Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Just received an email from JLP about Strong Customer Authentication.

It’s got this note about contactless device payments suggesting the associated card may be required for authentication purposes.

Anyone got more knowledge on this?

Attachments

• F2EDEB44-F13B-48E6-9F66-BC420D43F03F.jpeg
    F2EDEB44-F13B-48E6-9F66-BC420D43F03F.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 220

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North

It’s got this note about contactless device payments suggesting the associated card may be required for authentication purposes.

I got this same email and thought I'd come here to let people know. This is one of the problems with Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay etc. Retailers still do not understand the security benefits of these new payment methods.

Reactions: arkitect

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I got this same email and thought I'd come here to let people know. This is one of the problems with Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay etc. Retailers still do not understand the security benefits of these new payment methods.

I’m sure someone in that retail company is filling his bank up by scaremongering.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

That is terrible — just defeats the whole purpose of contactless.

Mind you I have been getting lots of email from banks about "changes coming in September for your security"… so god knows what the banks are cooking up.

This would be a massive step backward. I seldom have my cards with me these days… iPhone, keys and… errm… that's it. To have to return to the days of a wallet stuffed with cards would be very annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: azing

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
I got the same email. I thought we were trying to get to a place where we do not need plasitic cards, feels like a step backwards!

Apple Pay is secure! That's the whole point of it.

Reactions: azing and arkitect

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom

So basically to use Apple Pay you have to also insert your physical card and put in your pin? That 100% defeats the point haha, ridiculous.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
I’ve done some reading and Strong Customer Authentication is part of a new EU payment services directive. The majority of payments will require two factor authentication.

This includes online transactions, which will likely be verified via one time passcode text message.

Of course Apple Pay is two factor already - 1. phone/watch and 2. fingerprint/face.

Since Apple Pay meets the SCA requirements there shouldn’t be any changes required for online or in person payments. I’m therefore hopeful that John Lewis have got this wrong, which would be concerning but perhaps not surprising given the miscommunication/misunderstanding of Apple Pay in the past.

Exemptions for two factor authentication include low value transactions (eg. Current £30 limit for card contactless)

Another part of the directive seems to be resulting in changes to online banking login processes for a many banks/building societies.

Reactions: azing and cepenpark

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
I’ve done some reading and Strong Customer Authentication is part of a new EU payment services directive. The majority of payments will require two factor authentication.

This includes online transactions, which will likely be verified via one time passcode text message.

Of course Apple Pay is two factor already - 1. phone/watch and 2. fingerprint/face.

Since Apple Pay meets the SCA requirements there shouldn’t be any changes required for online or in person payments. I’m therefore hopeful that John Lewis have got this wrong, which would be concerning but not unsurprising given the miscommunication/misunderstanding of Apple Pay in the past.

Exemptions for two factor authentication include low value transactions (eg. Current £30 limit for card contactless)

Another part of the directive seems to be resulting in changes to online banking login processes for a many banks/building societies.
Might be worth replying to the email and including the text in this post. Would be interested in the response.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
My take on it is this: I guess some people have gone out shopping, without their cards, reached the point where their issuing bank performs a ‘PIN check’ and probably kicked off.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
Apple's Merchant support page says this about the PIN number

"
When customers pay with Apple Pay, do they need to sign a receipt or enter a PIN?
When paying in stores with Apple Pay in some countries and regions, if your customer's transaction exceeds a certain amount, they might need to enter their PIN. In some cases, they might need to sign a receipt or use a different payment method.4

Apple Cash5 doesn't require a PIN as every payment is authenticated by Face ID, Touch ID, or a secure passcode. Some terminals may still request a PIN to complete any debit transaction. If prompted, advise customers to enter a four-digit code such as 0000.
"

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Apple's Merchant support page says this about the PIN number

"
When customers pay with Apple Pay, do they need to sign a receipt or enter a PIN?
When paying in stores with Apple Pay in some countries and regions, if your customer's transaction exceeds a certain amount, they might need to enter their PIN. In some cases, they might need to sign a receipt or use a different payment method.4

Apple Cash5 doesn't require a PIN as every payment is authenticated by Face ID, Touch ID, or a secure passcode. Some terminals may still request a PIN to complete any debit transaction. If prompted, advise customers to enter a four-digit code such as 0000.
"

The linked page very specifically says this about the UK -> "You might not be able to use Apple Pay for purchases over 30 GBP."

There is no noted provision in the UK for entering pins or signing receipts.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The linked page very specifically says this about the UK -> "You might not be able to use Apple Pay for purchases over 30 GBP."

There is no noted provision in the UK for entering pins or signing receipts.

Genuinely curious how BREXIT will impact all of this Pay/Apple Card stuff with the UK... that's still slated for October 31, 2019.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Apple have reportedly registered a trademark for Apple Card here in the U.K. so whatever happens in the next few weeks I'd imagine we may see it at some point.

If we do leave it'll also be interesting to see if the Government remove the EU rules on Interchange Fees; that is why I suspect any offerings from Apple won't be as generous as they might've been before it came into effect.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Update from JL

At John Lewis & Partners, we are committed to ensuring you have a safe and secure experience when shopping with us. On Monday 2 September we sent you an email about Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) and the importance of your card issuer having your most up-to-date contact information.

We incorrectly suggested that you may be asked to insert your card and key in your PIN when using Apple Pay and Samsung Pay. We are pleased to tell you that you are not required to present your card or enter your PIN when using these payment methods, and you can continue to use Apple Pay and Samsung Pay as normal.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Was able to use Apple Pay with Mr Tyre in Langley Mill last week; spending £120 on new tyres and tracking never felt so painful and painless at the same time!

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Was able to use Apple Pay with Mr Tyre in Langley Mill last week; spending £120 on new tyres and tracking never felt so painful and painless at the same time!
I think, in my experience at least, I'm more surprised when places don't accept Apple Pay. I feel like I'm very rarely having to use Chip and PIN which is great!

Reactions: iGeek2019

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
It is indeed; I just hope with the rules being introduced in 2020 that shops have to have contactless payments means more places accept >£30.

Figure nothing was announced about Apple Cash today at iPhone launch.

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Some info regarding contactless payments from Starling. It may be bank specific but I’d imagine it’s the same across the board.

won’t ask you for your PIN after five transactions and you’ll be able to pay through contactless as many times in a row as you like. The same goes for Digital Wallets such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, so if you haven’t started using yours yet, now’s the time.

https://www.starlingbank.com/blog/making-contactless-more-secure/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.