Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Hi I know Apple discontinued the MagSafe battery pack, there are sellers offering it. I know what the use is for, basically to keep your battery at let’s say 90% until the battery pack dies.

I’m wanting to use this for my 15 pro.

If anyone has one would like to hear your experience. Thanks!
I do not see any need to have MagSafe battery pack since my phone rarely needs it. Apple made a right decision to discontinue it due to possibility of many people buying it -> low sales and gross profit performance than forecasted thresholds after some periods. Unless, you use your phone extensively causing very low battery before your daily activities are done, I do not see any need for it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
After doing some more testing. The post above while I was eating lunch in the shop I charged my MagSafe battery pack. Time I was done it was 100%. My iPhone battery was at 68%. Slapped on the battery pack at around 2:30pm. Be using it heavy ever since and now the iPhone battery is at 90% and battery pack is at 29%.

Getting less usage then earlier. It’s because the battery pack charged iPhone from 68 to 90% then it maintains that. When I slapped it on this morning my iPhone was already at 95%.

The moral of the story is I’m think the battery pack will last longer if you’re at full charge or close to it because you don’t need a charge up then maintain.

Edit now I got a notification that charging will resume when iPhone returns to normal temperature.
What you’re saying makes no logical sense. It doesn’t matter when you put on the MagSafe battery pack as it’ll charge your phone by same amount regardless.

If you put it on when you’re phone is at 90% it’ll be on for longer as it will charge your device slowly through the day as it is programmed not to charge above 90% battery life.

If you use your MagSafe charger when your battery life is at 30%, it’ll discharge faster because it will charge your device constantly until there is nothing left.

The bottom line is that, either way, it’ll charge your phone by the same amount.

The only difference is that by placing the charging pack on when your phone is fully charged, you’ll have it on for longer making your phone bulkier and heavier.

Reactions: andresandiego

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I do not see any need to have MagSafe battery pack since my phone rarely needs it. Apple made a right decision to discontinue it due to possibility of many people buying it -> low sales and gross profit performance than forecasted thresholds after some periods. Unless, you use your phone extensively causing very low battery before your daily activities are done, I do not see any need for it.

I’m such a heavy user that when I start using my iPhone at 5:30am by 9:30 my iPhone is usually at 40% battery from a full charge.

Reactions: boston04and07

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
What you’re saying makes no logical sense. It doesn’t matter when you put on the MagSafe battery pack as it’ll charge your phone by same amount regardless. If you put it on when you’re phone is at 90% it’ll be on your phone for longer as it will charge your phone slowly through the day as it it programmed not to charge your phone above 90%.

If you use your MagSafe charger when your battery life is at 30%, it’ll discharge faster because it will charge your device constantly until there is nothing left.

The bottom line is that, either way, it charged your phone by the same amount.

The only difference is that by placing the charging pack on when your phone is fully charged, you’ll have it on for longer making your phone bulkier and heavier.

Yes it is bulkier and heavier but it isn’t that bad. The combo fits into my work pants cell phone pocket great and doesn’t feel heavy.

I feel that if your iPhone is at 30% and slap on the MagSafe, the MagSafe will die out quicker vs slapping it on when iPhone is at 90%.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yes it is bulkier and heavier but it isn’t that bad. The combo fits into my work pants cell phone pocket great and doesn’t feel heavy.

I feel that if your iPhone is at 30% and slap on the MagSafe, the MagSafe will die out quicker vs slapping it on when iPhone is at 90%.
My point is that it doesn’t matter when you put it on. If you have 100%, 90%, 30% or 10% battery life, the MagSafe battery pack charges your phone by the same exact same amount each time.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

That’s not true though. It charges your phone by the same amount, it is just attached to your phone for less time which might make it seem like it’s running out of charge quicker. I genuinely don’t see what’s so difficult to understand.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
My point is that it doesn’t matter when you put it on. If you have 100%, 90%, 30% or 10% battery life, the MagSafe battery pack charges your phone by the same exact same amount each time.

From my experience yesterday that wasn’t the case but will be testing it again.

I noticed when I slapped on the MagSafe when my iPhone battery was at 65% it started charging my iPhone until it reached 90%. I noticed as it was doing this it was using more power from 65-90%.

