Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Don’t know if you’ve been and tried it out, but yes, they do; when I took my iMac to the High Cross in Leicester I used it for over £30.

No I haven’t tried it out yet. Thank you, it will come in handy when I visit Hotel Chocolat in April for Easter Eggs :)

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Many retailers who implement ApplePay have been noted in this thread.

There’s isn’t any way to tell whether it’s just contactless or ApplePay without trying and seeing what happens (that I can think of), but the majority of supermarkets for example, are ApplePay (Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, Co-Op, M&S) with Tesco apparently on the way, only really leaving Asda out. There are many other retailers if you read back a bit.

Usually the display on the terminal will indicate whether it accepts over £30 because the contactless symbol will be present, although you won’t know this until it’s time to pay.

I used Apple Pay for a £700 transaction in Costco at the weekend - very handy because I’d forgotten my wallet.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Usually the display on the terminal will indicate whether it accepts over £30 because the contactless symbol will be present, although you won’t know this until it’s time to pay.

I used Apple Pay for a £700 transaction in Costco at the weekend - very handy because I’d forgotten my wallet.

I don’t know if it’s still the case but for a while the payment terminals at Tesco continued to display the contactless logo, even when it was for a purchase over £30.

I know that’s an exception to the rule...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I don’t know if it’s still the case but for a while the payment terminals at Tesco continued to display the contactless logo, even when it was for a purchase over £30.

I know that’s an exception to the rule...

That was for your contactless club card. The words on the screen can be as helpful as the pictures.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I set up a WIKI that I try and keep updated from time to time that shows main UK retailers that support Apple Pay transactions over the current contactless limit of £30. The WIKI can be updated by anyone, or leave a post and I will update. The thread is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I don't know if anyone else here uses N26 Bank but I've had an email off them; after initially supporting Google Pay first they're now onboard with Apple Pay, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: catean

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Not sure when it was added, but the Disney Store in Nottingham now accepts contactless, used my watch to buy something today. Was about the only shop that I still had to use chip and pin like a loser. No more.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Just to update everyone. I survived with only Apple Pay all day from 4 am until I got back home at 10.30 pm. I could pay for transport and food using Apple Pay. There was never any issue.

Reactions: iGeek2014

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Just to update everyone. I survived with only Apple Pay all day from 4 am until I got back home at 10.30 pm. I could pay for transport and food using Apple Pay. There was never any issue.

If I remember correctly, you’re in London as well, I never carry my cards at all since last couple of years.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Thought we might have been in luck with Apple Pay Cash after today’s announcement but I guess we’re still going to have to be patient...

I had my fingers crossed, but no.. Apple obviously can't find a banking partner, which is odd seeing they have a good relationship with Barclays. It's a shame really, all my family would use Apple Pay Cash regularly.

Reactions: iGeek2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.