Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngrussell

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
Just wondering in MPEG Streamclip will work in Catalina. IF not, anybody got a suggestion for alternate?
By the way, is there any problem with installing OS Catalina on a external SSD drive to test etc. Keeping main map computer drive in Mojave? TIA

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My iTunes library is quite large so I have it on an external drive the Music app is showing my songs and play lists but cannot locate the file when I press play. Terrible
If you open Music > Preferences > Files, what does it say under Music Media folder location?

And are Keep Music Media folder organiced checked?

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Yup. Because of this my $420 Fujitsu ScanSnap becomes unusable if I upgrade since the ScanSnap software is 32 bit and an upgraded software is not available. There is a 64 bit version of a newer differently named software that is NOT compatible with my scanner. So I can either buy a newer model or more likely I will partition my drive and dual boot into Mojave for Scanner operations. Not looking forward to that!!!
Fujitsu released a 64-bit update over a year ago AFAIK. I didn’t realize it dropped some scanner models. Are you sure? Why don’t you install it and try it while on Mojave.

Last edited:

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Just wondering in MPEG Streamclip will work in Catalina. IF not, anybody got a suggestion for alternate?
By the way, is there any problem with installing OS Catalina on a external SSD drive to test etc. Keeping main map computer drive in Mojave? TIA

If you made a clone, booted up on that clone, then updated that to C, I’d say maybe. Since this change runs around and finds things to “improve” it might find things like your audiobooks on the internal drive and make them incompatible with the old iTunes, start converting your video files to new formats... You know how helpful Apple thinks they need to be. :)

Reactions: johngrussell

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Protip for the future:

If you buy a scanner or a printer, buy something that's network connected. They typically don't need low-level drivers and won't be obsoleted by OS upgrades in the future.

It's especially good if it provides a local web interface for scanning. However, beware of anything that requires cloud services.
Fujitsu ScanSnap is in a league of its own. It’s a professional scanner series that no other brand can match.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
I had it hang up on "Setting up your Mac" on two different Macs after it completes install. Did an online search with my iPhone and apparently it's common. The solution is to shut down the computer holding down the power button, and then restart. I imagine the installer will be updated shortly. Also, BEFORE it lets you start, the installer DOES show you which 32 bit apps won't work anymore, thankfully!
[automerge]1570541950[/automerge]
Anyone else is stuck in "Update Apple ID Settings" infinite loop? I am unable to setup Keychain as well, it just keeps looping between my Apple and Mac login passwords.

Yes, on 2 machines. Just hold down the power button to shut down the Mac, and then start up again. You'll be fine. It's a common problem with this installer. I did a search online to discover this.

Reactions: TrainFromUkraine

TrainFromUkraine

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Bluegrass State
I had it hang up on "Setting up your Mac" on two different Macs after it completes install. Did an online search with my iPhone and apparently it's common. The solution is to shut down the computer holding down the power button, and then restart. I imagine the installer will be updated shortly. Also, BEFORE it lets you start, the installer DOES show you which 32 bit apps won't work anymore, thankfully!
[automerge]1570541950[/automerge]

Yes, on 2 machines. Just hold down the power button to shut down the Mac, and then start up again. You'll be fine. It's a common problem with this installer. I did a search online to discover this.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
I use a NAS drive for my iTunes library so I hope none of this is messed up after I upgrade?? Can anybody tell me who has a similar setup? I fear it ain't going to be pretty.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Thank you for the reply and a link as well. I will hold out for now I suppose. I can wait a little longer until thing settle, if I didnt need Citrix I would just go ahead and upgrade. I also have old Rosetta Stone software that will no longer work if I upgrade :/ sad times.
Speaking of Rosetta Stone. That’s one reason why I’m not updating to Catalina. I read somewhere yesterday that Rosetta Stone is going to release their iOS app for Catalina, using the new iOS-to-macOS porting framework. Does anyone have any details on that? Will this app require a subscription or can we continue using our perpetual license with it?
I don’t want to pay Rosetta Stone again for something that I already bought once. But, I think they are planning to leverage the lack of support for 32-bit apps in Catalina as an excuse for making the perpetual license owners pay them monthly subscription fee to use their 64-bit software. They are basically going to keep their faithful customers hostage to their greed by preventing us from being able to update our Macs with new OS releases unless we pay them monthly ransom fees for their software (which we have already paid ridiculous amounts of money for) to work.
[automerge]1570542655[/automerge]
Maybe, but if it requires low-level drivers and the company doesn't support it after a few years, it becomes a paperweight.
It doesn’t. It works in Windows.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
If you use a Samsung SSD T5 encrypted, the Samsung Portable SSD SW drive no longer works. My SSD is currently inaccessible and that's absurd. See also here https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...-working-with-macOS-10-15-Catalina/m-p/860123

