Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson
You have no hope against the government though. We've already established that. So maybe it's time to start living in the here and now, instead of pretending this is centuries ago.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Here:
g) Desires a legal means to carry a concealed weapon or firearm for lawful self-defense;
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;

This is for a conceal carry license. For a person to own a rifle or shotgun, it says they need to complete a course, but as far as I can tell, I could walk into a store in Florida, purchase a handgun, and pick it up 3 days later.

What's well regulated or well trained about that?

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
By my own mistake I forgot private firearms transactions. This means that in Florida a legal firearms owner can sell a gun to someone else who is legally elegible to own a gun within the same state. Without a waiting period. By federal law it is illegal to sell a firearm to someone from another state. It is also illegal to sell a gun to someone the seller might have a reason to believe is inelegible to own a gun.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

The government has tanks and missiles... so I don't think I'm gonna protect my myself from government tyranny with a rifle I purchase from Academy Sports.

:p

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
This is for a conceal carry license. For a person to own a rifle or shotgun, it says they need to complete a course, but as far as I can tell, I could walk into a store in Florida, purchase a handgun, and pick it up 3 days later.

What's well regulated or well trained about that?
What are you trying to imply?

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
That one does not need to be well trained to purchase a gun; in fact, quite the opposite.

BL.
Last time I checked, you can’t carry the gun unless it’s in a carrying case, or you have a concealed carry permit, because it’s illegal to open carry in Florida.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
That one does not need to be well trained to purchase a gun; in fact, quite the opposite.

BL.
That also means people that want to legitimately buy a gun don’t have to be subject to the slow and painful process of bureaucracy.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Last time I checked, you can’t carry the gun unless it’s in a carrying case, or you have a concealed carry permit, because it’s illegal to open carry in Florida.

I'm quoting you here:

"Criminals don’t follow the laws to begin with."

To answer your earlier question about what I'm implying, is that the 2nd amendment explicitly states a "well regulated militia." Since gun ownership in this country isn't anything close to well regulated," it was argued that well regulated actually means well trained. Oops on that one too.

Seriously, just say what we ALL KNOW to be true, and don't ask me to say what that is, because you already know, so you say it.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
The government has tanks and missiles... so I don't think I'm gonna protect my myself from government tyranny with a rifle I purchase from Academy Sports.

If the government was to use the military to take over our country, what do you think will happen?

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I'm quoting you here:

"Criminals don’t follow the laws to begin with."

To answer your earlier question about what I'm implying, is that the 2nd amendment explicitly states a "well regulated militia." Since gun ownership in this country isn't anything close to well regulated," it was argued that well regulated actually means well trained. Oops on that one too.

Seriously, just say what we ALL KNOW to be true, and don't ask me to say what that is, because you already know, so you say it.
If somebody is openly carrying a gun, then you know something is up. It could possibly mean that person wants to kill people. Then people that legally own and carry guns can take him down without waiting for the police. Do you have any better ideas if someone threatens you with a gun?

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸

I apolgize, I learned that quote was fake.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government..." -Alexander Hamilton

This is a real quote and I'll list sources to prove it. https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-04-02-0185
Read this and I again apologize for my error.

Reactions: MmkLucario

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If the government was to use the military to take over our country, what do you think will happen?

Try shooting a gun at the government and see what happens. ;)

Besides... doesn't the government already have control the country? What's there to take over?

And this whole notion, today, of having guns to protect against the government is kinda lopsided. Back when it was musket-vs-musket I could see what they were going for.

But like I said... the government and military today has waaay bigger guns than the people. And tanks, boats, planes, missiles, bombs, etc.

Anyway... I think this thread has lost the plot. As @Apple Fan 2008 said above... this is settled. Good talk, folks!

I originally jumped into this thread bemoaning the loss of my local Apple Store.

Have a good weekend people!

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
If somebody is openly carrying a gun, then you know something is up. It could possibly mean that person wants to kill people. Then people that legally own and carry guns can take him down without waiting for the police. Do you have any better ideas if someone threatens you with a gun?

