Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I hope the same thing doesn’t happen to my local store. The mall it’s in has had its share of random shootings the last couple years. Most recently one about a week ago. The next closest store is about two hours away.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
It's not "manipulation" it's called compression and its the result of using a longer focal length.
As a photographer, I was about to take offense at the term “manipulation” as well, (makes me think post processing,) but it’s not wrong. Changing the framing, distance, focal length, aperture, and shutter speed all manipulate the final photograph. For instance news outlets often choose tight framing to exaggerate a crowds’ size and wide framing to minimize its size.

However the original post would definitely have been clearer to say that it was a manipulative photo.

Last edited:

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
Not to mention liability. If someone shopping at an Apple Store caught a stray bullet they would absolutely sue Apple for wrongful death, having glass fronts, not having a moat/force field, etc.
I wish my Apple Store had a moat.

1677741005974.jpeg

(This is pretty close)

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
It started right after Katrina, Charlotte received a large immigration after that from all over the affected areas. Criminality started to spike and has been getting steadily worst.
From the UK looking in, guns at one thing we don’t have, we don’t need.

In NC guns sales have virtually doubled in the last six years, you have nearly 4 gun dealers for every one McDonald’s restaurant.

If you have people buying guns you must expect that they are going to use them. Perhaps the fault lies with your gun laws, not migrating people.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Why does this keep happening? The closing of stores in areas with high crime, I mean.
Not making sales is probably one of the bigger things but also keeping their employees safe, Apple stores is a high-value target due to the cost of the devices and the high and fast resell of them, and thieves/robbers may try to target an employee against their will to rob the store. The first Bestbuy I worked at which once was in a good area rapidly turned into a very high crime area, our sales started to slowly drop because people would go out of their way to go to our other stores in fear of getting mugged over what they just bought, it got to the point our store manager would have to hire off duty officers on the weekend nights to make sure customers got out safely. One night when we were closing and our manager was clearing the registers (We only had about 6 people working that night) someone forced their way into the store, pistol-whipped our AP guard and held up our manager, and took all the cash from the tills, he had 4 other of his buddies rush in and they stole a bunch of games and Xbox's and headphones. In all, they made out with around $50,000 worth of cash and merchandise. After that corporate decided to close our location down and we all got transferred to another store which is where I'm at today. I have to applaud Bestbuy for taking our safety seriously and not brushing it off. They now use that store as an outlet store that is only open a few hours a day and doesn't carry any high-end products, that whole area now has gotten so bad the city had to put a police substation in the plaza to help deter crime.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Unfortunately this is the one of many now that the ice has been broken.

It's time for Apple to move from developing personal health and communication products to personal protection products.
Somebody has to do it it might as well be Apple.:rolleyes:
huh... I thought you were going to go with Apple needs to move to developing mental health products

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
LMAO at everyone in this thread pretending to be baffled as to the root cause.

From the UK looking in, guns at one thing we don’t have, we don’t need.

In NC guns sales have virtually doubled in the last six years, you have nearly 4 gun dealers for every one McDonald’s restaurant.

If you have people buying guns you must expect that they are going to use them. Perhaps the fault lies with your gun laws, not migrating people.
have you registered your butter knife yet?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Shame to see this. I used to love Charlotte growing up in the 60s and 70s, but it is not the same place anymore. Same goes for many major cities in the US. Every major city I lived in is a disaster now. Urban decay en masse. I fear this will not be the last time a store is closed for this reason, give it another 5 to 10 years and we will see more follow; though moving them is questionable at best since the problem is now covering a much larger scope.

Reactions: Boyyai and triom

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Unfortunately this is the one of many now that the ice has been broken.

It's time for Apple to move from developing personal health and communication products to personal protection products.
Somebody has to do it it might as well be Apple.:rolleyes:
Maybe instead, Apple could branch out into... into... I don't know, how do you stop crime? iPolice?

I don't know... I really never pictured America as being such a lawless country til the past month or so, when I've finally started listening to all the folks saying they need a gun for personal protection. It's not something I can fathom... and I lived in one of the worst suburbs in Australia.

Americans at least have a perception that they will be a victim of crime that's twice as strong as that of Australians. And the figures pretty much back that up...

No idea how to remedy it... other than to point out that the disparity between the rich and the poor is massive in America, and when you have a lot of poor people, you'll have crime... (And that's not an attack on the poor, that's a very broken system; not much better here in Australia, with our own recent reports of business working to keep employees under paid...)

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Relocating somewhere there isn't going to be routine mass shootings?
Apple. Time to relocate to Australia. Sure, we have stores here already. Just bring the rest.

That... that... is AMAZING! LOL

Just for the record... cos sure, come to Australia to get away from America's gun culture - you're welcome, and - the reality is - we only actually lose around 30 people pear year to animals of all kinds. That is MUCH better odds than 20,000 gun murders per year (and 20,000 suicides... though I accept that if you wanna kill yourself, you'll find a way...)

Oh and... the number one animal killer in Australia over the past 20 years? Horses. Then cows. Then dogs. Ok, then we get to Kangaroos... an average of 2 deaths per year from Kangaroos...

But the main thing here - men make up the vast majority of these deaths - 67%. Cos men are dumb.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Most things have changed for the worse, sorry to say. Back in the 90s, I remember 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica being a hip, upscale, safe area. Downtown Seattle, Portland, the list goes on…
Crime has got worse in the US since around when the pandemic began. But the 90's was much worse, by pretty much any measure, by a large margin. Of course, that's taking the country as a whole. I'm sure you can pick out individual areas that don't match the overall trend.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Crime has got worse in the US since around when the pandemic began. But the 90's was much worse, by pretty much any measure, by a large margin. Of course, that's taking the country as a whole. I'm sure you can pick out individual areas that don't match the overall trend.
I grew up in Florida I never remember crime being a issue like it is today. I went to school in the 90's and It felt safe where as today we do fortunately have to worry about school shootings.

We were allowed to go out all day and play with our friends and it felt safe. I wouldn't let my kids out to play like we did! as I genuinely think there are too many weirdos about.

having said that, I do believe the news and internet travels a lot faster than how we received it in the 90's so that might be why things felt safer to me. out of sight and out of mind

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.