Just to clarify: if you have formatted your T5 to APFS and do NOT use the software that comes with the T5, you'll be fine..... First thing I always do when getting a new T5 is to reformat the drive to APFS and get rid of that proprietary software that Samsung has installed.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Just to clarify: if you have formatted your T5 to APFS and do NOT use the software that comes with the T5, you'll be fine..... First thing I always do when getting a new T5 is to reformat the drive to APFS and get rid of that proprietary software that Samsung has installed.
Don't you need that software for firmware updates?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Anyone else is stuck in "Update Apple ID Settings" infinite loop? I am unable to setup Keychain as well, it just keeps looping between my Apple and Mac login passwords.
Sure. Logging out and back into iCloud seems to help.

(Resetting the Keychain worked on one of my Macs, but on the other I had to log out and back in to iCloud...which is kinda messy because I have two ids, one for iCloud and another for Music and apps.)
[automerge]1570543320[/automerge]
That's what I did and still the files are not found
What did you do?

Is the Music Media folder location set to the external location?

Last edited:
Reactions: NetCatman

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
If you're running Catalina, there wouldn't be any need for a column stating whether an application is 32 or 64-bit. Doesn't the install process quarantine non-compatible applications (i.e. 32-bit)? I think that's why the column no longer exists.
I understand this but folks keep posting that the column exists, I'm just trying to clear up their confused postings.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
The thing I don't get is: they had a press embargo for reviews. Why couldn't they have let developers know the release date so they could make sure their apps were ready?

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Network time machine is not going swimmingly for me so far. About 7 hours and still “preparing for backup.”
Network Time Machine is a joke nowadays. Apple doesn’t make a network Time Machine target device anymore, and when you call in an issue with the Time Machine feature, which for me is incremental backups that are way too large, Apple Care refuses to look into it. They use the pretext that the target is a third-party device (NAS) even though the issue is with the Time Machine application running in macOS.

This is total and complete abandonment of the once famed ecosystem on the part of Apple. I’m surprised they didn’t drop the network Time Machine feature in Catalina, since they refuse to support it nowadays. I’m sure all the development of this feature ceased years ago, as the same bugs migrate from one macOS version to the next. Pitiful state of affairs, Tim Cook.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Calm down. This is what it looks like for me, that's all I know. macOS Mojave 10.14.6.
View attachment 867693
Why are you posting a Mojave screenshot in a Catalina themed forum? My post's about this have ALL been about that column not existing in Catalina.
[automerge]1570543862[/automerge]
Are you sure they are referring to what they see under Catalina and not Mojave?
As it turns out, the fellow I just responded to posted a MOJAVE screenshot. SMH at them, not you.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why are you posting a Mojave screenshot in a Catalina themed forum? My post's about this have ALL been about that column not existing in Catalina.

Uh, because the whole point of this column is to check whether or not you should upgrade to Catalina? Once you've upgraded it's too late anyway, surely you don't have any 32 bit apps installed because they are not compatible with Catalina. That's why you don't have the column. And sorry but this is an "upgrade from Mojave to Catalina" themed forum.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
[automerge]1570543862[/automerge]

As it turns out, the fellow I just responded to posted a MOJAVE screenshot. SMH
You may want to try this app:

Go64

Should work on Catalina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.