This is delusional Rambo level bullish*t. Look into what actually happens in an active shooter situation, and someone responds with their guns, and police show up.

You guy keep ignoring that gun control works in plenty of parts of the world. There's good reason to think that it works. Yes, it would take a long time in the US, due to how many guns are actually out there, but there's a good reason to move in this direction, but gun proponents won't allow it, for reasons.

• Disagree
Reactions: icanhazmac

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Try shooting a gun at the government and see what happens. ;)

Besides... doesn't the government already have control the country? What's there to take over?

And this whole notion, today, of having guns to protect against the government is kinda lopsided. Back when it was musket-vs-musket I could see what they were going for.

But like I said... the government and military today has waaay bigger guns than the people. And tanks, boats, planes, missiles, bombs, etc.

Anyway... I think this thread has lost the plot. As @Apple Fan 2008 said above... this is settled. Good talk, folks!

I originally jumped into this thread bemoaning the loss of my local Apple Store.

Have a good weekend people!

The government would have to control the people’s minds in order to completely control the country. Instead of forcing the population to obey, they have to create a long process to change their minds. They don’t want to kill many innocent civilians which may cause people in the government to revolt, therefore, the people are not completely controlled.

But anyway, it was interesting talking to you, and sorry that you lost your local Apple Store.

Have a good weekend!

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
OPEN Carry being "something up".... i.e... BAD? NO, you cannot generalize that in the USA.

It depends on the state and locality. In my state, it's generally legal for an adult citizen to carry open or concealed, permit not required.

Yeah.... It is in the West.

----------------

As to mall violence, the apparent cause of the store closure: My "blame" is on the feral youth raised up by a good portion of society AND a society that no longer wants to tell anyone to behave or suffer any consequences for bad behavior. Once it gets that bad, then reaction/demand for self protection will logically follow.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
OPEN Carry being "something up".... i.e... BAD? NO, you cannot generalize that in the USA.

It depends on the state and locality. In my state, it's generally legal for an adult citizen to carry open or concealed, permit not required.

----------------

As to mall violence, the apparent cause of the store closure: My "blame" is on the feral youth raised up by a good portion of society AND a society that no longer wants to tell anyone to behave or suffer any consequences for bad behavior. Once it gets that bad, then reaction/demand for self protection will logically follow.
I was talking about Florida since it is illegal to openly carry in Florida and it might be an indication that something is wrong. Here in Alaska, you don’t need a permit to conceal carry or open carry.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
This is delusional Rambo level bullish*t. Look into what actually happens in an active shooter situation, and someone responds with their guns, and police show up.

You guy keep ignoring that gun control works in plenty of parts of the world. There's good reason to think that it works. Yes, it would take a long time in the US, due to how many guns are actually out there, but there's a good reason to move in this direction, but gun proponents won't allow it, for reasons.
You still haven’t answered my question. Do you have any idea on what to do if someone is threatening with a gun?

Reactions: jaymc

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022

----------------

I agree you.

I should have specified more in that post. Sorry to cause some confusion.

Reactions: Euroamerican

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

You are missing the point; how one carries a gun has nothing to do with being well trained enough to purchase a gun, especially in the Florida example provided.

BL.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
You are missing the point; how one carries a gun has nothing to do with being well trained enough to purchase a gun, especially in the Florida example provided.

BL.
So what do you think should be the qualifications to own a gun?

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
So what do you think should be the qualifications to own a gun?

Demonstrate that you are mentally stable.
Demonstrate that you understand gun safety.
Demonstrate that you understand how to own/operate the gun for which you will be licensed to use.
Demonstrate that you understand what a gun is to be used for, vs what it is not to be used for.
Be licensed to purchase and use a gun based on the above qualifications.

License subject to crimes committed, etc.

At an absolute minimum, and that's just off the top of my head.

• Angry
Reactions: jaymc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.