Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
There already some very good 3rd party battery packs with usb C
They generally don’t work the same way, though. Apple’s battery packs are intended to stay connected to the phone, and the phone just sips on the power instead of using its battery. While a third party battery case is intended to charge the phone.

Considering that I’ll have an investment in Lightning for the foreseeable future (my AirPods case, though it also supports MagSafe, my work phone, which also supports MagSafe, my AirPods Max, my Apple TV remote, a USB C power bank I own that supports both Lightning and USB-C), I do plan on trying to pick up one of these power banks next payday.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
They generally don’t work the same way, though. Apple’s battery packs are intended to stay connected to the phone, and the phone just sips on the power instead of using its battery. While a third party battery case is intended to charge the phone.

Considering that I’ll have an investment in Lightning for the foreseeable future (my AirPods case, though it also supports MagSafe, my work phone, which also supports MagSafe, my AirPods Max, my Apple TV remote, a USB C power bank I own that supports both Lightning and USB-C), I do plan on trying to pick up one of these power banks next payday.

Knowing that Apple discontinued the MagSafe do you think it would be harmful to the 15 pro battery?

I completely understand the purpose of the Apple MagSafe vs 3rd party. You really can’t put the Apple one and the same category.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Knowing that Apple discontinued the MagSafe do you think it would be harmful to the 15 pro battery?

I completely understand the purpose of the Apple MagSafe vs 3rd party. You really can’t put the Apple one and the same category.
I’d expect the software support to remain, if just for people who already own one to be able to use it with their new phones. Besides, my work phone is an iPhone 13, so it would still work for it even if it’s not supported by the 15 Pro.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I’d expect the software support to remain, if just for people who already own one to be able to use it with their new phones. Besides, my work phone is an iPhone 13, so it would still work for it even if it’s not supported by the 15 Pro.

If you had a 15pro would you buy the discontinued one or wait for the new version?

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
If you had a 15pro would you buy the discontinued one or wait for the new version?
Well, I don’t yet have a 15 Pro, but I’ve ordered one and it’s on the way. Since we don’t have official word yet on a USB-C replacement and I’ve already got this investment in Lightning gear that necessitates leaving a Lightning cable plugged in for the foreseeable future, I think I’d buy now if I can find an authentic one.

Reactions: Andeddu

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Buy the lightning one. You don’t need a cable. Just slap it on the back and connect a usb c cable to your iPhone. It will charge your iPhone and battery pack.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Buy the lightning one. You don’t need a cable. Just slap it on the back and connect a usb c cable to your iPhone. It will charge your iPhone and battery pack.
This is how I use it. Works well.

if you need two, then I’d suggest you just get a large 10,000mah pack and charge via usb c. You’ll get more charge and you’ll be carrying something extra anyway in both scenarios.

WishyWashyUK

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2021
How would the discontinued version work with a lightning to USB-C adapter?

Not quite sure what you mean, sorry! Are you thinking of using the iPhone 15 usb c to usb c cable and charging the MagSafe battery pack directly (via cable)? So you’d need an adapter to turn the USB C at the battery pack end into lightning?

(I just use my lightning cable for the battery pack - still need it for my AirPods etc)

Reactions: kc9hzn

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Not quite sure what you mean, sorry! Are you thinking of using the iPhone 15 usb c to usb c cable and charging the MagSafe battery pack directly (via cable)? So you’d need an adapter to turn the USB C at the battery pack end into lightning?

(I just use my lightning cable for the battery pack - still need it for my AirPods etc)

To be more clear. Apple discontinued the MagSafe for a reason. Since it’s discontinued will the MagSafe be still ok to use with my 15 pro? Will it damage it etc.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
To be more clear. Apple discontinued the MagSafe for a reason. Since it’s discontinued will the MagSafe be still ok to use with my 15 pro? Will it damage it etc.
That’s a categorical no. The MagSafe battery pack will not damage your iPhone 15.

The reason Apple have removed the battery pack from their store is that they are likely updating it with USB-C to fall in line with the rest of their new iPhone products.

WishyWashyUK

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2021
That’s a categorical no. The MagSafe battery pack will not damage your iPhone 15.

The reason Apple have removed the battery pack from their store is that they are likely updating it with USB-C to fall in line with the rest of their new iPhone products.
Agreed. They also discontinued the MagSafe Duo at the same time because they also have lightning connections. I’m pretty sure Apple would have warned for them not to be used with the new devices if there was any problem.

Reactions: Andeddu and kc9hzn

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

Yea I understand that. Will you be able to get those firmware updates on the discontinued one?

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Love mine. Use it for city trips. I know you should attach it in the morning but I do when I hit 10-20%. Last Sunday I streamed NFL Redzone and it charged my phone just fine without overheating.

But I don’t need every juice from this pack. Usually 10-30% is enough on long days

Ok got the MagSafe battery pack. Charged it slapped it on. How do I access it through iOS to see how much battery is left? Thanks!

