Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wasima

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
New York
Disasterous time installing Catalina - after 12 hours of setup time, had to power off, then rebooted, completed app updates and froze. Now it won’t reboot, on hold with Apple Support for the last hour... with no resolution.

Apple not your finest hour.

*Update: SSD is being erased completely - good job all my bitcoin is in Vault12

justme1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Just updated my 2019 iMac (512SSD), and went without a hitch. Only thing that I knew wouldn't work was MyHarmony, and I will use that on my 2013 MBA that will stay on Mojave - the upgrade took less than an hour start to finish.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Here you go:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-08 um 20.02.54.png

Reactions: Foxglove9

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Should I consider installing Catalina on a second partition? Or is the work that that requires not worth it? Also, is it difficult to delete the partition at a future time when I want to?

Reactions: arkitect

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Just updated my 2019 iMac (512SSD), and went without a hitch. Only thing that I knew wouldn't work was MyHarmony, and I will use that on my 2013 MBA that will stay on Mojave - the upgrade took less than an hour start to finish.

I had to update Harmony remote software on my MBP 2015. Seems to work fine but looks a lot different.

kol77

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2019
East Coast
I will say this one more time. There is NO column labeled "64 bit" I have "Application name, version, obtained from, last modified" THAT'S IT, nothing more even if I move the columns over. There is NOTHING to the right of Last Modified which is the last column!!!!!
oops

ChildOfTheWW

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
Guys... i am so unhappy with the music app. i have never used the column browser many of u r missing, but i have used the search option like 100 times a day. Looking for a word and get all files listed that contain these letters. Need this for various reasons. This option is totally gone. Need to go back, cant believe apple cut this.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Just noticed that my stuff wasn't deleted, it was moved into a folder on the desktop called "Relocated Items"

This means you must have been storing it places you shouldn't have been.
[automerge]1570561411[/automerge]
Guys... i am so unhappy with the music app. i have never used the column browser many of u r missing, but i have used the search option like 100 times a day. Looking for a word and get all files listed that contain these letters. Need this for various reasons. This option is totally gone. Need to go back, cant believe apple cut this.

Eh? That's exactly how it works. Type in the word "love" and I get every track in my library that contains the word.

I can't find anything that's missing from iTunes yet, thankfully.

Reactions: GlenK and NetCatman

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I had to update Harmony remote software on my MBP 2015. Seems to work fine but looks a lot different.

Yeah, and their brilliant repsonse:

When using macOS 10.15 Catalina (or higher), if you're using Harmony Hub or a hub-based remote such as; Harmony Elite, Companion/Home Control, Smart Control, Ultimate Home, or Ultimate, you can continue to use:
  • The Harmony mobile app on iOS or Android
  • The current MyHarmony app on a Windows
  • The current MyHarmony app on a macOS 10.14 or lower
How about updating your crappy app?

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
This is the first MacOS release that I won't be installing on at least one of my (4) Macs for the foreseeable future. Apparently I still have a variety of 3rd-party utilities and apps running 32-bit versions and I don't have the time or patience to either find 64-bit versions or buy new associated hardware.

Mojave is fine.

rumormiller

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
I wouldn't have upgraded to Catalina had it not been for iPadOS and needing to sync my reminders and such. First time with a macOS upgrade it feels like I've lost more than I've gained.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
Just because your app is 64-bit, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work. Only if the app is maintained by the publisher. For example, Creative Suite and Aperture are broken, even though they're 64-bit. Definitely back up your system, and even make a clone on an external SSD, so in case the worst happens, you can still go back. Every major update has a slight risk. If you're mission critical, don't update on a weekday. If you're non-technical, don't update for a while. If you don't make regular backups, it's time to buy an external drive and enable time machine. Seriously. Please don't do a major upgrade if your data isn't backed up.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well day one went okay with my install on a late 2015 iMac. On day two I seem to be running into memory use problems. Lots of spinning beach balls running iMessage, Safari, Mail, Music. I’ve got 32gb third party memory from OWC. I wonder if that is a problem? If I get more of this I. Going to have to do a clean install, and then look at new memory I guess. I should also looks to see what is running in the background before going all out.

Anyone else having memory issues?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You know they just moved the search field to the top left of the window, right?

Gives MUCH better results, with Apple Music, Your Library and iTunes Store in separate tabs. :)

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
these new Find My features like bluetooth beacons are also available on my non retina 2012 15" Macbook Pro ?

I cannot find any info of this, about some features not working..
Could somebody here perhaps give me an answer on this one.. ?

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Don’t quite understand all the complaints about ‘FREE’ system updates.
Except I wasn’t complaining. I was just addressing someone else’s question about how to sync, backup and restore using a mac now that iTunes is no longer there.

I will say this one more time. There is NO column labeled "64 bit" I have "Application name, version, obtained from, last modified" THAT'S IT, nothing more even if I move the columns over. There is NOTHING to the right of Last Modified which is the last column!!!!!
It may be easier to spot your 32 bit apps if you go to the ‘legacy software’ section under software instead of the ‘applications’ section. The former lists exclusively the 32 bit apps that are installed on your mac, while the latter lists every single app installed on the mac. It may be the case that all of your apps are already 64 bit, in which case you’d be ready for macOS Catalina.

Reactions: GlenK

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I used to be in that boat, but eventually abandoned my ever-aging bought-and-paid-for copy of CS5 Master Collection in favor of Affinity Photo and Designer (and now Publisher) years ago. I can honestly say I haven't missed Adobe's products at all. For what it's worth, all of the Serif Affinity apps work great on Catalina.

It took me long enough to learn PS (I'm a slow learner and an old dog not wanting to learn new tricks) and I don't use PS for photos as much as for graphics for websites and apps.
I just don't use it enough though to justify the monthly fee Adobe charges. The bought and paid for model works better for me when spread over several years.

If PS makes it to the iPad (rumor is that it is in final beta test flight right now) using it on an iPad Pro with pen would be nice but still $21 a month for something I might use once a month is steep. Cheaper to keep an old Mac with PS on it at hand when I need to do something.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Well day one went okay with my install on a late 2015 iMac. On day two I seem to be running into memory use problems. Lots of spinning beach balls running iMessage, Safari, Mail, Music. I’ve got 32gb third party memory from OWC. I wonder if that is a problem? If I get more of this I. Going to have to do a clean install, and then look at new memory I guess. I should also looks to see what is running in the background before going all out.

Anyone else having memory issues?
Well I just hope it's not OWC's memory.... I have 64 GB. If it is, I definitely will not be installing 10.15!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.