Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
If I still worked at an Apple store I would refuse to wear a mask. They never actually gave the wearer any protection and they did not provide protection to other people. This covid crap needs to just end. It never will as long as companies and governments keep getting scared over rising cases. It's not rising cases that should matter. It's how severe they are. What about other diseases? Flu? Colds? Why are we not masking up when flu cases are on the rise?

Reactions: tonyr6 and msp3

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
>may 2020, literally just a few weeks in.

Not saying you're wrong, but this isn't helpful as it had such a limited and short term scope.
What was "limited and short term scope? The explanation had nothing to do with COVID, so the fact that it was "just a few weeks in" is irrelevant.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
That‘s not really going to work. Since the per-person PCR false positive rate for healthy subjects can be pegged somewhere around the 3% mark - even with a realistic cycle threshold value - then we are guaranteed 30,000 alleged cases for every million people tested. This means almost all of those 30k cases can be considered false positives. As soon as a new variant materialises then people will all rush out to be tested and voila! Outbreak. This is exactly how the UK was reportedly running at c.30k daily Omicron ’infections’ when they were testing one million people per day. Basically one news campaign will create the cases required to reinstate the mask mandate. Mathematical certainty.

I’m sure you’ll disagree and that’s fine but if you think there isn’t a false positive rate then you’ve been mugged off by media propaganda. All tests of this nature have a false positive rate, and when you are indiscriminately screening literal millions of asymptomatic subjects then this becomes a monumental problem. Mask mandates can’t be reinstated based on cases, because cases are meaningless. Mortality is the only metric that matters, and even then it’s often difficult to pin the blame on covid thanks to less than perfect reporting.

Follow the science, they say…unless the math gets in the way, in which case follow the government instead. Ever noticed how a surprise variant is ‘spotted’ somewhere, and the news story precedes the huge outbreak by at least a week? There’s never a surprise outbreak that is later attributed to the discovery of a new variant.
You managed to cram multiple conspiracy theories into the same post. Impressive. You definitely sound like a person who follows the science.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
If I still worked at an Apple store I would refuse to wear a mask. They never actually gave the wearer any protection and they did not provide protection to other people. This covid crap needs to just end. It never will as long as companies and governments keep getting scared over rising cases. It's not rising cases that should matter. It's how severe they are. What about other diseases? Flu? Colds? Why are we not masking up when flu cases are on the rise?
The flu is many times less contagious than Covid, and kills far less people. That is why we don’t mask up when flu cases are on the rise.

I now look forward to your reply where you pivot to a conspiracy theory or move the goalposts.

• Disagree
Reactions: tonyr6

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
At some point we're just going to have to accept it's not going away, and just carry on. Some countries seem further away from this inevitable realisation than others.

Reactions: planteater

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
So many liars and strong arming insults because people don't agree with your communist mask directives. Masks do nothing to prevent the spread. They barely mitigate if at all. Proven by the overwhelmed hospitals despite mandates. Anybody with eyeballs can see this. Even the politicians lying about masks don't wear them. Elitist do as I say not as I do. Pelosi, Newsome, et al. The incongruous data the shows infection rates where heavy mandates were. Or vice versa. Therefore correlating masks to prevention of the spread is inconclusive. And indoctrinating this mandate without any concrete justifiable data other than to appear to be doing something is just barbaric. ANd the fact that people from all levels of intellect disagree on this also more evidence that contradicts the mask mandate narrative.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
So many liars and strong arming insults because people don't agree with your communist mask directives. Masks do nothing to prevent the spread. They barely mitigate if at all. Proven by the overwhelmed hospitals despite mandates. Anybody with eyeballs can see this. Even the politicians lying about masks don't wear them. Elitist do as I say not as I do. Pelosi, Newsome, et al. The incongruous data the shows infection rates where heavy mandates were. Or vice versa. Therefore correlating masks to prevention of the spread is inconclusive. And indoctrinating this mandate without any concrete justifiable data other than to appear to be doing something is just barbaric. ANd the fact that people from all levels of intellect disagree on this also more evidence that contradicts the mask mandate narrative.
There is little to no disagreement from actual experts on these topics. Crackpot Twitter experts and Youtube doctors don’t quality, sorry.

This is a once a century pandemic, so there is going to be some course correction and reaction to new information, but as I already tried helping you understand yesterday, masks have been proven to reduce cases, as have vaccines, and that’s the best we can do right now. No one is controlling your life by asking you to wear a mask at a store, or at work.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
There is little to no disagreement from actual experts on these topics. Crackpot Twitter experts and Youtube doctors don’t quality, sorry.

This is a once a century pandemic, so there is going to be some course correction and reaction to new information, but as I already tried helping you understand yesterday, masks have been proven to reduce cases, as have vaccines, and that’s the best we can do right now. No one is controlling your life by asking you to wear a mask at a store, or at work.
Wait you actually think I get my mask info from Twitter and youtube? lol. You make a lot of assumptions. We've had other pandemics. They just were shorter lived. Swine flu(H1N1) 2009 for example. So no not a once a century. H3N2 in 1968. Last I checked that's 54 yrs ago not 100. H2N2 Virus(1957-58).

Reactions: tonyr6

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
My office removed the mask mandate and we had 1/3 our staff get sick. I chose to continue wearing a mask and had to work with no support staff and deal with angry clients because of the wait times. I was so run down and tired I had to use some of my vacation to rest. Total BS and completely unfair because I chose to do the right thing and everyone else jumped at the opportunity to take their masks off ASAP.

