Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
There is one huge difference though. Tim Cook is american, not chinese, not swedish, not nigerian... As such he can only agree or disagree with american laws, try to influence them, try to change them etc.. As an individual of american nationality, he can only voice his personal opinion on what is happening in another country, but he is not supposed to use his company to change the laws of foreign countries.

I understand your point but I think it's more complex.

Nobody would be interested in Cook's opinion were he not CEO of Apple. Apple is a company with a huge presence in China.

Furthermore Cook has chosen to use the language of principle. He didn't say "I am a Democrat and oppose this or that law" he always says "this offends against a deeply held principle". Well, the litmus test of any principle is that one cannot pick and choose where it applies.

He has no vote in China of course and he does in America. But when it comes to outrageous abuses of power if one wishes to be principled there cannot be a line drawn at a border. This is not the question of whether the Japanese law on railway timetables is a good one or whether the French regulations on air conditioners need reforming. With China it is a moral question, it is a tyranny that murders political opponents and is ethnically cleansing the Uighur people and Cook, like anyone else, is well within his rights to criticise such tyrannies.

Cook is actually a decent man I think. Personally his sympathies are almost certainly with Hong Kong. But fear of losing money in China is the reason he is bowing down to the Chinese government. Now if he admitted that, said "Apple supports these principles but if it will cost too much money we abandon them - just like every other business" then fine, it would at least be honest. But does anyone expect Cook to stop virtue signalling?
[automerge]1570707460[/automerge]
I think you should do some research on the reasons and facts. The new law has been suspended and now those protesters want more. Why was there the new law? A man from Hong Kong killed his girlfriend here in Taiwan and fled back to Hong Kong. Yes he is in a jail now, but that is just because he stole her bank account. He has no crime for killing his girlfriend. Initially, all senators supported this new law, until the protests happened.

I am from Taiwan so I understand the biggest enemy for us is still the Communist Party of China, but we still need to know the facts. Freedom of speech doesn’t include illegal crimes.

You are right that the initial case behind all this was clearly an injustice and there should be some change because of it. But we cannot just blindly take at face value laws when we know the Chinese government is involved. They won't play fair, follow the rules, uphold the spirit of laws etc. It would be like expecting Hitler or Stalin to keep his promises.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Apple ( and other companies ) aren't political organisations. They can express their positions on various social subjects ( which Tim Cook often does), but at the end of the day they have to conform to whatever law is applicable in the country they are doing business in. And that's how it should be, even if that law sucks, even if that government is lead by morons. If there is a law that forces them to do something, they have to obey it , period.
The only either choice is to NOT do business in that country ( which could be the right choice sometimes ).

The only group that should be allowed to decide how things should be run in any country, are its native inhabitants, its people. Not foreign businesses.
It's either that , or pull out of the country ( which did work for South Africa for example, but I doubt it will work for China unfortunately)
Hong Kong is not ruled by China’s communist party at least not officially and not yet. So, Apple didn’t have to comply with the local laws. It folded to China’s pressure that came out of a newspaper. The government didn’t even have to say anything. They just let their lapdog bark a few times at Apple, and Cook soiled his pants.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
You absolutely have to work for the government or be a cop or something. Because that is the most ridiculous notion and most illogical conclusion to come to I have ever heard. Sounds like you hate freedom.

If you know where the police are, you also know where they aren't. Where they aren't is therefore a weak point and weak points will be exploited by criminals.

It doesn't take a genius to work that out.

I don't work for the government but my career is involved with stopping fraud. If there's a weak point, it will be exploited.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
These corporations like Apple that have CEOs take a social position and get involved politically can eat crow.

This is right up there with me compared to Nike and the Colin Kapernick situation. A corporation is going to put out multi billion dollar ad campaigns and tell me how to think politically and socially while they whip kids in sweatshops and pay them pennies on the dollar, and then turn around and preach to me about social justice?

Apple has joined them. Gotta protect that cheap labor.

I’ll be canceling my iCloud plan today and other services I have with Apple.

I don’t want to hear Tim Cook preach his social garbage ever again after this.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
These corporations like Apple that have CEOs take a social position and get involved politically can eat crow.

This is right up there with me compared to Nike and the Colin Kapernick situation. A corporation is going to put out multi billion dollar ad campaigns and tell me how to think politically and socially while they whip kids in sweatshops and pay them pennies on the dollar, and then turn around and preach to me about social justice?

Apple has joined them. Gotta protect that cheap labor.

I’ll be canceling my iCloud plan today and other services I have with Apple.
They put the app back as far as I know so have fun.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
If you know where the police are, you also know where they aren't. Where they aren't is therefore a weak point and weak points will be exploited by criminals.

It doesn't take a genius to work that out.

I don't work for the government but my career is involved with stopping fraud. If there's a weak point, it will be exploited.
Yeah figures. The whole “everyone is a dangerous criminal” mindset. No offense meant to you personally but it’s totally scary that this mentality exists in 2019. We already have a police state. I’m far less worried about fraud than I am about the government. And if people really knew what the government does behind closed doors, they would be too. Thankfully technology and transparency will start to shine a light on all that.

ryuok

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hong Kong
Shame on you TC! Please let Xi Jinping do the keynote next time since he seems to be the real boss.