How do I know this? I was looking at the battery widget and MagSafe battery % as it was charging iPhone to 90%. When my iPhone was at 90% and I slapped on MagSafe, the MagSafe battery % was much better for same period of time.

From doing some research I think it’s the firmware and “how intelligent” the MagSafe interacts with the iPhone.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
From my experience yesterday that wasn’t the case but will be testing it again.

I noticed when I slapped on the MagSafe when my iPhone battery was at 65% it started charging my iPhone until it reached 90%. I noticed as it was doing this it was using more power from 65-90%.
You cannot create extra charge from nothing.

If you use your battery pack at 90% and then deplete it before running down your phone battery to zero, it’ll be the same as running your phone battery from 90% to 30% and thereafter using and depleting the MagSafe battery pack before running the phone charge down to zero.

You’ll get the same screen on time either way.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

If you use your battery pack at 90% and then deplete it before running down your phone battery to zero, it’ll be the same as running your phone battery from 90% to 30% and thereafter using and depleting the MagSafe battery pack before running the phone charge down to zero.

Wasn’t my experience.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I’ve have Anker 633 but IMO you can’t compare the likes of Anker 633 to the Apple.

This is my take on the Apple MagSafe battery pack. It’s not to recharge your iPhone. It’s designed to keep your iPhone at 90% until the battery pack is dead and then your iPhone is still at 90% and hopefully good for the rest of the day. It’s not a charging pack it’s a battery extension.

Where the Anker 633 is designed to charge your iPhone.

Yesterday was the first time I used the MagSafe. I slapped it on when my iPhone was about 95%. I used it pretty heavy starting at 5:30am. By 11:30am MagSafe was at 6% and my iPhone at 91%. The MagSafe and the iPhone didn’t get hot slightly warm. Since I was working overtime I still had 6 hours to go. So at 11:30 since this is the only time I’m near power, I charged the MagSafe with a 20W charger and the time I was done lunch the MagSafe was completely charged.

However during lunch I was using my iPhone heavy streaming and iPhone battery went from 91% to 65%.

When I slapped the MagSafe on it started charging iPhone to around 90%. This is when I started to realize the real purpose of the MagSafe. It’s designed to be slapped on when iPhone is fully charged or close to it like I did in the morning and to keep iPhone at 90’ish% until the MagSafe dies. Since I was near power at this time, I should have plugged in my iPhone into power outlet to maintain the 90% and when done lunch and going out in the field slapped on 100% charged MagSafe, I would have same results as in the morning.

The Anker I would use to recharge when I go to bed as IMO it’s not a battery extender like the MagSafe.

My “problem” is that I have a job that is “like a fireman”. When there’s nothing going on, there’s nothing going on and have lots of downtime. We are there to put out fires when it happens, otherwise downtown. Plus I’m in a work vehicle 90% of the day with no access to power. So I having portable power is a necessity and trying to find the best solution.

When I used the Anker 633 the same way as the MagSafe, both the Anker and iPhone would get hot and would get a warning message. When I use Anker as a recharging solution like charging iPhone without using it at the same time for a long period then it works good.

I look at the Anker 633 the same way as a power wall outlet. Where I look at the MagSafe as an iPhone battery extender.
I get what the MagSafe Battery packs purpose is but, the problem for me is that it doesn’t extend it enough; I was still having to resort to other methods - carrying an additional power bank.

The Anker 633 is more or less permanently attached to my iPhone. Yes, it can get very hot and I see the warning message but, you have to manage it & I try to turn it on at optimum times. I’ve had the Anker since July & in spite of the heat warnings (I was in Seville in August and they were numerous) the battery health on my 13 PM has only dropped 1%.

Without an advancement in an iPhones battery capacity, the only way I’d go back to the MagSafe Battery Pack is if they increased the capacity; in my case it needs to be able to at least double the battery life on a Pro Max.

At the end of the day everyone’s circumstances are different and for most, the MagSafe Battery Pack would probably more than suffice.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I get what the MagSafe Battery packs purpose is but, the problem for me is that it doesn’t extend it enough; I was still having to resort to other methods - carrying an additional power bank.

The Anker 633 is more or less permanently attached to my iPhone. Yes, it can get very hot and I see the warning message but, you have to manage it & I try to turn it on at optimum times. I’ve had the Anker since July & in spite of the heat warnings (I was in Seville in August and they were numerous) the battery health on my 13 PM has only dropped 1%.

