Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
so, another reply from "The Range"

"Hi there, I apologise for the delay in responding to you. I can advise that we as a company have chosen to keep this limit as many other retailers have, although no longer legally required, this is for the protection of our customers. "

So, I wrote back:

"I’m intrigued to know what protection “the range” are offering me by restricting Apple Pay, which in itself is far more secure than using a debit or credit card ?"

The Range
"We are offering the very physical protection of if someone loses their card and it is picked up, it can only be used up to the limit of £30 rather than an unlimited amount, hopefully allowing the owner of the lost card time to realise it is no longer in their posession. I hope this provides some clarification. "

So I wrote back

"That’s not how Apple Pay works. The contactless limit still stays at £30 at the card level, but Apple Pay allows limitless transactions via the iPhone or Apple Watch. You must know that. ???? It’s your terminals restricting things. Other retailers have upgraded their equipment to support it and Google Pay ie, M&S, subway, Lidl, Aldi, Costas, To name a few"

It's like banging your head against a wall when you talk to these people !!!
[doublepost=1554378475][/doublepost]And one last reply >

"Hi, As previously advised we have chosen as a business to leave the limit in place, as many other retailers, not including the list you have provided, have chosen to do."

Well, going by this post I’ve found on Monzo’s forums things might change as of 2020:

There is no requirement to accept contactless over £30 in the Mastercard rules. In fact not all terminals can accept higher value payments. Although that is expected to change in 2020 when new rules come into force.

Mastercard release most things publicly, however they do not release everything to the public, so its probably about 90% public.

Best place to start is the Mastercard Handbook covers 99% of all eventualities https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/mccom/global/documents/mastercard-rules.pdf 1

However there are specific rules relating to Europe in the Mastercard rules, the FCA also have some rules, PAY UK also publish some information…

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Decided to give Curve another go, boy how things have changed since I used it last back in the beta days. Soon as they sort out Apple Pay I'll be very happy.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Been having problems using Apple Pay on the tube. Tapped in last night with my Apple Watch. No issues. Couldn’t tap out with my Apple Watch had to use my iPhone. This morning I couldn’t tap in with my phone or watch but was able to tap out with my phone.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Been having problems using Apple Pay on the tube. Tapped in last night with my Apple Watch. No issues. Couldn’t tap out with my Apple Watch had to use my iPhone. This morning I couldn’t tap in with my phone or watch but was able to tap out with my phone.

I had issues with my watch on the bus yesterday. Something must have not been working properly.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Has anyone managed to use the new Express Transit Card feature in iOS 12.3 yet on TfL?

Glad they have finally introduced it; saves having to authenticate with Touch/Face ID or a passcode now...

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===

We're going to have to agree to disagree then:

Here's what you need to start using Express Transit mode with Apple Pay:
iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, or iPhone 6s Plus or later
Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 or later
The latest version of iOS and watchOS
An Apple ID signed in to iCloud
A transit card or payment card in Wallet that's eligible for Express Transit
Be in a location that supports transit cards with Apple Pay

IMG_0971.jpg

Reactions: martyjmclean

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

View attachment 837833

We aren’t, since you aren’t in a location that supports transit cards with Apple Pay. That’s why you need to read the link I posted.

You can set it up, just like I have a suica and a Shanghai transit card on my phone right now. But you cannot use it right now on TfL. There’s no agreeing to disagree here.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

View attachment 837833
It didn’t think the UK supported transit cards yet?

26119BC0-E724-4277-9243-74A395404173.jpeg

How did you get it to work?

Reactions: Donfor39

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK

It won't work as such yet, it will continue to use the selected payment card with Touch/Face ID for now. If in the future TfL support Express Transit mode then it will work, equally if you go somewhere (for now another country) that does support Express Transit mode it will work. Express Transit Mode appears to bring another benefit with it, the ability to support Transit Cards. These sound like having an Oyster Card on your phone on to which you can load journeys, time based passes etc. Supporting Transit Cards appears to me to require the support of Express Transit Mode from reading the Apple website so may be a way off for us.

A

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===

View attachment 837882

It’s in iOS 12.3; and you choose your preferred card under Wallet & Apple Pay>Travel Cards.

I stand corrected; it’s not available on TfL but next time I’m in London I’ll give it a try.

Anyhow this’ll be my last post on here :)

Reactions: Shanghaichica

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
There's only two things I want now. Apple Pay Cash in the UK and Curve to support Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.