Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IamTimCook

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016
I can confirm that 4K iTunes movies are now streaming on the 2017 iMacs!

Not all movies are update yet for me but more start appearing with the 4K label when I check at later times.

Glad wasn’t going to be limited to the 2019 models or later.

flexiboy1912

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
To people who have used the GM in the past week: how is stability? How much have things improved since the beta this summer?
For me biggest issue is artwork no longer working 100% , I started it on one Mac using the GM and iTunes just chewed up all my RAM before crashing my Mac. On another with a USB attached library all my home videos are missing artwork even though the thumb nails show it. Also Citrix work space app isn't working for Catalina so if you need to connect to work like me DON'T install

flexiboy1912

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
I will for sure update all my remaining Macs tonight. I have been using the beta version for the lat many months, and thought there has been a few issues, most were caused by 3 things; no 32-bit applications in Catalina, the new Boot ROM version for Mac Pros, and the split-up of iTunes.

The 32-bit application issues are caused by vendors not upgrading their applications long ago, and for the most part is sorted by updating, or finding alternatives.

The Boot ROM issues were solved, and though it took forever, we were beta testers for a reason.

iTunes being discontinued and broken into Music etc., is just a change - Live with it.

Of course some people will say what about the problems with the iCloud files and sync, and again I say "We are Beta testers for a reason".
Its not just a change , artwork doesn't work after its split and has been on the forums for ages

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
To people who have used the GM in the past week: how is stability? How much have things improved since the beta this summer?
Apart from the initial bug(?) forcing some - including me - to repeat the initial login to iCloud ad nauseam, possibly because of issues with the Cloud Keychain, it's been quite good and stable. No complaints in normal use.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This update is killing Team Fortress 2 on the Mac due to the 64-bit requirement.

TF2 is a very casual game for me. Every now and then I jump on a server, have some fun, and jump out. It's not going to be worth it for me to get a Windows machine or a boot camp partition to keep playing, which means when I finally do upgrade to Catalina I'll probably be done with TF2.

This makes me extremely sad. All because Apple developed this weird hatred of 32 bit code.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
So... Nothing appeared in "Software Updates" (I'm on latest beta, already deleted beta public profile), but when I typed Catalina in App Store and pressed "Download" Preferences app asked me if I wanted to download this update and started downloading 8.09 GB file. Is this gonna work?
You tell us, did you go from Build 19A582a to build 19A583? :)

I'm on the Beta 11/GM, too, and the final doesn't appear in my Software Update, either, making me assume the two versions are practically identical.

DragonRider

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I can confirm that 4K iTunes movies are now streaming on the 2017 iMacs!

Not all movies are update yet for me but more start appearing with the 4K label when I check at later times.

Glad wasn’t going to be limited to the 2019 models or later.
Anybody know if this will work when connected to HDMI w/ 4k Screen/TV?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Lol if the developer hasn't updated their up with 14 years of notice.. the app is dead. Move on to something else.
14 years? Plenty of 32-bit apps have been updated within the last 14 years, even within the last 5 years. Perhaps the developer simply didn't see the need to compile it as 64-bit, or one of the app's dependencies was still 32-bit.

Apple has given developers just over a year of notice, not 14 years. The alerts started appearing in 10.13.4 High Sierra in spring of 2018.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
For those of us who actually use the Dashboard and have STUFF on there, like sticky notes with actual information on them - what happens after updating? I know the Dashboard is gone, but what happens to the active widgets?

Reactions: Javabird and Morod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.