May I also remind you that American consumers is your single biggest revenue source, followed by Europe. While kowtowing to China, show some respect to American consumers who believe in free speech and civil liberties.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
He is happy to grandstand and virtue signal on twitter about whether illegal immigrants should be deported from America or about bathroom laws for transgender people. But an actual tyranny, one currently engaged in ethnic cleansing and crushing peaceful political dissent? Ah, Cook pauses, they build our stuff cheap and it's a big market... best not rock the boat.

"He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day".

Hint: this isn't a Tim Cook quote.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Shame on you TC! Please let Xi Jinping do the keynote next time since he seems to be the real boss.

May I also remind you that American consumers is your single biggest revenue source, followed by Europe. While kowtowing to China, show some respect to American consumers who believe in free speech and civil liberties.
Sadly, absolute majority of American consumers wouldn’t know free speech or civil liberties from their rear end.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah figures. The whole “everyone is a dangerous criminal” mindset. No offense meant to you personally but it’s totally scary that this mentality exists in 2019. We already have a police state. I’m far less worried about fraud than I am about the government. And if people really knew what the government does behind closed doors, they would be too. Thankfully technology and transparency will start to shine a light on all that.

No, not everyone is a dangerous criminal, but dangerous criminals live among us and will exploit weaknesses in the system.

All I'm saying is the public shouldn't be able to track the police so I've no idea what the rest of your comment is about.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
No, not everyone is a dangerous criminal, but dangerous criminals live among us and will exploit weaknesses in the system.

All I'm saying is the public shouldn't be able to track the police so I've no idea what the rest of your comment is about.
The police are supposed to work for the public not maneuver in secret. The public should have absolute access to everything they do. Abuse is what happens in secret. The danger is what goes on in secret. The lack of transparency and accountability is the weakness.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Wow, no one noted they put the app back?? Hilarious. Anyway, neither removing the app nor putting it back had anything to do with morality.

Reactions: StyxMaker

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
They put the app back as far as I know so have fun.
They removed it a second time, hence the article that spawned this thread. Please try to keep up.
[automerge]1570708853[/automerge]
Wow, no one noted they put the app back?? Hilarious. Anyway, neither removing the app nor putting it back had anything to do with morality.
It was removed a second time.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
You are right that the initial case behind all this was clearly an injustice and there should be some change because of it. But we cannot just blindly take at face value laws when we know the Chinese government is involved. They won't play fair, follow the rules, uphold the spirit of laws etc.

The mistake that you're making is in thinking the private sector should act as if they're public servants. They're not. You should never really expect them to be. Private sector companies and their management are supposed to be looking out for their own interests. Sure, they also have public outreach and aspects of their business can benefit the general public. However, the international relations part is supposed to be handled primarily by the public sector and government. Those are the people that are supposed to be representing the best interests of the average citizen and also promoting democratic values. Take a look at the current administration: are they focusing on China's human rights violations? No. They've put all of the focus on trade issues. And they've removed the United States from the UN Human Rights Council.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
MacRumors is recycling old articles. There’s an updated article after this one where Apple put it back in the App Store

Edit. Did they remove it again? That wouldn’t make sense for them to change their mind after they made a decision

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Another reason I prefer Android over iOS. I own the device and not vice versa. I can load my own apk from a secure repository even if something is pulled from the official store.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
And this is acceptable?

"The app displays police locations and we have verified with the Hong Kong Cybersecurity and Technology Crime Bureau that the app has been used to target and ambush police"

Give me a break! People are protesting IN SUPPORT OF DEMOCRACY. Does anyone spouting this nonsense about a Communist totalitarian regime that now has a president that will be in office for LIFE remember the atrocities committed by this same regime?

Please go lookup the “1989 Tiananmen Square protests” also known as the “Tiananmen Square Massacre”.

Civilians and mostly college students in mainland China were protesting corruption in the communist party and advocating for:

1. freedom of the press
2. Freedom of speech
3. Freedom of association (all Chinese citizens must affiliate with the Communist party)

How were protests organized? They had sit-ins (peaceful and mostly silent) and hunger strikes while occupying Tiananmen Square as well as other supporting protests at 600 other global locations.

How did the Chinese Government handle the peaceful protesters? Oh they just called in the military, declared martial law and then the military opened fire on the protesters killing hundreds and wounding thousands. “THOUSANDS”

The west has grown too accustom to getting cheap goods from China while forgiving the regime for all its past and turning a blind eye to all current and future humanitarian crisis.

If you think money and investments are an excuse for this sort of behavior, you are morally incorrect. And the most ironic part of this human tragedy is that each person who just makes excuses to say this is ok is merely sealing their fate and future when the last few jobs and opportunities go eastward leaving them or their children in the proverbial poor house.

Nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished easily. Perhaps, indeed, sacrificing a few electronics and/or paying more for those items are well worth the investment in the future of our global societies.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
MacRumors is recycling old articles. There’s an updated article after this one where Apple put it back in the App Store

Edit. Did they remove it again? That wouldn’t make sense for them to change their mind after they made a decision
However, on Wednesday Apple was criticized by Chinese state media for its decision to make the app available. "Letting poisonous software have its way is a betrayal of the Chinese people's feelings," said the People's Daily.

it sure looks that way, Russell. I mean, today IS Thursday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.