Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Glad you got it sorted out. Guess I ought to just read this particular thread rather than add to it as I’m clearly dumb AF ??‍♂️.

See you around everyone…
Haha, to be fair, would many people know this was something a retailer could do? I don't think so.

I wish Apple had just put me through to an actual Apple Pay expert so that they could've cleared it up for me in the first instance.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Noticed that Nando’s have updated their loyalty card so that’s it’s NFC enabled. Is this the first NFC loyalty card we’ve got in the UK?
5E5636A7-652D-4011-A043-538B42638D68.png

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Ooh that’s interesting. I forgot this was even a thing. I wonder why more places don’t do it?

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Ooh that’s interesting. I forgot this was even a thing. I wonder why more places don’t do it?
Unless it can be done in one tap with a card payment, it's a lot of work for the merchant with almost no benefit to the consumer of the merchant. It's not that hard to scan a barcode.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Texaco have just launched the Star Rewards app and that’s also NFC enabled when you add a card to the Wallet app.

It always surprises me Boots haven’t gotten around to it with their Advantage Card seeing as Walgreen’s (who own Boots) do.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Texaco have just launched the Star Rewards app and that’s also NFC enabled when you add a card to the Wallet app.

It always surprises me Boots haven’t gotten around to it with their Advantage Card seeing as Walgreen’s (who own Boots) do.
Until recently you couldn't even add your Advantage card into Wallet. Also it's very hit and miss if the terminals actually scan your bar code, so nfc would be great.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Noticed the badge icon on my Wallet app this morning and wondered what is was. They’ve added this to the app.
I noticed this as well, seemed to be just a way to explain that we’re not subjected to pin checks, as you would be using your physical card.
My only use for my physical card really seems to be at unattended petrol pumps!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I noticed this as well, seemed to be just a way to explain that we’re not subjected to pin checks, as you would be using your physical card.
My only use for my physical card really seems to be at unattended petrol pumps!
The last time I used my card was a few weeks ago when my Apple Pay didn't work one day. It got declined despite having sufficient funds available. I didn't know what to do for a few seconds as I've not used my physical card for so long.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
The last time I used my card was a few weeks ago when my Apple Pay didn't work one day. It got declined despite having sufficient funds available. I didn't know what to do for a few seconds as I've not used my physical card for so long.
This happens to me quite often in Mark & Spencers's self checkout, and they need to print out a barcode slip, then pay (with ApplePay) at a normal tile.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
This happens to me quite often in Mark & Spencers's self checkout, and they need to print out a barcode slip, then pay (with ApplePay) at a normal tile.
It’s never happened to me before. I don’t know if it’s because I spent £300 online using Apple Pay just a few hours and I don’t usually spend that much using Apple Pay online. It’s usually just using my card online. I’ve noticed a lot more websites are starting to accept Apple Pay online now. Once I used my card physically it seemed to reset the Apple Pay and it started working again.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I only use my physical card at Costco petrol station, even then it's like once or twice a month. Weirdly enough I never use my Apple Watch, always iPhone to use Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.