Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Can't get Sidecar working. Just says The device timed out...?
Fixed the issue with Apple Tech this morning. You will need them as fix involved resetting permissions (not as easy as you think with several devices involved) as well as Terminal and some password acrobatics. But she was a very good Technician and resolved the issue...

Reactions: NetCatman

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It may be easier to spot your 32 bit apps if you go to the ‘legacy software’ section under software instead of the ‘applications’ section. The former lists exclusively the 32 bit apps that are installed on your mac, while the latter lists every single app installed on the mac. It may be the case that all of your apps are already 64 bit, in which case you’d be ready for macOS Catalina.

Legacy Software on my machine seems to be more of a log of 32-bit apps I've ran in the past - not necessarily the 32-bit apps currently installed. For me, it is showing a 32-bit app I tried out many months ago, with a "Last Used" date. It was also uninstalled way back then, but it is still showing in the list (even after upgrading to Catalina). I've double checked the app is not at the path it specifies. If this truly should be showing the 32-bit apps installed, is there a way to do a rescan or clear this out?

aandre

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
I can’t believe they removed the Browser columns on the Music app.
[automerge]1570570944[/automerge]

ChildOfTheWW

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
This means you must have been storing it places you shouldn't have been.
[automerge]1570561411[/automerge]

Eh? That's exactly how it works. Type in the word "love" and I get every track in my library that contains the word.

I can't find anything that's missing from iTunes yet, thankfully.

I know you can still find files that way, but i need the original "Songs" view shrinked down to the files containing the search word including all other song tags.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Well I just hope it's not OWC's memory.... I have 64 GB. If it is, I definitely will not be installing 10.15!!
I doubt it's the OWC memory. I installed an extra 32 GB of OWC memory for a total of 40 and am seeing no excess memory usage on my new iMac.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
Until Voice Control works (almost) as well as Dragon, I see no need to update. I mostly use apps that I know will work in Catalina, (Scrivener, Vellum, Affinity Photo, Fade In, should all be fine) but Dragon is the big if. Technically the version I run shouldn't even work in Mojave, so I'm happy that everything does in fact just work. I love that they've created Voice control though. I just need it, and everything else to be stable. This computer is mission critical for my job, so I'll check back in around December.

Reactions: AdeFowler

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
My Canon software and utility are not 64 bit. So does that mean I can't print or scan? Its a new printer I bought 6 months ago. Canon MF731C/733C.

Mandarijntje

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2019
Amsterdam
I know you can still find files that way, but i need the original "Songs" view shrinked down to the files containing the search word including all other song tags.
It’s actually still there but it is hidden, super annoying.

In your menubar go to View -> Show Filter. Or use the shortcut Shift + CMD + F.

You have to do this every time you'll want to search because it keeps disappearing. I really hope they will change this back to the old situation.

picaman

Cancelled
Oct 6, 2005
Held my breath and updated: no major problems. Lots of weird half restarts and whatnot but patience and a beer got me through it.

One bit of oddness: it would not let me accept the terms and conditions no matter how many times I tried. And by not accepting the T&C it made it seem like it wasn’t accepting my iCloud password.

The solution: I have two iCloud accounts listed in System Prefs -> Internet Accounts. Went there and accepted the T&C on the second one and I never had to re-enter again.

Reactions: NetCatman

ChildOfTheWW

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
It’s actually still there but it is hidden, super annoying.

In your menubar go to View -> Show Filter. Or use the shortcut Shift + CMD + F.

You have to do this every time you'll want to search because it keeps disappearing. I really hope they will change this back to the old situation.

Thanks man, that will do it for the moment! But they really need to give the option to make it stick there, agreed!

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
My Canon software and utility are not 64 bit. So does that mean I can't print or scan? Its a new printer I bought 6 months ago. Canon MF731C/733C.

