Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Every time Apple pacifies the Chinese communists you realize all the other social status stuff Apple do is finely polished PR but in reality is pure BS. Cook is nothing more than a corporate suit making sure he maximizes shareholder value.
[automerge]1570975240[/automerge]
Can anyone name a global company that is not pandering to China ?
But for Apple they Think Different. Or are the Apple PR machine just coating it with sugar water?

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Sounds great in theory. Where will Apple make their products? They can’t just leave China immediately, it will take years. If Apple angers China, the Chinese government could seize all Apple assets in China. They could completely destroy Apple. Is that better than Apple playing nice while working on their exit strategy? Is leaving better than staying and continuing to have American influence in the country?
What exit strategy? Why give them the benefit of the doubt in such a way with zero proof? Because there’s plenty of proof the to the contrary. And yes. Leaving is better. Because maybe then it’ll give the Chinese populace a reason to question their tyrannical government. Right now they all get their shiny iPhones and are pacified.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Not surprising that’s how Hollywood rolls

Also not acceptable, Tim HongKong

Jeez Apple is looking like crap recently. I don’t care if stocks at an all time high. The brand is in the dumpster.

Lying to employees about why they banned the app that tracks the police state was a new low, too.

I suggest a new CEO immediately

Quickly reminded of a flashback from when they revealed iCloud is hosted on China state servers. What in the hell!

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
All this anger yet no one was upset when Dr. Strange’s boss was replaced with a white chick for the movies, instead of using the Tibetan monk from the comic books. This was done solely to get the movie into China.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If people feel that strong they should stop using Apple products. Apple and China arent going to change ways of doing business

I think slowing Apple upgrades will be one way to show them. And not signing up for their services since that’s their big push since they know hardware upgrades are becoming less attractive with plateauing features and sky high prices.

Are we all supposed to go Amish tho? Or to Android? What is the play here considering they’re all in bed with China?

An actually social conscious company (not a fake socially conscious one) needs to swoop in and disrupt, just like on social media front, but it’s tough to compete against the well established existing titans.

I’m actually thoroughly impressed with Gruber’s recent blog posts on daringfireball *repeatedly* calling out Apple for all their hypocrisy and misinformation. Kudos!

Last edited:

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
There are plenty of books that depict the west in the same line: Fahrenheit 451

That should be the baseline to draw the line.

If this is true, Cook and Co lost it. This is not design but corrupted values for $$.

I mean, if this true. They need to clarify this ASAP. I am starting to wonder what they really mean about Privacy also.

Last edited:

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
For those that forgot in order for a person in the US to become President he or she also has to avoid angering Israel if they wish to be elected as President of the United States. These days just about everyone has to avoid angering someone to avoid negative feedback. Quite often when kids anger their parents they lose their allowances or priveleges that they have. Anyone who angers another risks facing consequences. The US is not much different as certain protesters are also punished in the US. Pots calling kettles black..?
[automerge]1570979620[/automerge]
I don't think so. US companies do massive oil business with countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality.
And give billions in aid to states that commit war crimes against others which are not in compliance with UN Resolutions

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Unfortunately, this isn't any different than probably 90% of all companies that do business with China.
It's not just Apple. Companies have already started getting out of China but it takes a long time and costs money of which the cost is passed on to the consumer. I'm okay with that if it will get us out!

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Every time Apple pacifies the Chinese communists you realize all the other social status stuff Apple do is finely polished PR but in reality is pure BS. Cook is nothing more than a corporate suit making sure he maximizes shareholder value.
[automerge]1570975240[/automerge]

But for Apple they Think Different. Or are the Apple PR machine just coating it with sugar water?
Something to keep in mind though is that shareholder value brings in money to stocks listed in the US. Trump wants DOW at 30,000. How will DOW go to 30,000 and Nasdaq to 10,000 if numbers for stock don't add up..? Who will buy Apple shares and other US shares if Sales, earnings and profits are not there? If they are not there who will hire more employees and pay higher salaries?

Reactions: GreginNJ

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
And here we see one of the major issues with the world day. Huge corporations and media companies quietly influencing our every thought and opinion.

Apple - if you can’t allow your third party creators to rightly criticise oppressive and undemocratic regimes, then you shouldn’t be allowed to support causes like Product Red. It’s completely ingenuous to support causes like AIDS and sell rainbow watch bands in support of the LGBT community while, at the same time, refusing to condemn those who make the world a darker place. All in the name of selling phones. I have no idea how people like Tim Cook sleep at night.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
So "we don't give notes" predictably turned into "we provide the strongest possible notes to enforce censorship"

Well done Tim, at least your contempt for human rights has a measurable economic benefit
[automerge]1570983976[/automerge]
I don't think so. US companies do massive oil business with countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality.

Which is appalling. But at least you don't get to decide where the oil is buried. iPhones aren't dug up from Chinese mines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.