Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greyhounds4

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I ordered the 11 Pro in silver with 256 GB at 8:04 EST. It said 9/20 on my check out, but the email bumped it to 9/27 - 10/4. Why did I bother to get pre approved and pre order? I wouldn't care if everyone past that time had my date, but it sucks to have to miss launch day when others will get theirs who ordered later. I know. First world problem.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I ordered the 11 Pro in silver with 256 GB at 8:04 EST. It said 9/20 on my check out, but the email bumped it to 9/27 - 10/4. Why did I bother to get pre approved and pre order? I wouldn't care if everyone past that time had my date, but it sucks to have to miss launch day when others will get theirs who ordered later. I know. First world problem.

It was a huge miss on Apple's end. My phone has an 8am pickup at an apple store, but wife's phone had the above issue. Here is why I'm ultimately pissed.

- Showed 9/20 delivery all the way up until confirmation. At this point, I didn't know whether stores had any availability for pickup, what happens if I cancelled at this point, etc.
- Asked for credit card information before submitting the order. I had apple pay ready to go, and filled out my pre-approval. Why the hell did I need to enter my credit card at this point? Their "one tap when live" is a bunch of BS.
- The unlocked versions showed launch day delivery wayyy longer than carrier versions. I don't recall, but easily a good 10-15 minutes after my order.
- Pickups for the same model were available for over an hour after my order. There was no intuitive way to change it/didn't know what happened to my loan if I wanted to change it.

I'm still seeing reports of 9/20 orders not preparing for shipment yet, so this gives me hope that some of these will be batched in with their shipments. That being said, it was just a terrible experience all around.

Reactions: Dominar

Dominar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Northernmost NY State
It certainly was a crap experience. Why bother to have me do all the prep? Apple knew they had a sale. It’s not like reserving the phones for pre preorder folks was going to cost them a sale. If someone didn’t preorder in like an hour after preorder then release their phone. I was 6 minutes after start and I end up with 10/1-10/4!!! The stupid app wouldn’t let me in on top of it.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
It certainly was a crap experience. Why bother to have me do all the prep? Apple knew they had a sale. It’s not like reserving the phones for pre preorder folks was going to cost them a sale. If someone didn’t preorder in like an hour after preorder then release their phone. I was 6 minutes after start and I end up with 10/1-10/4!!! The stupid app wouldn’t let me in on top of it.

I highly doubt it was as calculated as that. My guess is that demand once again outstripped supply. Apple has to reserve phones for key partners (the carriers), key retailers (Best Buy, Walmart etc.) and every country in which the device goes on sale. Oh, and then there is the Apple retail stores that need to pay their staff and rent as well...

It's too bad that they can't fulfill these orders all on day 1. I too am on iUP, with a prequal done ahead of time and then stuck with a 9/27-10/1 window which sucks. At least my case arrived today...

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I'd still love to know why some got in way earlier than my two phones. Had one on LTE, another on wifi, blah blah blah.

Also, on-top of that, it was getting the 9/27 delivery while seeing different options available way after my order was complete.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
It was a huge miss on Apple's end. My phone has an 8am pickup at an apple store, but wife's phone had the above issue. Here is why I'm ultimately pissed.

- Showed 9/20 delivery all the way up until confirmation. At this point, I didn't know whether stores had any availability for pickup, what happens if I cancelled at this point, etc.
- Asked for credit card information before submitting the order. I had apple pay ready to go, and filled out my pre-approval. Why the hell did I need to enter my credit card at this point? Their "one tap when live" is a bunch of BS.
- The unlocked versions showed launch day delivery wayyy longer than carrier versions. I don't recall, but easily a good 10-15 minutes after my order.
- Pickups for the same model were available for over an hour after my order. There was no intuitive way to change it/didn't know what happened to my loan if I wanted to change it.

I'm still seeing reports of 9/20 orders not preparing for shipment yet, so this gives me hope that some of these will be batched in with their shipments. That being said, it was just a terrible experience all around.

I had the app showing 9/20 all the way to checkout, even on the Apple pay popup. Then confirmation email said 9/27. The app showed 9/20 for the same configuration for another 10 mins. I don't think app dates were updated properly.

First Post G

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2011
NYC
I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the 9/27+ dates come well before the quoted range, but wouldn’t hold out hope for a launch day delivery. I don’t recall seeing any threads with dates including the week of 9/23...seems notably absent.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the 9/27+ dates come well before the quoted range, but wouldn’t hold out hope for a launch day delivery. I don’t recall seeing any threads with dates including the week of 9/23...seems notably absent.

I saw a handful of people get a 9/23 date and then it switched to 9/20 already. Hopefully we get some movement on the 9/27 ones. There's still hope... most of the phones being shipped right now are just going to sit for 2 days.

Reactions: SparklyOne

supedagod

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
Back again this year ,same story as you guys , figure it’ll be in my hands on the 27th , gotta chill till then ,after 10 years of this excitement level not as high for me ,possibly features aren’t enough to hype it up to that level but definitely eagerly anticipating using it soon

Reactions: SparklyOne

meldea

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Similar story with me that others have told, app told me Sept 20 and then suddenly the order processing email gave me something different. I initially didn’t mind waiting, but Best Buy continues to show that I can get the same 512 Pro in Midnight Green on Sept 20th. It’s ... tempting. Any reason not to cancel and go with Best Buy at this point?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
So the heck with Apple. I cancelled my 9/27 to 10/1 delivery and am going through Best Buy. They supposedly will have them on Friday. I guess we will see.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
So the heck with Apple. I cancelled my 9/27 to 10/1 delivery and am going through Best Buy. They supposedly will have them on Friday. I guess we will see.
I wouldn’t hold your breath... I ordered right when pre order went live, and none of us have had any signs of shipment yet (which may be okay...). But Best Buy has a history of royally screwing up iPhone preorders.
There is a Best Buy iPhone preorder thread here you can search for if you like.

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
I cancelled my Apple order yesterday and ordered the 512 MG Pro Max from ATT yesterday. I was going to give Apple through yesterday to move it up but it didn't happen. My backup plan was going to be to just cancel the phone order and wait until next year if I couldn't get it here before I left.....I wasn't really hyped about the new phones. However it looks like ATT will come through with a launch day delivery....if only my AW Series 5 will arrive early that would be awesome!

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I cancelled my Pro 256gb SG so there you go. I'll take my chances with Best Buy or Apple Store on Friday.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Ok so even if Best Buy doesn't have them on Friday then what's the difference? Apple wouldn't have delivered it that day anyway. It would have been well into next week. If Best Buy screws it up than I'm no worse off.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I haven't seen one datapoint of it changing. Think this guy just didn't understand what this thread is.

Fwiw i ordered 2 iphone 11 on Sunday with delivery for launch day but yesterday I got email from Apple that they had trouble with my payment method and I had to call my back, after I ran it again my delivery date changed to to 27-01.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.