You can contact Canon to see if they will update their drivers and printer utilities before you update. For now you will have to use Apple's default drivers which will limit functionality of your printer, but at least you can use it for basic tasks.

uneeko1ne

Suspended
Dec 16, 2017
Reno,Nv
do I really gotta import all my music even tho it’s all in my music folder? I did a fresh install so I have all my music on a usb ( 270 gigs ) in every version of OS as long as it’s in the music folde it just put the music into “iTunes” so I figured it would just put it on the music app

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I don’t think so If it’s not 64 bit. But can’t you use the regular Mac software to use your printer?

I can but the printer has wireless scanning, duplex printing and scanning feed, laser color printing. It's not just basic printer from Canon. I guess I'll hold off on upgrading for awhile till I can be sure it works with the printer.
[automerge]1570578483[/automerge]
You can contact Canon to see if they will update their drivers and printer utilities before you update. For now you will have to use Apple's default drivers which will limit functionality of your printer, but at least you can use it for basic tasks.
Thank you, but I better hold off. I really like the wireless duplex printing and scanning features. Ill wait.

Reactions: arkitect and tgara

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Other than that, how was your install? (2015 MBP here as well.)

I had no trouble with the install. It was quick and I use email to log in (that works well too). My remote is a 650.
[automerge]1570580206[/automerge]
Yeah, and their brilliant repsonse:

When using macOS 10.15 Catalina (or higher), if you're using Harmony Hub or a hub-based remote such as; Harmony Elite, Companion/Home Control, Smart Control, Ultimate Home, or Ultimate, you can continue to use:
  • The Harmony mobile app on iOS or Android
  • The current MyHarmony app on a Windows
  • The current MyHarmony app on a macOS 10.14 or lower
How about updating your crappy app?

Should have noted that my remote is the cheap 650.

kerf0001

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Catalina Screentime "limit adult websites" doesn't appear to work on Chrome. My children need to be running Chrome for school. So I cannot limit access to Chrome. If this is only limited to Safari and not other browsers, it a fairly pointless feature at this point in time.

NetCatman

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Just because your app is 64-bit, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work. Only if the app is maintained by the publisher. For example, Creative Suite and Aperture are broken, even though they're 64-bit. Definitely back up your system, and even make a clone on an external SSD, so in case the worst happens, you can still go back. Every major update has a slight risk. If you're mission critical, don't update on a weekday. If you're non-technical, don't update for a while. If you don't make regular backups, it's time to buy an external drive and enable time machine. Seriously. Please don't do a major upgrade if your data isn't backed up.

Party-pooper.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
PlayOnMac doesn't work :(.

CCC'ing to encrypted disks is now a pain in the ass - your previous bootable AFPS+ Encrypted disks are useless. So, I guess I'll just rely on Time Machine and have CCC backup my User's folder to an encrypted disk (not bootable).

Woke up to my Mac having crashed sometime overnight (set it to run all night for Photos). Been running for 2 days now for my 120+GB Photos library - 80% done.

Tried to share Apple Notes folder only to have it say sorry it couldn't share... and now it is working surprisingly.

Xcode failed to update several times and got stuck in a loop so I just uninstalled it.

I repeat from a previous post - My 4k Samsung monitor works perfectly now with my MBP 13' 2017 (before I had to connect/reconnect the cable several times for the monitor to recognize the connection). Works normally now.

Reactions: Marekul

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
PlayOnMac doesn't work :(.

CCC'ing to encrypted disks is now a pain in the ass - your previous bootable AFPS+ Encrypted disks are useless. So, I guess I'll just rely on Time Machine and have CCC backup my User's folder to an encrypted disk (not bootable).

Woke up to my Mac having crashed sometime overnight (set it to run all night for Photos). Been running for 2 days now for my 120+GB Photos library - 80% done.

Tried to share Apple Notes folder only to have it say sorry it couldn't share... and now it is working surprisingly.

Xcode failed to update several times and got stuck in a loop so I just uninstalled it.

I repeat from a previous post - My 4k Samsung monitor works perfectly now with my MBP 13' 2017 (before I had to connect/reconnect the cable several times for the monitor to recognize the connection). Works normally now.
I haven’t gotten xcode to update either.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.