Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
And the current regime is any better? Not saying the previous one was any better, but anyone thinking that the administration they support is infallible, needs a reality check. Inflation is an out of control, runaway train, the likes that haven't been seen in 50 years. (Cue the blame on the previous administration and this one is having to deal with it comments.)

The problem is people have become polarized and think that their way is the only way. 8 billion people on this earth and we are becoming a species that does not understand human individuality.
I thought it was all Putin's fault now?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I totally agree with your reasoning. Unfortunately, if you look at CDC guidance, it's based on transmission and infection rates, NOT hospital capacity, ICU availability, ventilator availability, doctor staffing, etc. These are the things that government should focus on when weighing whether to impose restrictions on people. If we could have kept the debate centered on what restrictions were necessary to protect the common good (NOT individuals), we would have had far fewer restrictions and for shorter time periods. The fact is that politicians (and power structures) have an affinity for control and authority, so it's hard to get them to give it up or not exercise it. It's too bad masks got politicized - many left-leaning progressives were at fault for parroting "follow the science" messages without contemplating the actual need for such public policy. They refused to listen to any "anti-mask-mandate" arguments and were just as blind to facts as they accused the other side of being. As a progressive, I was a figurative outcast amongst my peer group for daring to question some of the pandemic restrictions at times.
With over a million people dead and one of the highest per capita death rates in the world, the answer wasn't "far fewer restrictions".

To Monday Morning Quarterback the situation, I'd say the answer was more likely restrictions across the whole country instead of state by state. KN95 or above masks for everyone. Required indoors around others. Keep everyone except essential workers home or outdoors for spring and summer 2020 with the goal of opening schools in Fall 2020 with regular testing. Then get everyone vaccinated winter/spring 2021.

If we didn't politicize the situation, we'd be looking at 20% of the deaths we see now.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
With over a million people dead and one of the highest per capita death rates in the world, the answer wasn't "far fewer restrictions".

To Monday Morning Quarterback the situation, I'd say the answer was more likely restrictions across the whole country instead of state by state. KN95 or above masks for everyone. Required indoors around others. Keep everyone except essential workers home or outdoors for spring and summer 2020 with the goal of opening schools in Fall 2020 with regular testing. Then get everyone vaccinated winter/spring 2021.

If we didn't politicize the situation, we'd be looking at 20% of the deaths we see now.
Totally not doable, this is not China even though some wish it were

Reactions: remington79

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It is a fact that this not a dictatorship,
Correct. But my plan had nothing to do with a dictatorship. You're just creating a strawman to argue against.

you obviously wish it were.
Not in any way. A constitutional republic and representative democracy is perfectly capable of the actions I suggested.

Last edited:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
The last time the world had a pandemic as bad as this one was the Spanish Flu about 100 years ago.

And yes, I am making assumptions because you are using the same tired arguments people in very specific places make. When people talk about communism, and elites, it’s very easy to immediately know where you are getting your information because there are only specific types of people using that type of language in relation to a pandemic, and let me give you a hint. It’s not experts on this topic using that language.

You reveal way more than you think by the way you discuss these things.
lol, ok. Thanks for the feedback. We'll take that into consideration and get back to you. Thank you for revealing who you are with personal attacks. Clearly demonstrating you're on the losing end. Evidenced by the others in this thread that have retorted your comments. Thank you for you continued engagement. It's excellent learning experience to showcase the types of toxic people that exist in this world that sit all day in threads like these and your Twitter accounts and Youtube accounts, aggregating pseudo-intellectual information to posit responses to reinforce the narrative you wish to push onto anyone that will indulge your epithets regarding the opposition to the mask mandate narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: MorganB

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
If I still worked at an Apple store I would refuse to wear a mask. They never actually gave the wearer any protection and they did not provide protection to other people. This covid crap needs to just end. It never will as long as companies and governments keep getting scared over rising cases. It's not rising cases that should matter. It's how severe they are. What about other diseases? Flu? Colds? Why are we not masking up when flu cases are on the rise?

Maybe because influenza infections don't cause hospitals to be overwhelmed to the point where their doors are closed to others needing more routine (auto accidents, stroke, heart attack, etc) medical care, with resulting intubations and deaths causing nurses and doctors to be overworked and severely stressed to their breaking point?

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Maybe because influenza infections don't cause hospitals to be overwhelmed to the point where their doors are closed to others needing more routine (auto accidents, stroke, heart attack, etc) medical care, with resulting intubations and deaths cause nurses and doctors to be overworked and severely stressed to their breaking point?
And neither does covid now thanks to vaccines, not one hospital is over run now

agregson

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2020
I still wear a mask when around other people. I recently had Covid, and it was horrible. I had such a mix of symptoms, and some were so freakish, that I definitely do not want to get it again. How did I get it? The wife took a flight to the west coast for a conference and sat beside a kid who wasn't wearing a mask much of the flight. (Being after noted virologist and epidemiologist Ed Bastian, CEO of Delta, declared masks didn't solve anything and then had to retract it) She was symptomatic by the time she was heading home and wore her mask the whole time on the flights.

