Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Ventilation is key, I’ve got that message watching streamed video while the phone is in my hands, as the heat emanating from hands can elevate the internal temperature of both devices.

Even a good inprovised stand can help to ventilate the devices, don’t forget that high screen brightness while long sessions of watching video, also elevates general device’s temp.
Just got another MagSafe. It’s thicker than the MagSafe I already have. Anyone know what’s going on here?

556025aa6599b38f5c4653237155927c.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: krvld

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Just for another MagSafe. It’s thicker than the MagSafe I already have. Anyone know what’s going on here?

Connect the thicker unit to the phone, then check on general/about/ if you scroll down you can see a menu that says “MagSafe battery pack” if you can’t find that menu, the battery is fake and you should ask for a refund if you payed for an original one.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Just got another MagSafe. It’s thicker than the MagSafe I already have. Anyone know what’s going on here?

Looks like a third-party MagSafe battery pack to me. Apple never released a different model as far as I am aware.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Looks like a third-party MagSafe battery pack to me. Apple never released a different model as far as I am aware.

It’s supposedly a genuine MagSafe but confirmed it’s a fake. Not registering on battery widget and Apple confirmed they don’t have device with serial #.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It’s supposedly a genuine MagSafe but confirmed it’s a fake. Not registering on battery widget and Apple confirmed they don’t have device with serial #.
Yes, no battery widget is confirmation as only Apple are able to make use of that function.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Yep it’s a fake. Apple said they don’t have device with serial #.
Yep confirmed with Apple with serial # too.

Turns out the genuine MagSafe I got from Amazon has a 1 year Apple warranty.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I have it and like it, however, I did get the Anker version and like it better, not much bigger and holds a bigger charge. At the end of the day like OP said, it’s to top off or keep you at 80-90% towards end of the day.

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
I ‘ve heard good comments about the Anker MagSafe batteries. The only thing that keeps away me from those is that those are not battery extenders like the Apple one , but simple power banks that are designed to keep your phone charging till 100% and continue delivering power past that number.

The difference is that when you connect a power bank like those ones, the phone registers it as connected to wall power and it starts to run background tasks that usually are programmed to run when connected to mains. That’s what sometimes causes the phones to overheat.

Apple’s magsafe battery is mainly an extension of the internal battery, so when connected, it will keep the internal battery at 90% (even though you have the option to top up to 100%).
Crucial difference is that the phone doesn’t start those background processes, and also it has some software control of temp, which can help to protect your internal battery.

Obviously it depends on every user and their needs, plenty of room for everyone.

Gato.

Last edited:

krvld

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2023
I ‘ve heard good comments about the Anker MagSafe batteries. The only thing that keeps away me from those is that those are not battery extenders like the Apple one , but simple power banks that are designed to keep your phone charging till 100% and continue delivering power past that number.

The difference is that when you connect a power bank like those ones, the phone registers it as connected to wall power and it starts to run background tasks that usually are programmed to run when connected to mains. That’s what sometimes causes the phones to overheat.

Apple’s magsafe battery is mainly an extension of the internal battery, so when connected, it will keep the internal battery at 90% (even though you have the option to top up to 100%).
Crucial difference is that the phone doesn’t start those background processes, and also it has some software control of temp, which can help to protect your internal battery.

Obviously it depends on every user and their needs, plenty of room for everyone.

Gato.
Also Apple one charges exactly to 90% (shows 91-92%) but let the battery drop to 83% (shows 88%) which is even better range for the battery to stay in.

This 5% margin is purely iOS User Experience.

I did many tests via CoconutBattery to get hardware readings.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Also it charges exactly to 90% (shows 91-92%) but let the battery drop to 83% (shows 88%) which is even better range for the battery to stay in.

What battery solution you referring too? MagSafe or Anker ?

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Also Apple one charges exactly to 90% (shows 91-92%) but let the battery drop to 83% (shows 88%) which is even better range for the battery to stay in.

I use my iPhone pretty hard like streaming and Bluetooth speaker and cellular data, no WiFi at the same time. I notice using the Apple MagSafe in the last day or so that I’m getting a message about iPhone won’t charge until it cools down.

Is this just the “nature of the beast” that can’t be helped cause of the streaming with Bluetooth speaker and cellular data, no WiFi?

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
I use my iPhone pretty hard like streaming and Bluetooth speaker and cellular data, no WiFi at the same time. I notice using the Apple MagSafe in the last day or so that I’m getting a message about iPhone won’t charge until it cools down.

