Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
My birthday has been on a Wednesday once...but the article is dated and sure looks like they put it back, then pulled it again, due to Apple loving the ability to run the slave labor assembly lines like they’ve been doing since the early 2000s.
yet, we pretend the slavery that was abolished in the USA was/is the only kind that still exists.
Slavery really? No apple does not have slaves working at the plant in China LMAO

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
No, this isn't right either.

So you agree the app should be removed as it's clear you disagree with the implications?

I never said that I agree it should be removed. Where did you read that?

There is a tremendous difference between omnipresent government tracking with the force of guns behind it than with people tracking the government who is attempting to destroy their freedom and take away their rights.

Reactions: 5105973

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I never said that I agree it should be removed. Where did you read that?

There is a tremendous difference between omnipresent government tracking with the force of guns behind it than with people tracking the government who is attempting to destroy their freedom and take away their rights.

Yes of course there is, so why are you comparing the two?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Yup.. Exactly. Apple made a mistake by allowing it in the first place. Making the correction wasn't easy.
Apple didn't make a mistake. There are plenty of apps STILL in the App Store that track the police. Apps like Waze, RadarBot, Speed Camera Radar, Police Scanner, Scanner Radio, Cobra iRadar, 5-0 Radio Pro, SpeedTrap Plus... there are many more.

This is a money issue. Apple wants to keep making it in China.
But of course... the keyboard warriors here will disagree. Problem is, they are just all talk. If they truly despised Apple for this, they would stop supporting Apple and leave the eco system immediately
Absurd challenges don't make good discourse. Absurd challenges are an indication of the lack of a lucid opinion though.
Police being tracked by the public is a sure fire way of increasing crime and terrorism.
There are plenty of apps on the App Store that track the police, yet despite your fear mongering...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Apple didn't make a mistake. There are plenty of apps STILL in the App Store that track the police. Apps like Waze, RadarBot, Speed Camera Radar, Police Scanner, Scanner Radio, Cobra iRadar, 5-0 Radio Pro, SpeedTrap Plus... there are many more.

This is a money issue. Apple wants to keep making it in China.

Absurd challenges don't make good discourse. Absurd challenges are an indication of the lack of a lucid opinion though.

There are plenty of apps on the App Store that track the police, yet despite your fear mongering...
You are correct that there are many apps in the USA that can be used to track police. As soon as one is used to violently attack police they will be pulled. Right now people use Waze to avoid speed traps. In that situation the cop is not getting attacked so Apple will keep the app.

Rioters are using this app to gang up and attack police. That’s why it’s getting pulled plain and simple
[automerge]1570712416[/automerge]
Apple and other companies need to diversify and get most of their manufacturing out of China.
Apple is diversifying its manufacturing but not for the reason you want it to. China is a major tech hub so there’s no reason why Apple wouldn’t have a manufacturing presence there

Reactions: iGeneo

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Yeah, F*** China. Buying Microsoft gear here on out. That government represents everything Steve stood against.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
It should have been blindingly obvious that when big tech decided to start silencing people - yes some of whom really were nutty, others were simply very conservative - that they would sooner or later abuse that power.
Who? Give us names. Plural. Names of mainstream conservative commentators who Apple has silenced. Btw, I can save you the effort: there are none. Was a rhetorical question. Even Sean Hannity, hardly a mainstream conservative, still has his Apple podcast. Teaching moment: when you go too far trying to make a point, you lose it.
Spare us the grandstanding. What devices aren't assembled in Chinese or other low-cost sweatshops??
As long as we’re casting a wider net, what major smartphone companies aren’t primarily focused on making money?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Then they should be removed.
There was talk about removing them not too long ago. The only reason they haven’t been removed is because someone hasn’t used them for a bad purpose. As soon as some crazy person decides to use Waze to find some cop on the side of the road and attack him it’ll get removed.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Tim Cook is a coward. He’ll speak up for human rights but only when/where it’s politically safe to do so. Maybe if more large western companies stood up to China rather than catering to their every demand China might back down. Right now when China says jump every big corporation says how high. Disgusting.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yeah, F*** China. Buying Microsoft gear here on out. That government represents everything Steve stood against.
Good luck with your Microsoft adventure. I would say we'll miss you but I’m sure you’ll be hanging out in the Apple forms just to tell everybody how great your Microsoft PC is LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: cfurlin and iGeneo

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Tim Cook is a coward. He’ll speak up for human rights but only when/where it’s politically safe to do so. Maybe if more large western companies stood up to China rather than catering to their every demand China might back down. Right now when China says jump every big corporation says how high. Disgusting.
Sorry but human rights doesn’t include violently attacking and ambushing police.

Reactions: iGeneo and Jsameds

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Just another American corporation bending over and taking it up the rear from China. Can't jeopardize the that Chinese money, screw morals. All Americans should be highly disturbed by how much influence China holds over American companies, it's almost like they are not American companies anymore. These CEOs will sit back and criticize our government all they want (which I have no problem with and our government deserves it at times) but, run and hide at the fear of the Chinese wrath. Disgraceful.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just another American corporation bending over and taking it up the rear from China. Can't jeopardize the that Chinese money, screw morals. All Americans should be highly disturbed by how much influence China holds over American companies, it's almost like they are not American companies anymore. These CEOs will sit back and criticize our government all they want (which I have no problem with and our government deserves it at times) but, run and hide at the fear of the Chinese wrath. Disgraceful.
Yep it’s so disgraceful how they won’t let criminals have an app to attack police. That’s absolutely terrible.

Reactions: iGeneo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.