Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
However, on Wednesday Apple was criticized by Chinese state media for its decision to make the app available. "Letting poisonous software have its way is a betrayal of the Chinese people's feelings," said the People's Daily.

it sure looks that way, Russell. I mean, today IS Thursday.
Wednesday doesn’t imply what Wednesday. I was born on a Wednesday but I don’t think it was the same one

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
All this hand wringing about it being a “tough call” for companies like Apple, Blizzard, NBA, etc.

There is nothing tough about it. It’s called principles and values, unless you consider profits and market share to be of equal or greater value.

What a bunch of hypocritical BS for these companies to go around lecturing the rest of us about their so-called progressive values when they turn around and kowtow to the Chinese Communist Party in the name of money.

With all the outrage expressed here, how many are going to vote with their wallet and send a message to Apple by not purchasing their products and services?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Talk about principles and hypocrisy...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Another reason I prefer Android over iOS. I own the device and not vice versa. I can load my own apk from a secure repository even if something is pulled from the official store.
But you’re posting a Mac forms LOL
[automerge]1570709712[/automerge]
With all the outrage expressed here, how many are going to vote with their wallet and send a message to Apple by not purchasing their products and services?

Either way I would be voting with my wallet because I don’t support violent protesters or rioters as we used to call them attacking police. I don’t support it in the US and I don’t support it anywhere else. This isn’t a war but if they want to start a war I’m for that

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Sad to see this, but when you're depending on for profit companies to protect human rights, you've already lost. This is an area for the U.S. government to do things with - really back 30 years ago before we allowed Chinese manufactured goods access to the U.S. market (to power up the Chinese economy and its authoritarian government). Hong Kong is in a sad place with no foreseeable exit, I'm quite surprised the Chinese government hasn't brought the army in at this point. The U.S. government should grant immigration to all the HK'ers that want to come here...spread out over some years of course. The current U.S. administration would never do this, JMHO.

As for Apple, bummer move, however the Chinese govt controls ~30% of their world marketshare - if Mr. Cook had taken a big stand and China locked them out of the market (which they'd do), after the following stock collapse, Mr. Cook would be replaced by a CEO who would do what China wants (and Apple's stock would go back up). Simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Based upon reading the comments, I thought you guys cared so much about the police, regardless of where they are. Or does this only apply to the US and if protestors are “The Left?”

If Apple does something here in the US regarding the police, commenters think that Tim Cook is “anti-police,” yet if it happens abroad as in China, commenters think that “free speech is dead.” ?? I’m not even religious, but oh lord. Can you guys please make up your minds already and stop applying a double standard to these issues. Thanks.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
It's all fine and cool as long as country that is opressed is not where you're living. Makes you wonder what would Apple do in '39.

Tim would make speeches about how important freedom and human rights are while telling shareholders their profits are best served by cooperating with local authorities as much as possible

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Based upon reading the comments, I thought you guys cared so much about the police, regardless of where they are. Or does this only apply to the US and if protestors are “The Left?”

If Apple does something here in the US regarding the police, commenters think that Tim Cook is “anti-police,” yet if it happens abroad as in China, commenters think that “free speech is dead.” ?? I’m not even religious, but oh lord. Can you guys please make up your minds already and stop applying a double standard to these issues. Thanks.
Agreed this is exactly my thoughts. There are people who believe police in the USA violate human rights and I’m sure it happens. Does this mean if an app in the USA was used by “protesters” to attack police with Molotov cocktails this would be OK?

Reactions: whoknows2597

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
I don’t know much about the app or even about the situation.

One thing to keep in mind that while we enjoy freedom of the speech here that is not written into the laws of other countries.

And as much as it stinks if you want to do business in those other countries you have to follow their laws.

Siri....play “I am proud to be an American”

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
The police are supposed to work for the public not maneuver in secret. The public should have absolute access to everything they do. Abuse is what happens in secret. The danger is what goes on in secret. The lack of transparency and accountability is the weakness.

Wow. So let's just let all the criminal gangs know the police are about to do a raid so they can stash all their gear.

You're a genius ?

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Wednesday doesn’t imply what Wednesday. I was born on a Wednesday but I don’t think it was the same one
My birthday has been on a Wednesday once...but the article is dated and sure looks like they put it back, then pulled it again, due to Apple loving the ability to run the slave labor assembly lines like they’ve been doing since the early 2000s.
yet, we pretend the slavery that was abolished in the USA was/is the only kind that still exists.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Such is the nature of modern consumption. You buy almonds and avocados even though they use way too much water. You buy diamonds from places that torture people to get them. You wear clothes made by children in sweatshops. You buy electronics from places where people end up killing themselves because the hours and lifestyle are so horrible. The reality is there’s lots of things we claim the highroad for. Yet when faced with it, we can’t actually commit ourselves to doing “the thing.” It inconveniences us. It costs us more money or makes us less money. What Apple did today, what the game companies just did last week, and what the NBA has also done, isn’t really any different than what any of you are doing every single day of your lives. This is the world.

Go plant a tree. Buy RED products. Wear rainbow pins. Pay your carbon credits. Shop at Whole Foods. Drive your Prius or Tesla. Tell yourself you’re “helping.” Smile numbingly in to that mirror.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
No, not everyone is a dangerous criminal, but dangerous criminals live among us and will exploit weaknesses in the system.