Is this just the “nature of the beast” that can’t be helped cause of the streaming with Bluetooth speaker and cellular data, no WiFi?

Yes. The intensive use of 4G/5G wireless radios is something that generates a lot of heat, specially when you are in an area with low reception, as the phone needs to use more energy to maintain a reliable connection. And don't forget that, as the other poster said, screen brightness is another crucial factor in regard to heat generation.

krvld

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2023
Day with Apple Magsafe Battery Pack on my iPhone 13 mini.

Plenty of juice to last a full day with any kind of usage tbh. Love it.

I don’t keep it on all the time, but rather on and off to maintain ease of use of a smaller phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1520.png
    IMG_1520.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: gato_con_negro

krvld

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2023

I would suggest you to keep it off while the screen is on. It will cool down much faster this way.

Qualcomm modem faces SoC because main board is built in a sandwiched way which creates lots of heat.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I would suggest you to keep it off while the screen is on. It will cool down much faster this way.

Qualcomm modem faces SoC because main board is built in a sandwiched way which creates lots of heat.

Ok been trying that. What’s “interesting” is when my MagSafe dies, I charge it up during my break. It charges up in about and hour. Since I don’t use iPhone heavy during break eating my lunch battery will usually be at around 70-75%. When I slap on the MagSafe this is when I get the warning. Never get the warning when I slap it on when my iPhone is 90-100% the first time around.

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Makes sense, what happens is that at 70-75 the battery acts as a power bank, so it tries to top up the phone to 90% that generates a lot more heat than when connected at 100% when it works as a battery extender.

Some interesting happened to me the other day. I usually charge the battery pack alone. But this time I was in a hurry and connected the battery to a 20w powerbank to charge battery and phone (wirelessly from the pack) at the same time.

When disconnected from the power bank , it caused the battery to enter in a bug, so it keep acting as a charger puck, trying to charge the phone to 100% constantly not keeping it at 90% (even when the option was not selected) that drove me crazy, because the pack was depleting so fast I was thinking that it was broken.

Fortunately I fixed it rebooting my phone, and charging the battery from an oficial 5w apple charger from about 20 minutes. Then connected to phone, and everything was normal again.

Moral of my story: using the battery pack as a magsafe charger wired from third party power banks (and maybe chargers?) can make the battery to enter a bug/state where it acts merely as a charger and not a smart battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Makes sense, what happens is that at 70-75 the battery acts as a power bank, so it tries to top up the phone to 90% that generates a lot more heat than when connected at 100% when it works as a battery extender.

Some interesting happened to me the other day. I usually charge the battery pack alone. But this time I was in a hurry and connected the battery to a 20w powerbank to charge battery and phone (wirelessly from the pack) at the same time.

That situation caused the battery to enter in a bug, so it keep acting as a charger puck, trying to charge the phone to 100% constantly not keeping it at 90% (even when the option was not selected) that drove me crazy, because the pack was depleting so fast I was thinking that it was broken.

Fortunately I fixed it rebooting my phone, and charging the battery from an oficial 5w apple charger from about 20 minutes. Then connected to phone, and everything was normal again.

Moral of my story: using the battery pack as a magsafe charger wired from third party power banks (and maybe chargers?) can make the battery to enter a bug/state where it acts merely as a charger and not a smart battery.

Got it on acting as a power bank at 70-75%. I’m going to get another one now and when one dies I slap on the other and charge the dead one on my Anker 20k battery pack.

Reactions: gato_con_negro

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Got it on acting as a power bank at 70-75%. I’m going to get another one now and when one dies I slap on the other and charge the dead one on my Anker 20k battery pack.
That's my way to go. Just be careful with charging the battery pack and the phone from the Anker pack, using just the magsafe battery connected via cable to the power bank, because (maybe) it can cause the Bug that I described. I think Its better to charge the magsafe batteries and phone for separate.

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Hi I know Apple discontinued the MagSafe battery pack, there are sellers offering it. I know what the use is for, basically to keep your battery at let’s say 90% until the battery pack dies.

I’m wanting to use this for my 15 pro.

If anyone has one would like to hear your experience. Thanks!
I use mine and I love it. Works great.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I had mine. Frankly I’d rather use a small pd charger about the size of the MagSafe battery. Just charge it for 20 mins and regain the percentage back up to 70%. Then take it off vs carrying a bulky backpack on your phone for hours. I sold my MagSafe battery pack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.