Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
64-bit probably won't work

Trekkie said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro2nie
If I have a 64-bit Quad Xeon Mac Pro, Do I need Windows SP2 64-bit edition, in order to install it?​

No, the Xeon 5100s are backwards compatible and work just fine on regular Windows SP2.
Does Apple claim that Boot Camp 1.1 has 64-bit Windows drivers?

If not, then the Apple driver CD won't have compatible drivers for the x64 edition of Windows.

You might be lucky and find that the Windows-supplied drivers are OK (since the Mac Pro uses standard chips for the most part) in x64.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
7on said:
If you bought a Macintosh after June no firmware update is needed.
True because they already have the bios part loaded up. I.E. the update is already applied.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
AidenShaw said:
Does Apple claim that Boot Camp 1.1 has 64-bit Windows drivers?

If not, then the Apple driver CD won't have compatible drivers for the x64 edition of Windows.

You might be lucky and find that the Windows-supplied drivers are OK (since the Mac Pro uses standard chips for the most part) in x64.

Also there is no reason to use XP-64. It's one of the most least supported OSes i've seen in a long time. For microsoft it was probably just a proof of concept to help build the 64-bit vista.

eMagius

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2006
Macnoviz said:
Wikipedia has been found equally accurate as the encyclopedia britannica, just thought I'd let you know

Only according to a falsified and discredited study.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
matthewroth said:
me thinks a tri boot is in order.

1.66Mhz mini running 27.5GB partitions of

OS X TIGER
BOOTCAMP XP
OS X LEOPARD BETA

i have 2 HUGE external drives as well so i can see how drive formats work (as well as try some tasty time machine)

any more tests any one would like me to run, i am also interested as to weither front row is on Leopard?

Matt.

How about a quad-boot?

Tiger & Leopard
XP & Vista

:p

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
TBi said:
Also there is no reason to use XP-64. It's one of the most least supported OSes i've seen in a long time. For microsoft it was probably just a proof of concept to help build the 64-bit vista.
Yes, driver support for XP x64 is thin - but the drivers for many mainstream workstation are available (since Windows 2003 x64 drivers are the same).

XP x64 is getting significant use in high-end workstation applications, but not for pro-amateur desktop use.

The people who put $16K or more of memory into a workstation for CAD/CAM and other big apps aren't bothered that drivers for webcams aren't available. ;)

There was no need for a "proof of concept" 64-bit port - Windows has been running 64-bit on Alpha since 2000 (never released - that was the proof of concept), and has been shipping on IA64 and x64 in server guise since 2003.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Zadillo said:
Actually the Wikipedia entry on this is sourced:

http://www.futureofthebook.com/stories/storyReader$605

The main point they make there is more that the quote you are using is, at best, not completely accurate, but is instead a variant of the original phrase.

There does seem to be some question though about whether it is actually written by Franklin or not:

Note that Wikipedia actually SUPPORTS you, saying that it is most likely actually a Franklin quote (and arguing that this is further supported by another similar Franklin proverb: ""Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.")

I know we're OT here, so I'll simply say: Thanks for the correction. I'll just remove the attribution; I stand by the sentiment and most people will know I'm not claiming credit for it.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
AidenShaw said:
Yes, driver support for XP x64 is thin - but the drivers for many mainstream workstation are available (since Windows 2003 x64 drivers are the same).

XP x64 is getting significant use in high-end workstation applications, but not for pro-amateur desktop use.

The people who put $16K or more of memory into a workstation for CAD/CAM and other big apps aren't bothered that drivers for webcams aren't available. ;)

There was no need for a "proof of concept" 64-bit port - Windows has been running 64-bit on Alpha since 2000 (never released - that was the proof of concept), and has been shipping on IA64 and x64 in server guise since 2003.

Good points! Forgot about the old Alpha versions. I'd say you are right about XP-64 being more for pro users. I hate when people prove me wrong :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
AidenShaw said:
How about an octo-boot?

Tiger & Leopard
XP & Vista x86
XP & Vista x64
Linux x86
Linux x64

Don't forget BSD and maybe Win 2k :)

Dectal boot (or however you call it :p)

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
tobyg said:
Are you really sure it's fast? Try running some HD tests. I bet your HD is slow, very slow. There are issues with SATA speeds, and my test indicated they have not fixed it yet, even with the latest drivers in Bootcamp 1.1

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/223679/

Yeah it seems plenty fast to me. The HD format (150GB Raptor) too a really long time, like 45 minutes. Everything seems really snappy now that the drivers are installed. I haven't noticed the hard drive running slow at all. I installed Guild Wars and played for a short while and it launched and ran really fast.

MacProDude

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
SF Bay Area, CA
Since I only have a WinXP upgrade disk, I just decided to pull the HD from the PC I'm replacing into my Mac Pro (setting it to cable select mode), booted up in windows, and installed the bootcamp 1.1 drivers.

I'm having a few problems in Device Manager, including an unknown USB as well as a PCI devices and a "Base System Device" w/o a driver. One thing I noticed looking at the Intel docs is that it mentioned the MPS HAL...I see in mine that XP is using the ACPI multiprocessor HAL.

