Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
...Once you've upgraded it's too late anyway, surely you don't have any 32 bit apps installed because they are not compatible with Catalina...
This, or the 32-bit apps will simply show up as greyed/crossed-out in the Applications folder after upgrading. I don't know why people insist on making such a big fuss over things they can't or don't want to comprehend. ?‍♂️

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I use Scansnap sort of - I have a Fujitsu Scansnap ix500, and all scans go directly to Evernote. Apparently with Catalina, this scanner will no longer work.

I update my MacBook Pro to Catalina, but I am waiting on 2 Mac's (and 2 Scansnap ix500 or whatever they are called) until some solution can be found.

Anyone out there using Evernote and the wonderful Fujitsu Scansnap ix500 scanner?

Aha! There is a Fujitsu ix1500 now. Anyone want to buy 2 ix500 scanners :)

Edit again - maybe I can get the ix500 scanners to work with Evernote on Catalina after all. I'll try on one machine and see.

Scansnap has new software that updated last week that is compatible with Catalina.

Reactions: NetCatman

neander

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
The Podcast app is consuming almost a combined 10 times as much cpu resources compared to the old Itunes with Podcasts.. Apple might want to work on the efficiency with that app. Itunes was ridiculously cpu light, its not really a big issue now either though.. but its annoying cpu levels at almost a combined 40%.

picaman

Cancelled
Oct 6, 2005
For all the scanner issue peeps: I know this isn’t a solution for everyone, but since I was only scanning receipts and occasional files, I stopped buying scanners and use Scanner Pro, an iPhone app - scans using your phone’s camera. Works very well and the quality is surprisingly good. You can even fax from it.

Reactions: haruhiko

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
For all the scanner issue peeps: I know this isn’t a solution for everyone, but since I was only scanning receipts and occasional files, I stopped buying scanners and use Scanner Pro, an iPhone app - scans using your phone’s camera. Works very well and the quality is surprisingly good. You can even fax from it.
A couple more that can do this as well: Apple Notes and Microsoft Office Lens.

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I took the plunge and it's working great with my 2015 MacBook Air. My only concern was it might render Studio One Pro and my Waves plugins useless, given all warnings issued by developers of many audio related applications. They work 100% no issues at all.
For the rest of the apps (Office suite, AutoCAD) no stability issues so far, no lags, and I actually liked the Music and TV apps. Seems they are listening to what some users complain about.

Reactions: FCX

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Sharing screen time across devices on Mac isn't working properly for me. It's not listing my iPhone under devices, for some reason its listing my Apple Watch instead. And when I go to screen time on my iPhone its not listing my MacBook under devices.

uneeko1ne

Suspended
Dec 16, 2017
Reno,Nv
finally just did a fresh install and everything seems way more snappier then when I just upgraded, now to the-download my apps and photos etc

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Baletin

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
In spite other sites told Illustrator CS6 will work - it wont! DO NOT UPDATE if you need it working (it is 64bit yes, but will not even launch - OS popups with "needs to be updated"

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 20.17.22.png

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I wonder if Apple will backtread and realize their huge error by bringing back Dashboard and 32 but support in 10.16.

Nope. 32 bit support will not be coming back. The 4 GB boundary is too limiting for the complex application of today and tomorrow.

Other companies like Nvidia, Google, etc. also dropped support for 32 bit OSes over a year ago.

Apple gave us 3+ years to upgrade to the 64 bit version or find replacement applications.

crescentmoon

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2016
Denver
I beta tested Catalina last night and all can say is don't upgrade to it. The new remake of iTunes is far from better and certain programs I use no longer work even though they are 64bit. For me a non starter.... and now I hear that the new mac pros will have Catalina as their operating OS.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Speaking of Rosetta Stone. That’s one reason why I’m not updating to Catalina. I read somewhere yesterday that Rosetta Stone is going to release their iOS app for Catalina, using the new iOS-to-macOS porting framework. Does anyone have any details on that? Will this app require a subscription or can we continue using our perpetual license with it?
I don’t want to pay Rosetta Stone again for something that I already bought once. But, I think they are planning to leverage the lack of support for 32-bit apps in Catalina as an excuse for making the perpetual license owners pay them monthly subscription fee to use their 64-bit software. They are basically going to keep their faithful customers hostage to their greed by preventing us from being able to update our Macs with new OS releases unless we pay them monthly ransom fees for their software (which we have already paid ridiculous amounts of money for) to work.
[automerge]1570542655[/automerge]

It doesn’t. It works in Windows.

I actually emailed them the other day asking about this and they stated they don't have a fix for it right now. I do know you can purchase a lifetime subscription that is web/app based for like $120 which is what I paid for my level 1-5 Spanish. Right now I won't upgrade because I want to use it and do not have a solution to address this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.