I still have to come in on my days off because staff is calling in sick. I haven’t been sick for as long as I’ve been wearing a mask. I just get burned out from covering everyone else.
So the other 2/3 of the staff who didn't get sick... did they all keep wearing a mask like you?

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Wait you actually think I get my mask info from Twitter and youtube? lol. You make a lot of assumptions. We've had other pandemics. They just were shorter lived. Swine flu(H1N1) 2009 for example. So no not a once a century. H3N2 in 1968. Last I checked that's 54 yrs ago not 100. H2N2 Virus(1957-58).
The last time the world had a pandemic as bad as this one was the Spanish Flu about 100 years ago.

And yes, I am making assumptions because you are using the same tired arguments people in very specific places make. When people talk about communism, and elites, it’s very easy to immediately know where you are getting your information because there are only specific types of people using that type of language in relation to a pandemic, and let me give you a hint. It’s not experts on this topic using that language.

You reveal way more than you think by the way you discuss these things.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
A virus is smaller than the holes in a mask. The CDC had put out an info graphic saying they don’t protect against smoke. That’s big particles you can see.
And the shot, well the Pfizer document dump showed it actually only has a 12% efficacy rate. And it has 9 pages of side effects and repeated use weakens the immune system.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't understand how requiring masks only for employees helps either employees or customers. Not that I think either group should be required to wear them at this point.

Looking more broadly, employees can go out without masks in a variety of environments outside of work, but suddenly requiring masks in this one scenario somehow protects them?
I believe yes. The thought, imo, is any little protection helps. Employees wearing masks lower their probability of getting the virus or transmitting the virus. What that probability is, I'm leaving for another day.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
A virus is smaller than the holes in a mask. The CDC had put out an info graphic saying they don’t protect against smoke. That’s big particles you can see.
And the shot, well the Pfizer document dump showed it actually only has a 12% efficacy rate. And it has 9 pages of side effects and repeated use weakens the immune system.
Nope.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
As the article explains, your numbers are from a misreading of those documents.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?
This is the world we live in now. People just believe whatever sources for “information“ they want to.

This type of behavior has really seen an increase since the U.S elected a president who constantly talked this way. It’s empowered people to just go with that type of thinking instead of trusting people who actually are experts.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
How are we over two years into this thing and you still don't understand why people are asked/required to wear masks? It's not to "outrun" or "prevent" the pandemic—it's to keep the numbers down to a manageable number so there are hospital beds available for the people who end up in the hospital with it. That's not to mention all the non-Covid-infected people who still need access to the hospital.
I totally agree with your reasoning. Unfortunately, if you look at CDC guidance, it's based on transmission and infection rates, NOT hospital capacity, ICU availability, ventilator availability, doctor staffing, etc. These are the things that government should focus on when weighing whether to impose restrictions on people. If we could have kept the debate centered on what restrictions were necessary to protect the common good (NOT individuals), we would have had far fewer restrictions and for shorter time periods. The fact is that politicians (and power structures) have an affinity for control and authority, so it's hard to get them to give it up or not exercise it. It's too bad masks got politicized - many left-leaning progressives were at fault for parroting "follow the science" messages without contemplating the actual need for such public policy. They refused to listen to any "anti-mask-mandate" arguments and were just as blind to facts as they accused the other side of being. As a progressive, I was a figurative outcast amongst my peer group for daring to question some of the pandemic restrictions at times.

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
This is the world we live in now. People just believe whatever sources for “information“ they want to.

This type of behavior has really seen an increase since the U.S elected a president who constantly talked this way. It’s empowered people to just go with that type of thinking instead of trusting people who actually are experts.
And the current regime is any better? Not saying the previous one was any better, but anyone thinking that the administration they support is infallible, needs a reality check. Inflation is an out of control, runaway train, the likes that haven't been seen in 50 years. (Cue the blame on the previous administration and this one is having to deal with it comments.)

The problem is people have become polarized and think that their way is the only way. 8 billion people on this earth and we are becoming a species that does not understand human individuality.

Reactions: msp3 and planteater

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020

It is interesting that you state "little to no disagreement from actual experts", but I would posit that what the "experts" say in sound bites, news conferences, and congressional testimony isn't science, it's just their particular take or perspective on science. The real science is in peer-reviewed research papers. How many have you read? Even in those posted on the CDC website with "masks help"-type headlines or links, when you get down the the facts, they are very sketchy. Many rely on post-event self-reporting of mask usage (i.e. - calling people who have tested positive and asking them about their mask-wearing behavior over the past 2 weeks). Besides the obvious bias and inaccuracies that result from subject self-reporting (especially post-event), there are significant experimental design challenges in trying to scientifically gauge mask efficacy. Finally, the published papers (such as on CDC website) often, deep in the report, state that the reduction in transmission observed in mask wearers was NOT statistically significant. So, they will say up front (on TV or in front of congress) "masks have been shown to be effective", but they won't admit that it wasn't statistically significant. CDC even began the pandemic by announcing that the science had shown that masks are not effective and were not recommended. But politicians quickly pressured them to change their official stance. I wish more of my fellow progressives would follow the actual science rather than just shout "follow the science" at their political adversaries. Aren't we supposed to be the ones who do the research and accept science, even when it challenges our beliefs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.