Can someone who did a new XP install w/ boot camp do me a favor and check their device manager and see if theirs is MPS multiprocessor or ACPI multiprocessor? I may need to install anew, after all (?)

Device manager: View: Devices by connection. It should be the first or second level item.

Thanks!

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
morespce54 said:
Sorry if I missed something but is this update available through Apple Software Update?

Nope, you have to download Boot Camp 1.1 from Apple.com/bootcamp.

xserve

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
new iSight driver for OS X included !!!

Somehow, Apple updates the OSX iSight driver with BootCamp 1.1

A deeper look into "Install Boot Camp Assistant.mpkg" package content, you'll see a "iSightDriver.pkg" file inside. Look inside "iSightDriver.pkg" and u'll see a "Archive.pax.gz". If you extract this file, you'll see "IOUSBFamily.kext" and "QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component".

I have no idea why Apple includes a OSX iSight driver in the BootCamp Installer. Anyone know why???

note: this iSightDriver.pkg is iSight driver for OS X, not Windows.

UPDATE 1:

before installing Boot Camp 1.1, System Profiler reports:

before Boot Camp 1.1 : Built-in iSight Version 1.55
after Boor Camp 1.1: Built-in iSight Version 1.82

-
Lok (xserve AT gmail.com)

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
cparker said:
Uhh..because Windows Live Messenger DOES support video conferencing? Because I'm looking at it right now on my iMac with Windows Live Messenger, and I can see myself with the iSight cam with the new drivers within Live Messenger?

"sheesh" indeed...

Slow down there cowboy...Windows Messenger uses ANY camera on a system with a valid driver. Apple provided a valid driver (all drivers interface to the same APIs). Just because Apple has a driver that ties into a Windows XP API, doesn't automatically mean that Apple has access to MSN messaging/audio/video conferencing protocols...these are two completely different things. It's like saying that since both Ford and Toyota make trucks that run on gasoline, that you can now use Ford parts to repair your Toyota.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
It should be ACPI multiprocessor. MPS is an older standard which was replaced by ACPI.

MacProDude said:
Since I only have a WinXP upgrade disk, I just decided to pull the HD from the PC I'm replacing into my Mac Pro (setting it to cable select mode), booted up in windows, and installed the bootcamp 1.1 drivers.

I'm having a few problems in Device Manager, including an unknown USB as well as a PCI devices and a "Base System Device" w/o a driver. One thing I noticed looking at the Intel docs is that it mentioned the MPS HAL...I see in mine that XP is using the ACPI multiprocessor HAL.

Can someone who did a new XP install w/ boot camp do me a favor and check their device manager and see if theirs is MPS multiprocessor or ACPI multiprocessor? I may need to install anew, after all (?)

Device manager: View: Devices by connection. It should be the first or second level item.

Thanks!

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
after installing the 1.1 updated drivers on my macbook pro, windows bluescreens and reboots. when i try to reboot into safe mode or the last known config, it reboots but the trackpad/mouse and keyboard does not work. any ideas? is a reinstall the best option?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
xserve said:
Somehow, Apple updates the OSX iSight driver with BootCamp 1.1

A deeper look into "Install Boot Camp Assistant.mpkg" package content, you'll see a "iSightDriver.pkg" file inside. Look inside "iSightDriver.pkg" and u'll see a "Archive.pax.gz". If you extract this file, you'll see "IOUSBFamily.kext" and "QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component".

I have no idea why Apple includes a OSX iSight driver in the BootCamp Installer. Anyone know why???

note: this iSightDriver.pkg is iSight driver for OS X, not Windows.

-
XServe

Good find, maybe someone at apple made a mistake and put it in by mistake. There's no use for it in windows and bootcamp doesn't update osx software at all.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
wtmcgee said:
after installing the 1.1 updated drivers on my macbook pro, windows bluescreens and reboots. when i try to reboot into safe mode or the last known config, it reboots but the trackpad/mouse and keyboard does not work. any ideas? is a reinstall the best option?

Boot into safe mode. You should have the keyboard working in safe mode, if not use an external USB keyboard and mouse. However you might not have those available.

It's usually better in windows to remove older drivers before installing new ones. I'm not the best at telling people how to fix stuff, i'm do a lot better hands on. Maybe with some more details i'll be able to help you.

Anyway boot into safe mode if you can with an external keyboard and mouse and see if you can use them. I'll try and help you from there if i can.

jfig24

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2006
I think 1.1 is hit or miss for some people. Last night I updated my drivers and bluetooth was not working in windows...which is not good for me since I have a bluetooth logitech mouse. Bluetooth wasn't even listed in Device Manager. Also, my wireless would connect to my network, but I couldn't access any websites or use any online programs. Since I haven't really put anything of importance on my Windows partition, I reformated and reinstalled Windows XP. Well, the Bluetooth now works, but I am not able to connect to anything with my wireless connection. It stays stuck at "trying to obtain network address". I have rebooted my router, my cable modem, and the computer severtal times to try and fix it, but no luck. Anyone else having similar problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.