Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I could not agree with this statement more!

I agree as well (maybe that does make it more). The reality is that bringing it back to the US is not so simple. The manpower cost is a bit higher but that will not translate into significant cost increase to the purchaser. The problem is the availability of workers capable and willing to do the work needed. Even in China finding the number of workers required has been difficult which is why they work such crazy hours. They are just beginning to get that under control. My thought is that like with the Mac Pro, bring it back to the US means automating the process enough to control cost and reduce the number of workers needed to something manageable. Unions is another problem which I will intentionally not address here. To me it seems clear that Tim is working this the right way. He found a way to strike the balance of workers to automation with the Mac Pro (low volume count) and brought that back. He now needs to figure out how to scale that for the phone/pad production lines. For this he seems to be working the supply chain, by investing in sapphire production here in the US.

You may say lots of crazy things about Tim, but from my vantage point he is taking the right steps to do the right things (he is not an innovator like Steve maybe, but he now has jony and jimmy for that).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Actually, yes. This Chinese knockoff market is starting to get out of hand. As a designer I find it horrendous that these companies that are paid a great deal of money to manufacture these AMERICAN-designed products turn around, leak the specs, and then run off to create this cheap knockoff ****.

Tim Cook is right, this is a question of character and morality. Unfortunately you don't see a great deal of that in those *specific* markets.
Yeah, right. Then places like MR will be filled with "moral" people demanding that Apple release specs of unannounced products, citing the Bill of Rights in some silly way.

----------

Solution?

Build the items in the USA where you can more closely monitor your product and also where its perfectly legal to wire tap and monitor the hell out of everyone to make sure no information is leaked.
I think you are mixing up your political rants.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Apple shouldn't get TOO secretive... after all, the leaks build up product interest momentum before official announcements.

A company like Apple that doesn't release products every day (like certain others I could mention) doesn't suffer if a little bit of information is fed to the world through unofficial drip-feeds.

The fans need something to feed on!

No its really only us (people on mac rumors) who need something to feed on...

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The truth is that I'm sick and tired of "Leaked News". It's like watching spoilers before going to see a movie.

I prefer to see the actual product officially announced.

Yeah it is a lot like spoilers... The last iPhone keynote was like a recap of the summer. We knew everything

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
So first people on this forum mock and criticize Tim Cook for not "doubling down" (or so they think). And then news breaks out that they indeed ARE cracking down on leaks, and now you all on this forum are criticizing them for doing that.

Proof that some of you on here can never be pleased.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
There was a football player from years ago, can't remember his name or who he played for, that said no matter how hard he was hit, he always got up slowly. That way the opponent could never tell if they hurt him.
I can't remember his name, either. But his nickname was Slug or Sloth, since he moved so slow between plays.

Reds622

macrumors regular
May 9, 2014
I agree as well (maybe that does make it more). The reality is that bringing it back to the US is not so simple. The manpower cost is a bit higher but that will not translate into significant cost increase to the purchaser. The problem is the availability of workers capable and willing to do the work needed. Even in China finding the number of workers required has been difficult which is why they work such crazy hours. They are just beginning to get that under control. My thought is that like with the Mac Pro, bring it back to the US means automating the process enough to control cost and reduce the number of workers needed to something manageable. Unions is another problem which I will intentionally not address here. To me it seems clear that Tim is working this the right way. He found a way to strike the balance of workers to automation with the Mac Pro (low volume count) and brought that back. He now needs to figure out how to scale that for the phone/pad production lines. For this he seems to be working the supply chain, by investing in sapphire production here in the US.

You may say lots of crazy things about Tim, but from my vantage point he is taking the right steps to do the right things (he is not an innovator like Steve maybe, but he now has jony and jimmy for that).

I don't think anyone is doubting Tim Cook's ability to manage the supply chain of Apple's products.. And I don't think anyone would ever doubt his ability to lead in that respect. HOWEVER, there should be serious doubts about Tim Cook making Apple less about "Different" and "Innovation," and more about "The Markets."

I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs would never had been caught dead in a lunch meeting with that swine Carl Icahn. Not only is Icahn is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the financial system as an "institutional investor," there really was no reason for Cook to sit down with him and break bread. Apple, since Steve Jobs passed away, has instituted a dividend, is in the process of splitting the stock, and seems to be getting a bit too "cozy" with Wall Street. That is something that we should all be concerned about, because once Wall Street digs its nails into you, looking out for the best interests of the consumer is all over IMO.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I think Apple did this because they are starting to manufacturing the iPhone, probably starting with June. So from now on the next leaks will be the real ones, if we will get any one

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Apple - wouldn't it cost less to make your own phones than to get others to do your work and hope they obey your demands (which they may not feel entitled to do)?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
what shocks me the most is that the iPhone with an 4.7 screen will be as big as the 5.1 equivalent of the competitors because of that damn huge bezel. cant even image an iPhone 5.5 its gonna be huuuuuuge

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I don't think anyone is doubting Tim Cook's ability to manage the supply chain of Apple's products.. And I don't think anyone would ever doubt his ability to lead in that respect. HOWEVER, there should be serious doubts about Tim Cook making Apple less about "Different" and "Innovation," and more about "The Markets."

I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs would never had been caught dead in a lunch meeting with that swine Carl Icahn. Not only is Icahn is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the financial system as an "institutional investor," there really was no reason for Cook to sit down with him and break bread. Apple, since Steve Jobs passed away, has instituted a dividend, is in the process of splitting the stock, and seems to be getting a bit too "cozy" with Wall Street. That is something that we should all be concerned about, because once Wall Street digs its nails into you, looking out for the best interests of the consumer is all over IMO.

I can't speak for Steve Jobs. Nobody can. And he engaged in profiteering while CEO, so who knows what he would say about recent activities. As a marketer, he's irrelevant now because he's not running the company anymore, and if he were he could be different in approach or, if nothing else, have done the same things and marketed it with slick speech to his target market - who would in turn blindly accept it.

But here's the real point: TC has control over Apple. He sits at his desk to do whatever it does an Apple CEO does. He does not run Foxconn or any other company. He has ZERO control or direct influence. He can go lease someone else's factory, or make his own. That's all he can truly do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.