other than if their country didn't get a watch band released. You don't see people from Japan complaining that Apple released a band the correlates to the French flag, etc.

That's how you know it's just plain racism. It's a shame you have to see hate on just about any corner of the internet...

Aug 30, 2022
Apple releases various country bands for the Olympics every four years and I've never seen someone complain, other than if their country didn't get a watch band released. You don't see people from Japan complaining that Apple released a band the correlates to the French flag, etc.

That's how you know it's just plain racism. It's a shame you have to see hate on just about any corner of the internet...
So when you prefer to stay neutral means you’re a racist? Whatever. Lol.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Relax, take it easy. No one is trying to limit you.

I feel like those who have a problem with other people having different opinions need a reality check.
Not limit me, limit companies that can do what they want, and relax and take it easy? Nah I am good. To see so much hate over a band color and a wallpaper is concerning. Literally two things that will not affect 99% of people, but to the 1% that will be excited to spend their money on what they want and use the new wallpaper it could mean a lot. I do not feel limited, but the people who feel this should be gone and removed from Apples choices are.

• Love
Reactions: rettro and CarlJ

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Relax, take it easy. No one is trying to limit you.

I feel like those who have a problem with other people having different opinions need a reality check.
When someone else's opinion is that different races shouldn't mix, or that homosexuals should be put to death because "the Bible tells me so", etc, etc. my "fight" or "flight" response gets automatically triggered.

And I have successfully learned to suppress my "flight" response and constantly train to enhance the other one.

A difference of opinion can and does lead to political power, and political power can and has led to murder and genocide.

So yes, opinions matter.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
The "Unity Lights" analog watch face is really cool but I wish they'd rename it to "Lights" and have "Unity" be one of many color options for it. I really like it.

The rest of these designs are... conspicuously ugly.

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
I mean, when you take the time out of your day to complain about something specifically created to recognize/support Black History Month for no other reason than to say it's "identity" politics and whatnot... I know this may be shocking, but Gerald Ford, a Republican, is the first President to officially recognize Black History Month.

What's the point in complaining if something is not relevant to you? You could just go about your day. 😂

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Yeah I noticed that apple say they are all about diversity but at the same time only put one group of people in promo videos
Did you notice that when for the previous 20 odd years everybody else had been majority white? I think its mental thing really. No one notices when everything is white, but when something becomes other than white its not normal. So why was it normal when it was all white? I dont get it...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Everything isn't for you. You don't have to buy it. 😂

That's like a rap fan complaining about a country music artist releasing tour merch or something that they will never buy at a concert they would never go to.

Nothing is wrong with them releasing products/accessories for a specific group of people. That's the beauty of choice.
"But if I don't want something, obviously neither does anyone else, and the company trying to sell it is obviously trying to exclude me!"

I wonder if that poster complains that companies make clothes for women? For children? For men older than him? For men younger than him? For men taller? Shorter? Heavier? Skinner?

Obviously companies should only make the exact items he wants, and no other items.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
"Woke" does not mean what you all think it means. You're using it as if it's a synonym for "black" (or maybe "liberal") when it really basically means "don't get caught slipping" in the context of AAVE. It sounds ridiculous in the context of your usage.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Neutral is not caring, not having hateful comments on here about some colors. Neutral is seeing something release and going "okay" and just not buying it because you don't want it. Not claiming things are woke, that a color scheme is politics, it is literally staying neutral and not caring. They are not giving them away for free, they are not hammering down anyone's throats, it is a new design for the upcoming month and if you want it you get it and if you don't you go about your life because it doesn't affect you and any sort of way besides the literal few you may see out in your life

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I don't see what the issue is with a company raising awareness around societal issues. You're not automatically racist if you have an issue with that, but what's it to you if they do???

If Apple does business in China everybody complains they're hypocrites, if they raise awareness around a specific community, they're hypocrites, if they list their environmental efforts, they're hypocrites... they can't do anything right.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I don’t know identity politics from Adam, but if I had a company that could make a few extra bucks by exploiting the modern trends of a part of my consumer base, I’d develop, package, and sell the heck out of identity.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
First, I’ve never said I don’t like the band(s). Secondly, I never said that I’m opposed to anything. Third, lots of people will recognize the loop band and assume that your wearing it to make a political statement. I just don’t like that idea very much. I prefer to stay neutral.

Please don’t put words in my mouth that I haven’t said.

Thank you.
I'm really confused. Staying neutral in this sitaution would be saying nothing. Instead you've made several posts suggesting you think these watch straps are bad things, and then got huffy when questioned what the issue is.

I didn't put any words into your mouth whatsoever. My entire post was prefaced with "if", based on you saying you're sad you "can't" buy these watch straps. If you don't like the idea of people thinking you're making a political statement, then don't buy the bands? I honestly don't get what the issue is. You're saying you would buy one of these if they didn't carry the connotation of being anti-racist?

Fruit Stand

Suspended
Apr 25, 2016
YYZ
I thought this was a military camouflage before reading the article at first and was like REALLY awful timing with the war in Ukraine

But if it was released with any other war in any other country taking place that would have been okay?

Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan to name a few that most of the world didn’t care for like Ukraine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.