Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Any updates on the tests you are running ? I think you are one of the few people testing real world usage of MagSafe pack with iPhone 15 pro.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Any updates on the tests you are running ? I think you are one of the few people testing real world usage of MagSafe pack with iPhone 15 pro.

Yes.

Slapped on a 100% charged Magsage to a 100% charged iPhone at 5:30am this morning.

Used it heavy. At 11:30-11:45am MagSafe died and was left with 91% iPhone battery.

Ate lunch and hooked up MagSafe to my Anker 20,000 with iPhone attached to MagSafe. Took a a Power Nap.

At around 12:30’ish MagSafe was at 70% and iPhone at 91%.

Took MagSafe iPhone combo off Anker and used it heavy until about 2:00pm when I left work.

Got home used it heavy and MagSafe died at about 4:30 and iPhone at 91%.

At home I’m good cause I’m near power, plus WiFi and have 91% iPhone battery.

Reactions: andresandiego

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Very interesting results. Finishing the day with 91% with that little top up is great, considering your long work days and usage.
Something fascinating that I remember, is that some months ago, another poster showed in a thread a theory that the 14 pro series was able to run just from magsafe pack, bypassing internal battery. Maybe it’s the same with 15 pro series. That is some very interesting stuff from the perspective of taking care of the internal battery.

keep up us updated with your tests.

Gato.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Very interesting results. Finishing the day with 91% with that little top up is great, considering your long work days and usage.
Something fascinating that I remember, is that some months ago, another poster showed in a thread a theory that the 14 pro series was able to run just from magsafe pack, bypassing internal battery. Maybe it’s the same with 15 pro series. That is some very interesting stuff from the perspective of taking care of the internal battery.

keep up us updated with your tests.

Gato.

Yea the only thing that people won’t like is it adds bulk. But I’m good with that. And it’s lightning.

I’m probably going to order another one from eBay $50.

Reactions: gato_con_negro

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
That’s my way to go, currently with a 12 mini plus 2 MagSafe packs. I have one always ready to swap. It’s the nearest thing to a removable battery setup. I obviously, from time to time, use just the internal battery, to prevent having it always charged. My battery health is 97%.

When I’m mobile I carry a cheap 20000 mah powerbank in my backpack(with a usbc power delivery connector) so I can constantly recharge a spare MagSafe pack.

This system can keep my devices working for days when I’m not near a power outlet.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
That’s my way to go, currently with a 12 mini plus 2 MagSafe packs. I have one always ready to swap. It’s the nearest thing to a removable battery setup. I obviously, from time to time, use just the internal battery, to prevent having it always charged. My battery health is 97%.

When I’m mobile I carry a cheap 20000 mah powerbank in my backpack(with a usbc power delivery connector) so I can constantly recharge a spare MagSafe pack.

This system can keep my devices working for days when I’m not near a power outlet.

The MagSafe charges fast on my Anker 20,000.

Here’s sort of an update.

When you slap on a 100% charged MagSafe to a 100% charged iPhone, the MagSafe won’t start doing its thing until the iPhone battery gets down to around 90%.

That’s a good point you made when you said it’s the nearest thing to a removable battery set up.

Last edited:

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I’ve got one from Anker that works just fine. Isn’t rocket science building these things.

‘I trust Anker but some of the cheap knock-offs I see coming from china . . . well I would not leave them on the charger unsupervised due to possible fire hazard. A friend bought one about a year ago and it caught fire 🔥 while charging and ruined his desk top. He was only using a 15 watt charger.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

This is a simple but important accessory to me especially not being near power at work.

Today same routine and MagSafe died about the same time as previous. Can’t wait to get my other MagSafe.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Is the Apple MagSafe battery pack OK to use on the iPhone 15 Pro? I know they discontinued it (I'm guessing probably because of the lightning connector) but I liked how on Apple's website, it list compatibility with which models it worked with.

I'm buying my 15 Pro today and will probably ask at the Apple store as well.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Is the Apple MagSafe battery pack OK to use on the iPhone 15 Pro? I know they discontinued it (I'm guessing probably because of the lightning connector) but I liked how on Apple's website, it list compatibility with which models it worked with.

I'm buying my 15 Pro today and will probably ask at the Apple store as well.

I’m using it with my 15 Pro

Reactions: Coffee50

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
‘I trust Anker but some of the cheap knock-offs I see coming from china . . . well I would not leave them on the charger unsupervised due to possible fire hazard. A friend bought one about a year ago and it caught fire 🔥 while charging and ruined his desk top. He was only using a 15 watt charger.
Anker is made in China and has also had some chargers with fire issues in the past but I still love them and they are best of what’s out there atm.

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
I want to buy the Apple MagSafe battery pack but no idea which are the genuine ones on eBay.

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
An original one, when connected, will appear like this example on settings/about/Magsafe battery pack:

IMG_1306.jpg

If it doesn't show that information on the about page in settings, it's fake.

fessura

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Anyone try other brands? I picked up some the other day and both the battery and 15 Pro gets quite warm. As some say, perhaps that isn't so great for battery health.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I use an Anker 621 on my 15P since my wife usually uses the Apple MagSafe battery pack. The 621 is nice and thin but it is slightly longer than the bottom of the phone.

