Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Actually, yes. This Chinese knockoff market is starting to get out of hand. As a designer I find it horrendous that these companies that are paid a great deal of money to manufacture these AMERICAN-designed products turn around, leak the specs, and then run off to create this cheap knockoff ****.

Tim Cook is right, this is a question of character and morality. Unfortunately you don't see a great deal of that in those *specific* markets.

Um...have you been in a factory in the US lately?

For one years salary(or less), some of the workers here will sell the own kin and most definitely for provide iPhone parts.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs would never had been caught dead in a lunch meeting with that swine Carl Icahn. Not only is Icahn is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the financial system as an "institutional investor," there really was no reason for Cook to sit down with him and break bread. Apple, since Steve Jobs passed away, has instituted a dividend, is in the process of splitting the stock, and seems to be getting a bit too "cozy" with Wall Street. That is something that we should all be concerned about, because once Wall Street digs its nails into you, looking out for the best interests of the consumer is all over IMO.

I think we can all also agree that Steve Jobs would never leave his company in the hands of some bozo. Seriously, you guys are incredibly arrogant if you think you know what's better for Apple than Steve Jobs. I think some of you are forgetting that Tim Cook was chosen by Steve Jobs, for a reason.

You all can't stop talking about how YOU think you know what Steve Jobs would have done, yet you're completely doubting the thing he HAD done, which was choose Tim Cook and groom him into becoming the CEO over many years.

Quit acting so self centered like you personally knew Steve Jobs and what sort of things he approved of. You've never met the guy, you've never worked for him. Tim Cook and the Apple execs were close friends/colleagues with Steve for a decade, and built Apple just as much as Steve did. The fact of the matter is he trusted Tim Cook more than any other person to lead HIS company (not yours). So if you want to constantly worship Steve, the first thing you should probably do is have faith in the decision HE made. If you look at things rationally, instead of through your tinted glasses and warped perspective, you'd realize that Tim Cook has been doing a phenomenal job leading a briiant group of people who are notoriously difficult to manage.

Reds622

macrumors regular
May 9, 2014
I can't speak for Steve Jobs. Nobody can. And he engaged in profiteering while CEO, so who knows what he would say about recent activities. As a marketer, he's irrelevant now because he's not running the company anymore, and if he were he could be different in approach or, if nothing else, have done the same things and marketed it with slick speech to his target market - who would in turn blindly accept it.

But here's the real point: TC has control over Apple. He sits at his desk to do whatever it does an Apple CEO does. He does not run Foxconn or any other company. He has ZERO control or direct influence. He can go lease someone else's factory, or make his own. That's all he can truly do.

Sounds like a lot of "double speak" to me.. It's either Steve Jobs would have become closer with Wall Street, or he wouldn't.. It's either he would meet with Icahn, or he wouldn't. I hold the view that he wouldn't, and certainly would not take too kindly to an outside "institutional investor" trying to strong arm Apple into making financial choices that would really benefit a select few. Point is, it is almost undeniable at this point that Tim Cook is making Apple into more of a "corporation." I mean, his role at the company before Steve Jobs died was centered around the financial industry, although obviously Jobs was concerned about this as well undoubtedly.

Apple has so much cash in the bank, so much market share, and such a loyal customer base that it does not need to cater to investors like Carl Icahn. Hopefully Cooks slight "opening" of the door doesn't spur a tidal wave of all the rats trying to rush in, if you get my drift.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Chinese Leaks made them a lot of money because it's Samsungs Bread and Butter for designs. Specially during the early iPhone years.

Reds622

macrumors regular
May 9, 2014
I read through every single one of the response to that stupid comment, not a single one of them understands what bringing production to the US would do.

Increase jobs for the American workforce, potentially higher quality standards, increase prices on apple products, reduce overall profits.. For the most part, right?

Not sure what the tax ramifications for Apple might be, but I am sure that is a consideration as well. I don't see Apple bringing all of its manufacturing back to the United States anytime soon.. But for its more sophisticated technologies that it wants to keep out of the hands of its competitors I could absolutely see manufacturing those products in the US as a strategy.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
So what fire me, I just made 50,000 american dollars off that blurry pic using my cheap knock-off cell phone which is 10 years my yearly salery, so said the Foxcom employee.....

Somehow if the Chinese authorities are involved, getting fired would be the least of your concerns.

paintersforms

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
Apple working with Chinese authorities to stifle speech. Complaining to their suppliers-- that's one thing, because they're paying them to be discreet. But going to the fascist Chinese government doesn't sit right with me.

I'd ask Tim Cook if cheap, exploited Chinese labor is worth the leaks and ethical problems. Suicide nets, sir.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
No more guessing:

28u5jsn.jpg

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
What is this purpose of this statement? Please don't tell me you think "american" workers are less likely to leak secret....

What @calisurfboy said. If Apple wants real control over it's property, shouldn't the property at least be in the same country as the company? I am saying nothing about lazy Americans or welfare states or blah blah politics. I'm just saying that if you really want to keep secrets, you need to keep your cards physically close to your chest.

Solution?

Build the items in the USA where you can more closely monitor your product and also where its perfectly legal to wire tap and monitor the hell out of everyone to make sure no information is leaked.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
What @calisurfboy said. If Apple wants real control over it's property, shouldn't the property at least be in the same country as the company? I am saying nothing about lazy Americans or welfare states or blah blah politics. I'm just saying that if you really want to keep secrets, you need to keep your cards physically close to your chest.

And here I just thought it was a joke. As if the security was going to keep an eye on China from America.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

I don't disagree, but I'm simply speaking to human nature. Someone will pay, and someone will take the pay in exchange for information.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I read through every single one of the response to that stupid comment, not a single one of them understands what bringing production to the US would do.

Well, the fact that Apple is manufacturing the Mac Pro in the U.S. may be a sample of what Apple plans to do in the future with other products.
I just hope this move will not increase the prices of their products.
I'm still trying to understand why such a small aluminum cylinder of a computer costs $ 3,000+

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
All kidding aside, simply using the word "ninja" is not racist. :rolleyes:

In this context it is.

If there was an army of people policing the selling iPhone accessories in Italy.

Then saying that Apple hired hitmen from the mob would be a racist statement. But typing the word mob...(alone) is not racist.

I am sure you will disagree based on the shortsightedness of your comment.

zeram1

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
So good ol' Timmy goes after poor saps in China (who are making 25cents/hr), whilst posing all smiley faced with Dr Dre?:mad:

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
If Tim Cook is going to "double down" on security, then that must mean that Macrumors would be going down, or everything we see on this site is all fake...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.