Without an advancement in an iPhones battery capacity, the only way I’d go back to the MagSafe Battery Pack is if they increased the capacity; in my case it needs to be able to at least double the battery life on a Pro Max.

At the end of the day everyone’s circumstances are different and for most, the MagSafe Battery Pack would probably more than suffice.

This is a good video on the misunderstanding the Apple MagSafe battery pack.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

For my use on lunch break when I’m near a power outlet, I’m going to charge the Apple MagSafe battery pack to 100% and my iPhone to 100% because at this time the Mag died.

Then when lunch is over at around 1:00 the Mag will be at 100% and so will iPhone. If I work overtime until 6:00 my iPhone will be at 90% but Mag will most likely die or be close to dead. But iPhone will be at 90%.

The Apple Mag is definitely slim enough that it fits into my work pants cell phone pocket easily.

I wouldn’t use this if I’m on vacation cause of not worrying being near power outlet. I would use my Anker 633.

Last edited:

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
For my use on lunch break when I’m near a power outlet, I’m going to charge the Apple MagSafe battery pack to 100% and my iPhone to 100% because at this time the Mag died.

Then when lunch is over at around 1:00 the Mag will be at 100% and so will iPhone. If I work overtime until 6:00 my iPhone will be at 90% but Mag will most likely die or be close to dead. But iPhone will be at 90%.

The Apple Mag is definitely slim enough that it fits into my work pants cell phone pocket easily.

I wouldn’t use this if I’m on vacation cause of not worrying being near power outlet. I would use my Anker 633.
This is exactly how I get the best battery life from my magsafe pack. Charge phone and battery to 100% then connect battery to phone. The device uses the first 10% from internal battery, then, phone will stay at 90% for hours, just using the charge from the battery pack.

Sometimes, the battery pack will recharge itself from the internal battery, and then recharge the phone again. This Is something that I've seen a few times... very strange, but apple magic I guess, here's a screenshot:

battery.jpeg

The pack recharged from the phone (both started at 100%) and you can see the charge icon on both devices, but there's only the battery attached to the phone, with no additional wired charger connected.

I think that maybe , There's a lot of stuff under the hood that is still unknown about how this thing really works.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
This is exactly how I get the best battery life from my magsafe pack. Charge phone and battery to 100% then connect battery to phone. The device uses the first 10% from internal battery, then, phone will stay at 90% for hours, just using the charge from the battery pack.

Sometimes, the battery pack will recharge itself from the internal battery, and then recharge the phone again. This Is something that I've seen a few times... very strange, but apple magic I guess, here's a screenshot:

Yea from doing research the Apple MagSafe has charging management software which is probably the Apple magic you mentioned.

The MagSafe battery is very small but like you said in how it works is very strange.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
I know how to use the MagSafe right still just slap it on when my battery is low. Don’t want to run around with the pack all day. Never had an issue but I don’t need much juice. If it’s charge by 40% that’s more than enough for my use case.

So on a city trip I slap it on in the evening.

Reactions: andresandiego

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I bought the Anker 621 MagSafe battery, when it recently went on sale, for my 15P to hold me until something better comes along since my wife uses the Apple MagSafe battery to top off.

The Anker 621 is nice and thin but it is slightly longer than the bottom of the phone.

IMG_6192.jpeg

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

What you are forgetting is that while you can't create charge, you can in fact waste it.

Charging wirelessly generates heat. Slap on a magsafe battery at 30% and the phone will attempt to charge it using the power in the MagSafe battery pack.

It behaves differently when charge levels are higher, losing less of the power contained within to heat as the iPhone can, essentially, sip from it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is a good video on the misunderstanding the Apple MagSafe battery pack.

While I understand the logic behind the design of the magsafe battery pack, I wonder if Apple has misunderstood how people interact with their devices. When I have to charge my phone in the middle of the day, it's usually because the battery level has dropped to critical levels and I want a quick boost. I am not interested in strapping a lump of plastic to my phone and keeping it there for over an hour while it slowly trickles power over. I just don't have the patience for it. I want my phone to gain as much charge in as little time possible so I can remove the power bank and resume my activities. And if it means my battery health deteriorates more quickly over time, then so be it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
What you are forgetting is that while you can't create charge, you can in fact waste it.