It has a usbc connection and you don’t have to press the button to start charging. The led battery gauge lights are automatic.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Original Apple MagSafe has been too good to be true for those who are ready to accept a lil bit bulk for more power.
3rd party MagSafe batteries might give more juice and seem VFM, but the integration of apple’s own is unparalleled.

Loads of use cases:
* When on trips I attach it as soon as the battery goes below 50%. Keep taking photos and videos with the iPhone. iPhone battery stays at that points and MagSafe depletes. So at the end of the day when I return to my room, the iPhone still has enough battery to last the night if needed. Otherwise I would have reached my room with no juice and would have taken lesser photos thinking about the low power.

* Daily at night when I see my battery less than 30% I take the iPhone with battery attached and keep watching whatever I want in bed. In the morning it’s nice to see iPhones battery at 90%. I like to read magazines in bed late night and have no power sources just by my bed. Otherwise probably would have hooked the iPhone on charger before going to bed and not used it before sleep (yes this is bad, but a habit).

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
To all the battery aficionados on this thread, check this thread from months ago: Link
That thread has some interesting info on the ability of iPhone 14 pro/max to run entirely from wall power or MagSafe pack, bypassing the internal battery.

Maybe those with 15 pros can do some similar tests and confirm that info. For now, this is the only thread discussing that subject, so maybe we can share here new info on this matter.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: krvld

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Original Apple MagSafe has been too good to be true for those who are ready to accept a lil bit bulk for more power.
3rd party MagSafe batteries might give more juice and seem VFM, but the integration of apple’s own is unparalleled.

Loads of use cases:
* When on trips I attach it as soon as the battery goes below 50%. Keep taking photos and videos with the iPhone. iPhone battery stays at that points and MagSafe depletes. So at the end of the day when I return to my room, the iPhone still has enough battery to last the night if needed. Otherwise I would have reached my room with no juice and would have taken lesser photos thinking about the low power.

* Daily at night when I see my battery less than 30% I take the iPhone with battery attached and keep watching whatever I want in bed. In the morning it’s nice to see iPhones battery at 90%. I like to read magazines in bed late night and have no power sources just by my bed. Otherwise probably would have hooked the iPhone on charger before going to bed and not used it before sleep (yes this is bad, but a habit).

To all the battery aficionados on this thread, check this thread from months ago: Link
That thread has some interesting info on the ability of iPhone 14 pro/max to run entirely from wall power or MagSafe pack, bypassing the internal battery.

Maybe those with 15 pros can do some similar tests and confirm that info. For now, this is the only thread discussing that subject, so maybe we can share here new info on this matter.
Ok running into a snag. Since yesterday I’ve been getting a warning “will resume charging when reaches temp”.

What’s happening is around 40% MagSafe battery getting that message. Then what’s happening is when I keep MagSafe on both iPhone and MagSafe start running down.

The what I doing is streaming and Bluetooth.

Any suggestions?

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Ok running into a snag. Since yesterday I’ve been getting a warning “will resume charging when reaches temp”.

What’s happening is around 40% MagSafe battery getting that message. Then what’s happening is when I keep MagSafe on both iPhone and MagSafe start running down.

The what I doing is streaming and Bluetooth.

Any suggestions?
Heat It’s one of those handicaps about wireless charging. It depends on multiple factors, for example in a hot day I usually get that message. Also I get that message when the phone is in my pockets or when I’m running multiple apps on background, or even when I’m outside at full brightness.

I usually disconnect the battery, restart my phone, and use 10% of internal battery (with a lower screen brightness) to cool things off. Then I reconnect the battery.

It all depends on your unique situation and what you can do to cool the phone and battery.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Heat It’s one of those handicaps about wireless charging. It depends on multiple factors, for example in a hot day I usually get that message. Also I get that message when the phone is in my pockets or when I’m running multiple apps on background, even when I’m outside at full brightness.

I usually disconnect the battery, restart my phone, and use 10% of internal battery (with a lower screen brightness) to cool things off. Then I reconnect the battery.
It all depends on you unique situation and what you can do to cool the phone and battery.

Ok will try that. I’m usually running HBO Max Netflix or YouTube TV and a Bluetooth speaker using cellular data not WiFi.

gato_con_negro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Ventilation is key, I’ve got that message watching streamed video while the phone is in my hands, as the heat emanating from hands can elevate the internal temperature of both devices.

Even a good inprovised stand can help to ventilate the devices, don’t forget that high screen brightness while long sessions of watching video, also elevates general device’s temp.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Ventilation is key, I’ve got that message watching streaming video while the phone is in my hands, as the heat emanating from hands can elevate the internal temperature of the device.

Even a good inprovised stand can help to ventilate the devices, don’t forget that high screen brightness while long sessions of watching video, also elevates general device’s temp.

Thanks! Sounds like the nature of the beast. Will try your suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.