I also don't want to get out of practice of wearing masks for when the first more deadly variant comes out. Covid is still out there, and it is mutating like crazy. They have found thousands of variants in the sewers of major cities. Memories of finding out that Ebola is still out there too, it just has a habit of mutating into and out of a really incredibly life threatening form. It goes from deadly/lethal to benign and back again.

If I was an employer that had people the company had spent a long time training for their jobs, I would strongly recommend that they use everything available to protect themselves, especially now.

I have been in several stores in the past 3 weeks where employees are wearing masks. That is out of about 4 total trips out foraging. I don't go out unless I really have to.
I wear a mask when I am around others. I also test twice a week and expect anyone visiting my house to do the same. I have underlying health conditions so maybe more cautious.

I am in NI (part UK part EU and party nobody knows what to make of it all) and almost nobody wears masks now. Infection rates remain high despite dramatic drop in testing. I take part in several long term studies (ONS and Zoe) and am asked to test and report. I also wear FFP3 masks that are very secure fitting when I am out and never remove it in public spaces. I also use HEPA filters in house or spaces when I meet others - also useful for allergic rhinitis which I suffer from quite badly.

I have a number of friends who have had CoVid and not one reported a mild illness they would like to repeat.

One had a slight fall before Christmas and had to attend A&E. While there he acquired it so his infection nosocomial. He was wretched for 8-10 weeks and continues to suffer ongoing symptoms - I notice he is very tired, yawns a lot when speaking, often stumbles remembering names and simple facts. I mentioned it to him recently in case others were too polite to point out the issues. He said he was well aware of it and had not “been right” since the infection.

Another continues to struggle with memory. When we speak simple names and things he would remember he know stumbles over often resorting to words such as “thingy” or “you met him at the … “ or just ignores and changes subject.

Two are dead. One suffered severe liver damage and needed a transplant in 2020. He had no underlying health conditions. He acuired the omicron variant in September 2021 and was dead by October. Another suffered multiple organ failure and died a wretched death. He also had no underlying health conditions.

All had and have been fully vaccinated at the earliest opportunity.

Amother friend who is a GP had to attend a care home numerous times. On one occasion there was a requirement to go from room to room and certify multiple deaths - it ran to double figures. Not an easy memory or morningt to forget.

I have several friends who are nurses and doctors. The strain on them is and has been immense. The stress they have endured and the harrowing situations they have had to deal with are not well recognised by the wider public. Surely their role and task deserves some respect and any action we can take that reduces the demand on their services must be worthy of consideration out of courtesy, respect and thanks.

I don’t think we need to stop life or lockdown as I am not sure that is needed now. I do think we need some mitigations and recognition that this is and remains a dangerous virus. If allowed to continue to spread then mutation is inevitable. How it will react when multiple infections occur with other adenoviruses, rhino viruses or influenza viruses is not well understood. If inflections occur in people with reduced immune systems the inability to eliminate it could prove dangerous. There is also the issue of vaccine efficacy and response to continued mutation. I am somewhat concerned that vaccine methodolofy has not moved along a lot since the initial batches in late 2020 specifically targetting one particular attack vector of the initial variant.

I don’t think wearing masks to protect others is too much to ask or too much to ask to allow life to continue largely as normal. Add on a little hygiene, care for others, regular cleaning and a focus on clean air and clean spaces and I think life can be as normal as not to offer too much hinderance.

I guess I am in the monitory. I have had my say! Coffee time ;-)

Reactions: lcubed and MorganB

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I wear a mask when I am around others. I also test twice a week and expect anyone visiting my house to do the same. I have underlying health conditions so maybe more cautious.

I am in NI (part UK part EU and party nobody knows what to make of it all) and almost nobody wears masks now. Infection rates remain high despite dramatic drop in testing. I take part in several long term studies (ONS and Zoe) and am asked to test and report. I also wear FFP3 masks that are very secure fitting when I am out and never remove it in public spaces. I also use HEPA filters in house or spaces when I meet others - also useful for allergic rhinitis which I suffer from quite badly.

I have a number of friends who have had CoVid and not one reported a mild illness they would like to repeat.

One had a slight fall before Christmas and had to attend A&E. While there he acquired it so his infection nosocomial. He was wretched for 8-10 weeks and continues to suffer ongoing symptoms - I notice he is very tired, yawns a lot when speaking, often stumbles remembering names and simple facts. I mentioned it to him recently in case others were too polite to point out the issues. He said he was well aware of it and had not “been right” since the infection.

Another continues to struggle with memory. When we speak simple names and things he would remember he know stumbles over often resorting to words such as “thingy” or “you met him at the … “ or just ignores and changes subject.

Two are dead. One suffered severe liver damage and needed a transplant in 2020. He had no underlying health conditions. He acuired the omicron variant in September 2021 and was dead by October. Another suffered multiple organ failure and died a wretched death. He also had no underlying health conditions.

All had and have been fully vaccinated at the earliest opportunity.