Charging wirelessly generates heat. Slap on a magsafe battery at 30% and the phone will attempt to charge it using the power in the MagSafe battery pack.

It behaves differently when charge levels are higher, losing less of the power contained within to heat as the iPhone can, essentially, sip from it.
That’s true, but negligible. If you run a 1:1 test using both methods, you will end up with very similar SoT.

Reactions: krvld

krvld

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2023
That’s true, but negligible. If you run a 1:1 test using both methods, you will end up with very similar SoT.
No one wants to run the test. Everyone wants to just “feel” it.

I personally use it with my 13 mini while at home to keep the phone at 90% before going out.
Once I’m out I carry it in a separate pocket just in case I’m out of charge.

I might also slap it whenever I’m stationary (cafe, public transport, etc), but boy I don’t want to sacrifice my phone’s size and weight to have it slapped on all day while I’m outside. It just defeats the purpose of a mini phone for me.

Reactions: Andeddu and ATmahe

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
While I understand the logic behind the design of the magsafe battery pack, I wonder if Apple has misunderstood how people interact with their devices. When I have to charge my phone in the middle of the day, it's usually because the battery level has dropped to critical levels and I want a quick boost. I am not interested in strapping a lump of plastic to my phone and keeping it there for over an hour while it slowly trickles power over. I just don't have the patience for it. I want my phone to gain as much charge in as little time possible so I can remove the power bank and resume my activities. And if it means my battery health deteriorates more quickly over time, then so be it.

What I’ve been doing is slapping the 100% charged MagSafe on my 100% charged iPhone 15 Pro and keeping the MagSafe on until it dies. Then when the MagSafe dies my iPhone is at 90%. This is how you’re supposed to use it from doing research.

I’m a heavy user and doing the above seems like I can get 6 hours until MagSafe dies but my iPhone is at 90%.

So if after 6 hours of heavy usage and my iPhone being at 90% I guess that’s good.

Well you might say “I don’t have the patience for keeping the MagSafe on for an hour or so”. There isn’t any patience, you just slap a 100% charged MagSafe on a 100% charged iPhone and go about your day until the MagSafe dies.

Then you might say “it’s bulky and heavy”. Yes it’s bulky and heavier when you keep it on until it dies but for me it isn’t that bad. When you’re not near a power outlet for the bulk of the time at work and in a work vehicle most of the day, it’s a great solution. Plus the combo fit into my work pants cell phone pocket easily and comes out easily.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

Right as I posted when I tested my iPhone at 50% and slapped on the MagSafe, I didn’t get as much out of the MagSafe vs a 100% charged iPhone.

My theory is the MagSafe isn’t meant to charge, it’s meant to maintain a fully charged iPhone until it dies.

When I use an Anker on a 100% charged iPhone medium to heavy , both the iPhone and Anker get hot. The MagSafe iPhone combo can get slightly warm but not hot.

The likes of Anker IMO are used to charge your iPhone when iPhone isn’t being used. Like slap on your Anker on your drive home from work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I only use my 30% of my 15 PM battery on a regular day. I can not imagine using/needing that much battery on my device. I would assume I must be a light user.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I only use my 30% of my 15 PM battery on a regular day. I can not imagine using/needing that much battery on my device. I would assume I must be a light user.

I have a job that is like a fireman. Most of the time there’s nothing going on and have a lot of downtime. I punch in at 5:00am. By 9:00am I usually have about 40% battery. I’m streaming, doing this and that and still have 4 hours to go. More if I’m working overtime.

Just got the MagSafe so I’m testing it out. I’m slapping 100% charged MagSafe on 100% charged iPhone 15 Pro after I punch in at 5:00am. Unfortunately I don’t have access to any power after I punch in and get in work vehicle, so I have to rely on portable power.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
No one wants to run the test. Everyone wants to just “feel” it.

I personally use it with my 13 mini while at home to keep the phone at 90% before going out.
Once I’m out I carry it in a separate pocket just in case I’m out of charge.

I might also slap it whenever I’m stationary (cafe, public transport, etc), but boy I don’t want to sacrifice my phone’s size and weight to have it slapped on all day while I’m outside. It just defeats the purpose of a mini phone for me.

Yea. I’m working overtime. Slapped on 100% charged MagSafe to 100% charged iPhone 15 pro at 6:30am and was using it heavy. MagSafe died 11:30 with 90% battery 15 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.