Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Hi I know Apple discontinued the MagSafe battery pack, there are sellers offering it. I know what the use is for, basically to keep your battery at let’s say 90% until the battery pack dies.

I’m wanting to use this for my 15 pro.

If anyone has one would like to hear your experience. Thanks!

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Love mine. Use it for city trips. I know you should attach it in the morning but I do when I hit 10-20%. Last Sunday I streamed NFL Redzone and it charged my phone just fine without overheating.

But I don’t need every juice from this pack. Usually 10-30% is enough on long days

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Love mine. Use it for city trips. I know you should attach it in the morning but I do when I hit 10-20%. Last Sunday I streamed NFL Redzone and it charged my phone just fine without overheating.

But I don’t need every juice from this pack. Usually 10-30% is enough on long days

It’s meant to be an extender not a charger. Was it able to maintain your iPhone battery? And how long was it until the MagSafe died?

Reactions: Hansana

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
I have one as well. I've recommended it to many posters here. I use is occasionally for my 13 Mini & it hasn't let me me down yet. I'll put it on if I know I'll have a long day out, without access to an outlet. I tend to put mine on while my battery still has plenty of juice & just let it use the pack up first.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It’s meant to be an extender not a charger. Was it able to maintain your iPhone battery? And how long was it until the MagSafe died?
I usually use my MagSafe battery pack when my 13’s charge reaches 30%… it’ll bring it up to 80-90% charge before running flat.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I usually use my MagSafe battery pack when my 13’s charge reaches 30%… it’ll bring it up to 80-90% charge before running flat.

Ok the way I would use it is put on when iPhone is at 100% and let the MagSafe die out so I’ll be able to maintain about 100% for a while. For my usage I might need 2.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I love mine and actually it gives double charging possibilities now since I can charge with Lightning or usb c when on the go with my 15 PM.

Reactions: musicman0725

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Ok the way I would use it is put on when iPhone is at 100% and let the MagSafe die out so I’ll be able to maintain about 100% for a while. For my usage I might need 2.
No. If you do that then you’ll have it on all day and your phone will be bulky and huge. If you drain your phone until it’s at 30%, the battery pack goes on for 1.5 hours and then you can remove it once the charge runs out.

Jussy13

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
Hi I know Apple discontinued the MagSafe battery pack, there are sellers offering it. I know what the use is for, basically to keep your battery at let’s say 90% until the battery pack dies.

I’m wanting to use this for my 15 pro.

If anyone has one would like to hear your experience. Thanks!
will gladly give feedback! I have been using one on my 12pro for year and half now. Some days I use it and some days I don't. On the days that I use it, I put it on while my phone is still at 100%. Once my phone hits 89%itll bring it up to 91% and hold it there. It will continue this behavior throughout the day until the pack is depleted. Be warned, if it's hot outside or the phone gets hot bc of use it will put charging on hold.

All the magsafe battery pack is, really is a new aged smart battery case. But also, use a 20w charger and plug it into the magsafe pack and set your phone on it and you get wireless fast charging to the phone.

Reactions: andresandiego

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
If you are looking for an alternative while Apple (hopefully) bring out the USB-C version, I picked up an Anker Nano Powerbank which is USB-C and is 5,000 maH from memory. It perfect for topping up during the day. I think they are about £25 on Amazon.

Jussy13

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
To the OP, I'd rather buy a discounted magsafe apple pack bc of the software integration and seeing the battery level and not having to push a button to turn it off and on.

Reactions: xxBlack

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I recently bought the following third-party MagSafe power bank: https://www.temu.com/g-601099521137325.html
It has much higher capacity than the Apple battery pack at a fraction of the cost, but is also much bulkier. It is regular-iPhone-sized, not mini-sized like Apple’s (but nevertheless works on a mini). So far it is working well.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
To the OP, I'd rather buy a discounted magsafe apple pack bc of the software integration and seeing the battery level and not having to push a button to turn it off and on.

Yea I would have to get a lightning to USB-C adapter.

WishyWashyUK

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2021
I love mine - when at home it just acts as a MagSafe charger but I can then grab it and take it for long days out. Used it on my summer holiday when out for days taking loads of photos and regularly using maps etc. I used it as you described OP, kept my previous 14 PM topped up all morning at around 100% and eventually died around early afternoon, then I was fine with the phone battery for the rest of the day until about 8pm maybe?

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I love mine - when at home it just acts as a MagSafe charger but I can then grab it and take it for long days out. Used it on my summer holiday when out for days taking loads of photos and regularly using maps etc. I used it as you described OP, kept my previous 14 PM topped up all morning at around 100% and eventually died around early afternoon, then I was fine with the phone battery for the rest of the day until about 8pm maybe?

Thanks!

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
When you are charging the phone with a USB C cable and stick the MagSafe battery
The phone can actually charge the MagSafe battery pack after your phone is charged
And of course the other way around which makes it versatile! Both ports can charge both devices.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I love mine and actually it gives double charging possibilities now since I can charge with Lightning or usb c when on the go with my 15 PM.
It would be amusing to see someone put a lightning model on a 15PM and connect the cable.

“It runs forever!”

:D

-

• Haha
Reactions: kc9hzn

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

How would the discontinued version work with a lightning to USB-C adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.