Amother friend who is a GP had to attend a care home numerous times. On one occasion there was a requirement to go from room to room and certify multiple deaths - it ran to double figures. Not an easy memory or morningt to forget.

I have several friends who are nurses and doctors. The strain on them is and has been immense. The stress they have endured and the harrowing situations they have had to deal with are not well recognised by the wider public. Surely their role and task deserves some respect and any action we can take that reduces the demand on their services must be worthy of consideration out of courtesy, respect and thanks.

I don’t think we need to stop life or lockdown as I am not sure that is needed now. I do think we need some mitigations and recognition that this is and remains a dangerous virus. If allowed to continue to spread then mutation is inevitable. How it will react when multiple infections occur with other adenoviruses, rhino viruses or influenza viruses is not well understood. If inflections occur in people with reduced immune systems the inability to eliminate it could prove dangerous. There is also the issue of vaccine efficacy and response to continued mutation. I am somewhat concerned that vaccine methodolofy has not moved along a lot since the initial batches in late 2020 specifically targetting one particular attack vector of the initial variant.

I don’t think wearing masks to protect others is too much to ask or too much to ask to allow life to continue largely as normal. Add on a little hygiene, care for others, regular cleaning and a focus on clean air and clean spaces and I think life can be as normal as not to offer too much hinderance.

I guess I am in the monitory. I have had my say! Coffee time ;-)
I am not saying you are lying but I have known plenty of people with covid including my father that was in the hospital and none of them have long term issues yet when I check out reddit or other forums everyone has long covid and then have all been reinfected and they know tons of others with long covid, and not surprisingly these comments are from people that love masks and lockdowns, your story may be true but there are people out there with agendas exploting the people that actually do suffer

Reactions: remington79

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
A majority of the country does not social distance or use masks, that is just a fact so no point in discussing further

For sure on that being you're just another keyboard warrior virologist/epidemiologist with an agenda to promote.

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
I am not saying you are lying but I have known plenty of people with covid including my father that was in the hospital and none of them have long term issues yet when I check out reddit or other forums everyone has long covid and then have all been reinfected and they know tons of others with long covid, and not surprisingly these comments are from people that love masks and lockdowns, your story may be true but there are people out there with agendas exploting the people that actually do suffer
When I caught it last summer, fever for about a day and a half, and then just some lethargy for the following week. I've had stomach bugs and flu that knocked me out for longer.
A majority of the country does not social distance or use masks, that is just a fact so no point in discussing further
In the part of the country where I reside, it's probably about 1:500 that wear a mask, people are dropping like flies in the street. /s

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
When I caught it last summer, fever for about a day and a half, and then just some lethargy for the following week. I've had stomach bugs and flu that knocked me out for longer.

Conversely I have a female colleague at work who got it mid 2020 and has had lingering problems ever since. She was a triathlete who now, still, struggles to run a few miles

There is a lot of variability here and experiences are very subjective with this.

Reactions: MorganB

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I'm always amazed at the people that say that because it didn't happen to them it can't happen to other people. Just amazed... Sure, some people will exaggerate their symptoms, but many DO have longer lasting symptoms. I still feel rather tired throughout the day, which is odd. It's a tired that caffeine can't seem to touch. That's not something that I ever remember experiencing before my run with Omicron. People that had the earlier variants have reported far more severe long term symptoms, and including death. The biggest most deadliest long term potential effect of the newer variants is clots. People survive the encounter, and then have a stroke, or in their lung, kidney, leg, etc. Just apparently out of the blue, they crash. Liver failure is happening rather unexpectedly as well.

But, many people are totally symptom free.

If you are, thank your lucky stars, and genetics. MANY people have not been so lucky. From early on, and continuing researchers have been surprised at the effects the virus has caused in some people. Some seem to get a different list of symptoms. Some seem just more prone to getting it, and a small number seem to have some form of partial or total immunity. Either way, it is a virus, and it is mutating like crazy. To assume it will be as muted as it is currently is assuming quite a lot. People shouldn't kid themselves. The party of life seems to not care what happens to them, they are just 'pushing the conflict'. It's another wedge issue to flog. Take care of yourselves, they won't, no one else will either. It's everyone for themselves, and 'all for one and one for all, united we stand divided we fall' is gone. It's a whole lot more of a meaner and more selfish world.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
Let’s turn everything upside down over something with a 98% survival rate. Most of the deaths involve multiple comorbidities.
1 million deaths is way too high of a number. My friends grandma died of a heart issue she was late 70s and was on her deathbed. But because she caught Covid the hospital labeled that as the cause even though it wasn’t. The family is still trying to get it changed. There are cases of people dieing of gunshot wounds but because they were Covid positive that’s what cause of death was listed as. The thing is hospitals got money for Covid patients and deaths.
In addition the PCR tests that were used for the longest time couldn’t tell the difference between the flu and Covid. Many of those Covid positive results were probably just flu. None of the numbers that have been reported on anything are reliable and should not be believed. Everything and most of the means to obtain the info are not accurate. They’re not going to take the time to sequence every test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.