All I'm saying is the public shouldn't be able to track the police so I've no idea what the rest of your comment is about.

But the police should be able to track the public right? Cause they are always right, always just and blah blah blah. How about everyone know where everyone is and you also give up your privacy and let’s be done with it. If it’s all out in the open we know where the criminals are or aren’t.

Frankly the answer is more subtle and more contextual. In this particular case the context is in support of protestors exercising the right to peaceful free speech.

What is happening in Hong Kong is the local government kowtowing to China’s Communist Government (after the Chinese government basically “installed” the new Hong Kong leadership). Oh and yeah people peacefully protested that many months ago. It too annoyed the hell out of the Chinese but it didn’t escalate like these protests have.

Throw in local police to “stamp out” the protests. Basically insisting the people are trespassing and threatening then enforcing arrests which then lead to outrage and self defense by the public that then erupt into full blown riots.

The protesters want to know where the police are to enable them to protest peacefully without the police attempting to get involved (which they should not) assuming the protests remain peaceful.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Tim Cook: Hey look at us, we're WOKE as a company. Apple supports the rights of human beings everywhere!

Except, when it interferes with the real religion of Apple. Dollar signs.

I don't care what Apple does with Apps in HK. Communist China is going to steamroll the place anyway.

But don't sit on your high horse on human rights issues, tell ME how I should live my life, and what I should think when you're just another money grubbing slug like everyone else.

I don't care about the issues per se. All I care about is the quality of the product and if it fulfills my needs. So, I never engaged in boycotts. If I did, I would have to trash 3/4 of my music and never watch another feature film. I don't care about the politics of Singer-X or Actor #2. Just give me some decent entertainment for a while. I'll ignore your politics and enjoy the act.

What irks me is the hypocrisy of it. Tim Cook tries to ride the high horse, but he's on the dollar sign donkey like everyone else. Just make good products and can it.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
I bet if there was a IOS App on the Apple store that tracked protesters people would be up in arms about that app. But a app that tracks police is ok? If we do not have some kind of law their is only chaos. I believe in human rights but I also believe in law in order. People in the 70's protested peacefully, none of this violence. I think China as a country needs to progress democratically and move away from state controlled systems.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
But the police should be able to track the public right? Cause they are always right, always just and blah blah blah. How about everyone know where everyone is and you also give up your privacy and let’s be done with it. If it’s all out in the open we know where the criminals are or aren’t.

Frankly the answer is more subtle and more contextual. In this particular case the context is in support of protestors exercising the right to peaceful free speech.

What is happening in Hong Kong is the local government kowtowing to China’s Communist Government (after the Chinese government basically “installed” the new Hong Kong leadership). Oh and yeah people peacefully protested that many months ago. It too annoyed the hell out of the Chinese but it didn’t escalate like these protests have.

Throw in local police to “stamp out” the protests. Basically insisting the people are trespassing and threatening then enforcing arrests which then lead to outrage and self defense by the public that then erupt into full blown riots.

The protesters want to know where the police are to enable them to protest peacefully without the police attempting to get involved (which they should not) assuming the protests remain peaceful.

Yes the police should be able to track the public. That's how crimes are solved and criminals are stopped.

Reactions: russell_314

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA

Trust that some of us will not only be voting with our own wallets but the wallets of the collective enterprises that look to our counsel on how to invest their operational budgets on technology expenses.

Apple needs to chill out here. Many of us worked hard to support them when they were an underdog in the enterprise space. And that all can change again.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Official Apple statement.

EGfIGV0VAAAdRqw.jpg

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Bad choice Apple. I thought you would have more respect for the country and it’s values that made you so successful.

Reactions: Pikup Andropov

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
I am a 1000% complete free market capitalist. I don't like a lot of regulations, and am generally in favor of global free trade. But this is what happens when companies let money rule above all else. That's not how to run a business. China is not a surprise, people. They are a communist regime, and a command and control economy that think they can enjoy the upside of "capitalism" without all the pesky consumer feedback.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Trust that some of us will not only be voting with our own wallets but the wallets of the collective enterprises that look to our counsel on how to invest their operational budgets on technology expenses.

Would "some of us" include you, with respect to your own wallet?

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I am going to play devil's advocate and say that Apple did the right thing. There was nothing to be gained for them as a company and, dare I say, all the Apple customers who are not Hong Kong protesters interested in using that app. China is ruled by the Communist Party. Hong Kong is a Chinese city (de facto and is posed to become so de jure in 2049). Communist party is afraid of separatism like a plague - these are the facts. It would be strange to come do business in China and with China based on understanding of these facts and then do an about-face and start doing activism for human rights, etc.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
All you feeding greedy corps like Apple now acting like this wasn't expected?
Have some dignity for once, us consumers are to blame. The entire tech industry is pulling strings in the most abusive and hypocrite way possible (politics, privacy, right to repair, labor exploitation, tax evasion) and many of us only care about waiting in line for a damn phone and taking selfies with the present CEO.

This is the world we're shaping for the upcoming generations, censorship & privacy violations where people recognize more a corporate brand than any kind of native nature. You have more power than you think.

Reactions: mpuk and unclemax
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.