Reactions: xxBlack

Jussy13

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
Ok got the MagSafe battery pack. Charged it slapped it on. How do I access it through iOS to see how much battery is left? Thanks!
The battery widget is where you can see how much juice is left in the pack. You'll have to create that widget and add it where ever you like

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
The battery widget is where you can see how much juice is left in the pack. You'll have to create that widget and add it where ever you like
Ok I don’t see any indication of showing battery life of the MagSafe in settings. Looked in battery in settings.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Want to report on the MagSafe battery pack so far.

Slapped it on 5:30am this morning with iPhone at 95% battery.

From 5:30am - 11:30am pretty heavy use watching YouTube mostly with some Reddit and Facebook.

By 11:30am MagSafe battery pack was at 6% and iPhone battery at 91%.

Normally by 9:30am my iPhone battery would be at about 40 - 45% then I would plug into my Anker 20,000.

What I like about the Apple MagSafe battery pack is how portable it is. With the combo fits into my work pants cell phone pocket. Can’t do that with the Anker.

Another thing that’s interesting is it seems to be “intelligent” meaning it knows when to sip from iPhone battery and not sip.

I was shocked that with my usage I have 91% iPhone battery because of the Apple MagSafe pack being small. But some have said it’s because of it’s “intelligence” etc.

So now I have a depleted Apple MagSafe battery packed being charged and have an iPhone at 91% and will continue with not as heavy usage and wondering what I can do to try to maintain. I’m not near power so I have to have portable power.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
After doing some more testing. The post above while I was eating lunch in the shop I charged my MagSafe battery pack. Time I was done it was 100%. My iPhone battery was at 68%. Slapped on the battery pack at around 2:30pm. Be using it heavy ever since and now the iPhone battery is at 90% and battery pack is at 29%.

Getting less usage then earlier. It’s because the battery pack charged iPhone from 68 to 90% then it maintains that. When I slapped it on this morning my iPhone was already at 95%.

The moral of the story is I’m think the battery pack will last longer if you’re at full charge or close to it because you don’t need a charge up then maintain.

Edit now I got a notification that charging will resume when iPhone returns to normal temperature.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Gave mine to the wife as I found it didn’t pack enough of a punch. I replaced it with the Anker 633 Magnetic Battery & I’ve never looked back. Yes, the Anker is heavy but, you get used to it & I can still fit in my pocket when attached to the 13 Pro Max.

One issue I had with the MagSafe Battery Pack (started after a few months) was that, for no apparent reason, it would stop charging the iPhone. Solution was to disconnect it, turn the iPhone off & on then reconnect it. Sometimes you had to do this several times. My wife is still seeing this issue with it.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Gave mine to the wife as I found it didn’t pack enough of a punch. I replaced it with the Anker 633 Magnetic Battery & I’ve never looked back. Yes, the Anker is heavy but, you get used to it & I can still fit in my pocket when attached to the 13 Pro Max.

One issue I had with the MagSafe Battery Pack (started after a few months) was that, for no apparent reason, it would stop charging the iPhone. Solution was to disconnect it, turn the iPhone off & on then reconnect it. Sometimes you had to do this several times. My wife is still seeing this issue with it.

I’ve have Anker 633 but IMO you can’t compare the likes of Anker 633 to the Apple.

This is my take on the Apple MagSafe battery pack. It’s not to recharge your iPhone. It’s designed to keep your iPhone at 90% until the battery pack is dead and then your iPhone is still at 90% and hopefully good for the rest of the day. It’s not a charging pack it’s a battery extension.

Where the Anker 633 is designed to charge your iPhone.

Yesterday was the first time I used the MagSafe. I slapped it on when my iPhone was about 95%. I used it pretty heavy starting at 5:30am. By 11:30am MagSafe was at 6% and my iPhone at 91%. The MagSafe and the iPhone didn’t get hot slightly warm. Since I was working overtime I still had 6 hours to go. So at 11:30 since this is the only time I’m near power, I charged the MagSafe with a 20W charger and the time I was done lunch the MagSafe was completely charged.

However during lunch I was using my iPhone heavy streaming and iPhone battery went from 91% to 65%.

When I slapped the MagSafe on it started charging iPhone to around 90%. This is when I started to realize the real purpose of the MagSafe. It’s designed to be slapped on when iPhone is fully charged or close to it like I did in the morning and to keep iPhone at 90’ish% until the MagSafe dies. Since I was near power at this time, I should have plugged in my iPhone into power outlet to maintain the 90% and when done lunch and going out in the field slapped on 100% charged MagSafe, I would have same results as in the morning.

The Anker I would use to recharge when I go to bed as IMO it’s not a battery extender like the MagSafe.

My “problem” is that I have a job that is “like a fireman”. When there’s nothing going on, there’s nothing going on and have lots of downtime. We are there to put out fires when it happens, otherwise downtown. Plus I’m in a work vehicle 90% of the day with no access to power. So I having portable power is a necessity and trying to find the best solution.

When I used the Anker 633 the same way as the MagSafe, both the Anker and iPhone would get hot and would get a warning message. When I use Anker as a recharging solution like charging iPhone without using it at the same time for a long period then it works good.

I look at the Anker 633 the same way as a power wall outlet. Where I look at the MagSafe as an iPhone battery extender.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.