Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Increase jobs for the American workforce, potentially higher quality standards, increase prices on apple products, reduce overall profits.. For the most part, right?

Not sure what the tax ramifications for Apple might be, but I am sure that is a consideration as well. I don't see Apple bringing all of its manufacturing back to the United States anytime soon.. But for its more sophisticated technologies that it wants to keep out of the hands of its competitors I could absolutely see manufacturing those products in the US as a strategy.

You've hit the nail on the head! Thank you.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Well,, it's no surprise... Chine likes to try and prevent everything, but we all know by now, it doesn't always work to their advantage..

How can you possibly sell upcoming iPhone 6 accessories, when the phones not even been released yet?

Mockups don't hurt anyone .... Their just like the same everywhere else.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Apple has so much cash in the bank, so much market share, and such a loyal customer base that it does not need to cater to investors like Carl Icahn. Hopefully Cooks slight "opening" of the door doesn't spur a tidal wave of all the rats trying to rush in, if you get my drift.

Umm... You do realize that it is the investors who own Apple, right? It's their company, they can do whatever the heck they want with it. If the board and execs won't comply, they will be replaced. Just as simple as that.

----------

I agree as well (maybe that does make it more). The reality is that bringing it back to the US is not so simple. The manpower cost is a bit higher but that will not translate into significant cost increase to the purchaser. The problem is the availability of workers capable and willing to do the work needed.

That is not the problem, either. The problem is quite simply logistics. Everything that is needed to assemble an iphone is manufactured at or near by that same massive industrial complex.

If you run out of some critical part mid-production, you can send out a couple of guys with milk carts and within the hour they'll be back with the stuff you need. As opposed to having someone fax an order, get the parts loaded on a truck, wait for the truck to unload at a terminal, have the goods loaded on an airplane, airplane lands somewhere and goods going to customs, then another terminal, then picked up by a truck, delivered to yet another terminal, picked up by delivery truck, transported to factory and then finally being checked in at the assembly line, which has been halted for a few days now.

JDSoCal

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2014
You can't honestly believe that American workers wouldn't do the same thing.

Is that why the Chamber of Commerce is pushing hard for more immigration, because Americans will do menial tasks? iPhones would have to be $2000 to get (non illegal aliens) to make them.
th_shakinghead.gif

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I will never understand America.

This reminds me of a sandwich called the "Triple Baconator" you can apparently buy there.

Hahaha, yeah, that’s pretty foul. We [my family] don’t eat that junk (including the KFC monstrosity I posted). :)

It’s bad all over though ... a friend of ours from London introduced us to the Chip Butty when we were in a pub in NYC. Talk about a carb/unhealthy overload: chips (french fries) on a big white roll with +butter+. Yikes. :D

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
What did Apple expect when they trusted their secrets to China.

I would sell Apple out in a heartbeat to make several times more than what Foxconn pays in a single step.

kdarling

macrumors P6
That is not the problem, either. The problem is quite simply logistics. Everything that is needed to assemble an iphone is manufactured at or near by that same massive industrial complex.

The cases and plastic parts might be made at or near Foxconn. And sometimes the batteries are made somewhere in China.

But the major parts have to be shipped in from elsewhere.

For example, the Gorilla Glass comes from Taiwan, Japan and the USA.

Most importantly, the chips and displays come from Korea, Japan and the USA.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Bring the jobs to America.

Not really feasible for the iPhone. China has an enormous manufacturing advantage both in terms of manpower and proximity to other supply chain resources. Both finished components (e.g. camera modules) and factory supplies (eg replacement parts for a lathe or injection machine) are easy to get in east Asia.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Apple should just announce the iPhone 6 at WWDC! Since they have two phones in development along with the old 4" model so it three phones to do a bang up job of announcing. Start with the 4.7" in June, 4" upgrade in August and 5.5" in October!

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Not really feasible for the iPhone. China has an enormous manufacturing advantage both in terms of manpower and proximity to other supply chain resources. Both finished components (e.g. camera modules) and factory supplies (eg replacement parts for a lathe or injection machine) are easy to get in east Asia.

They got the knowledge from us!

----------

Solution?

Build the items in the USA where you can more closely monitor your product and also where its perfectly legal to wire tap and monitor the hell out of everyone to make sure no information is leaked.

I'm all for this but it would take some time to build the supply chain and train/hire new workers. It can and should be done in the USA.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
They having so many workers making I phones. It inpossible to stop. Maybe worker getting s few 1,000 and that is big money in China. It will stopping when nobody caring what next phone look like. IPhone now looking all the same not know why anyone care anymore. Steve Jobs could making you excite but this other guy look like he working in walmart

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
In this context it is.

If there was an army of people policing the selling iPhone accessories in Italy.

Then saying that Apple hired hitmen from the mob would be a racist statement. But typing the word mob...(alone) is not racist.

I am sure you will disagree based on the shortsightedness of your comment.

I am not shortsighted. You do not know what racist means. Nor did you even follow the context properly. :rolleyes:

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Apple Reportedly Asking Chinese Authorities to Crack Down on iPhone 6 Leaks

Forget about a free Chinese interweb, get your priorities right first. What do we want 'NO iPhone LEAKS', when do we want them 'NOW'.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Hire Americans to build a product designed for and by Americans to consume primarily in America ? What a novel concept !
It's not primarily used in America though is it? The iPhone is used world wide, Apple is based in the USA but it doesn't mean the iPhone is made only for the USA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.